1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does anyone like this game?

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Greenlion420, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] It's not that bad, the graphics are great the story's o.k. it kinda lags when there's a large group fighting but i just boosted my ram and that seems to help. Why does everyone hate it so much?

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I too liked the game. It's not my favorite, but I did like playing through it despite the lag. I really love the exploration aspect of it all, and the graphics are sweet.

I think people were pissed off because of the speed of the battles (having to sit there while 19 zombies each take their sweet-ass time to walk clear across the screen to get to you one by one....uuuuugh :mad: ), the lack of wizards and learning/memorizing spells, the story was good but didn't really involve you in it much...it just gets really monotonous after a while. I got about 2/3 of the way through, with a party I felt was perfect for me, and I still lost interest. Still haven't finished it, and don't know if I will.

If the battles were pausable real time like BG, or at least if all the monsters in sequence moved at the same time, that would have helped a lot.

Also, there was really no "roll playing' per se. Your stats have no bearing on the success or failure of your character, other than the obvious basic reasons (like strength effecting your damage).

[EDIT - The mega-buggy release version is also what killed it for many people.]

[ April 10, 2003, 00:46: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

3. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The game isn't so bad.The fights are cool,but it would be better if you could skip the battle animations of the monsters.The story isn't bad either.But the dungeons are too big for my opinion.There isn't very much motivation if you have to play five houres for one map :mad: .There could be also a few more conversations between your group members,but that's only my opinion(that's the reason why I like the BG saga more than the Icewind Dale saga).But all in all the game isn't so bad :)

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  5. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31

Well excuse me, i'm rather new to the BOM and i was curious about others reactions to POR.

6. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] It sucks :) The game just sucks now ga away :mad: You guys scare me :eek: :eek:

7. dshadow Gems: 8/31

It's bad through and through.

8. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31

oh pish posh, i'm almost to the end for the first time, i've started many times and lost interest but this time i'm going for it.
    yes it's slow but come on it's not that bad.
    anyone tried Wizardry 8? talk about bad, and Wizardry 8 appears.

9. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Apearantly not, judging by the number of replies.

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ GreenLion420

I guess, GreenLion, in the end it only matters if YOU like it. If there's one undisputable fact I've learned in my short time here at SP (or in life, for that matter), it's this:

Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone here has one, and it usually stinks. :thumb:

If you like it and enjoy playing it, then it's a good game, period. Not every game is for everyone, hence the variety of great games there are to choose from. I don't understand why certain people like certain games, and vice versa. It's all about what fits you.

If you like it and you have fun playing, then it's a good game. Some people can't get past certain features and they ruin the experience for them. Arcanum, for example, was a major turd-bomb for me (payed $50 for that overrated dribble :mad: ). Same with Morrowind and a few others.

I was able to play Pool of Radience well and appreciated the good features, so I liked it quite a bit (after the patches, of course). I found it fairly challenging, visually pleasing, and I'm a big fan of the "hunt for cooler treasure and use it to crack more skulls" angle that's so prevalant in PoR and games like it.

Bottom line - don't go by what us losers think. We're not playing YOUR game, you are. Have fun.

11. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] O.K. i finished the game just before i went in for my operation and guess what? i was wrong everyone else was right. what a rip off, the final battle was the easiest. now after all that time (and money, i bought it when it came out) i'm sorley dissapointed.

12. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

*holds of big sign that says "POR SUCKS"

Man do I pity you, how were you able to finish that dreadfull game? :p

I have never played a game as bad as POR.

I'm considering burning it just for the fun of it :p

13. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

how can i not like this game while seeing people fell for it and had a bad experience with it, especially when i don't have the game?

14. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

[​IMG] I gave POR to my cousin and this time he accepted it! :D

It is finally over! POR is gone! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

15. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@jesper898,
    You got some money for it too?

16. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

@jesper898: That's terrible !!!!
    If you give me your adress I will send you immeadetly a new copy of the game. The game is a must !! ;)

17. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

@AlexGK: No I gave it to him for free :)

@Sephiroth: Not in a million years :p

18. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@jesper,

What now if they make an expansion or something repairin all the bugs making a cool story.... and so on in short making one coool game.And it'll require the original PoR installed then what?

19. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

Then I pity the fools who will actually buy it :p

20. Dragu&Barud Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] We`ve never played it but we`ve got the feeling it`s cool.I`d love to try it!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.