1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Finally!!

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Darien Noella, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  2. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Does anyone have the system requirements for it? I'm afraid it won't work on my P2 350 mhz (128 mb ram and ASUS TNT 2 card if it's of any help. Sorry, I'm no techie.)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Heh, I'm not used to websites actually giving any useful info :p

Bah, looks like I'm just below the minimum... Hope the minimum requirements on this site for Neverwinter Nights won't change or I can't play that either.

5. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My store already has it, i even asked my manager if i can buy one early, he said nope... have to wait until our store release date, but on the good side, i get off work when they start stocking that stuff, so i can buy it asap... not that is matters to anyone but i just felt i had to add my comment to this empty forum.

6. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The game does not look that good considering the minimum specs.
    Why so high what is it used for?

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually the specs on Ubi Soft's support page were rolled back to pentium 233 for the minimum. But since the p2 400 has been set on the official site like months ago, I can only say that this is another cheap stunt aimed to get more people to buy it because of lower specs than the game would actually run well on. So I think I'll just leave the higher specs listed on SP. Unless these lower specs were printed on the game box too... Can anyone that has the game check what the bottom of the box lists as min specs? (Just CPU speed, the rest is the same.)

8. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

whats it like so far? (those of you who have it)

9. Yseult Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I can't get the game to run. I've seen a lot of problems reported and the offical forum on the POR site is absolutely swamped - you can't through to post. Some people who can play it seem to think it's fun; others object to the way some of the rules have been adapted.

I can't get farther than the char-gen screen, myself, and I have a decent machine. If you haven't already bought it, I'd wait until these issues are resolved.

10. Frankfurt Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Bottom of box says: Pentium II 400 (Pentium III 500 recommended)

also, it isnt officially supported in windows 2000, but i spent an afternoon playing it, it only bailed to desktop once, and that was after like 4 hours of having it running

Frankfurt

11. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks... Seems like Ubi Soft is trying to rewrite history after all... Tsk, tsk. As if people didn't have enough trouble already.

12. Dane Gems: 1/31

I managed to get the game in (finally). It's a decent game as long as you don't expect an exact or even close D&D replica. You can't choose feats or skills which is a major bumer. The equipment seems like a highbrid of D&D and Diablo. I've also noticed that attacks of oportunity are messed up. The mobs have unlimited attacks of opportunity and your characters don't seem to get any. An orc walked right past my warrior to get to my sorcerer. He walked into my threatend area then back out...that is deffinately an AoO. Finally, rogue sneak attacks dont seem to work quite right. Ive flanked and gone first in the round (while the mobs are flat footed) and nothing. I did get a sneak attack in the middle of combat but cant figure out how or why. Other then these issues I would say the game is slightly above average as long as you play it as "just another game" and not as a "D&D crossover".

I guess I'll just have to wait for NWN to use a spiked chain with combat reflexes.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, well... They actually updated the minimum requirements on their support page. ;)
    The list on SP has also been changed to reflect the HD space minimums.

14. Dane Gems: 1/31

Well, I've been playing through this game. Getting hit with bug after bug after bug. Ive got a good 20 hours into the game and the save game bug hits me. I was expecting it a lot sooner if it were going to happen. Oh well, looks like my reign of terror in Myth Drannor has effectivly been put to an end. If Mythic stays on schedual Dark Age of Camelot will be out before PoR gets a patch. If that's the case I'll probably never touch the game again.

I really hope that this game isn't foreshadowing of what's in store for us in 3rd edition transitions. Eek.

15. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I don't think that PoR is totally indicative of the 3rd Edition rules. Mainly because PoR limits some of these rules like not allowing you to choose your feats and skills which makes no sense whatsoever. There is a lot of good rule changes in 3rd ed, but PoR just doesn't maybe cover them properly. But isn't it great to be able to make a Half-Orc Paladin/Barbarian/Sorcerer? Who wouldn't want one of those?

16. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I wouldn't. Too much of an exp point penalty. As for PoR2 being indicative of third edition rules, I've yet to play it, but I'd like to think not at least. They pretty much tried to impliment third edition rules into a second edition game half way through development (why in god's name they did this I will never understand). Hence, it's likely a half-assed effort at best. I really like third edition rules. The game is fairly simple to play if you spend enough time reading and learning. I'd hope other DnD titles released in the future will do more justice to the rules and differnt feats and in some cases skill can customize character greatly, as can prestige classes. One thing I've been thinking about that I'd like to see though. If third edition combat is implimented the way it should be (really turned based style but I know the opinion on that), I'd like to see a hot keyed feature in any new game that would grid the combat area with just a simple white lined grid so you can know what squares you're in relative to others. I haven't heard if PoR2 has this or not.

17. Dane Gems: 1/31

I wasnt saying anything about the 3rd edition rules. I was commenting on the games that call themselves 3rd edition.

As far as PoR being half 2nd edition, I don't see it. There isn't a trace of 2nd edition rules in there. There are skills and feats, you just can't choose them. That is so painful. My level 3 warrior has no really good feats. I want cleave damn it!

18. blazerskaggs Gems: 1/31

Why don't you just multiclass and get one level in barbarian. Then you'll have cleave.

19. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I didn't say it was half second edition. I said it was a half assed third edition product converted from a second edition product midway through development. Quite frankly, I would have been just as happy with a second edition product. It surely would have come out much more quickly. I did have a chance to see the box today, and I will say the game does look spectacular. The spells were particuarly nice. I'd even be interested in buying it for a filler type game perhaps, but not until I'm assured the potential bugfest is mostly fixed by a patch. But I have read some pretty bad reviews comparing it to Diablo (I'm sure that's a bit much). Also plenty of complaints about what they say is a poorly implimented combat system and interface, character creation process, storyline, etc. Sounds like nice filler till something else comes out though if the bugs are fixed properly. If I slugged it out through IWD, surely I can slug it out through another hack fest in PoR:2 if only to see the graphics.

20. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I wouldn't want a Half-Orc Paladin/Barbarian/Sorcerer either really, but the fact that you can make one is good. The comparison between IWD and PoR is a good one. I bought IWD and the add-on during the wait for BG2, and now I've got PoR for the wait for NWN. I personally like the combat and the interface which is very non-intrusive, however I would agree that the character creation is limited and I hate not being able to choose my feats and skill which means you can't customize your character very well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.