1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Using the "default party" (assuming BGII play) -- a few questions:

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Klorox, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Thanks Aldeth.

Can't wait to be my evil self. Mwa-ha-ha-ha. :evil:

2. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Viconia is in NW corner of Peldvale. Not exactly the corner, but almost.

3. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

@ Aldeth

Thanks for the info,

I actually also had Jaheira, Khalid, and a PC 1/2 elf mage/cleric along too. I was hoping to get Khalid killed before we had to kill Dynaheir because I thought he might not like that. Luckily the mountain bear across the bridge north of the gnoll fortress did the trick. Then I went back to Beregost and got Kagain. I think I'll kick Xzar out, I really don't like his whiny voice, then maybe drop my PC mage/cleric and pick up Vicconia. Thanks for the waring about the basilisks, I definitely would have run into them because I usually like to explore the whole area.

So I'm thinking I'm going to go with this party:
    PC 1/2 elf fighter/thief
    Edwin
    Vicconia
    Kagain
    Jaheira

which leaves one slot open for NPCs with quests.

Is BG I like BG II in that respect, that there are certain quests you can only do if you take the NPC into your party, or can I keep my PC cleric/mage and do the quests after talking to the NPC but not adding them to the party?

This way for roleplaying enjoyment issues I'll be able to take Edwin, Vicconia, and Jaheira along with me through SOA and TOB, swapping Kagain for Korgan. I will miss Keldorn's instant dispel magic though.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    There aren't quests like BG2. You can do anything regardless of who is in the party...

5. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

"then maybe drop my PC mage/cleric and pick up Vicconia"

How would you do that, I wonder.
    You can´t boot the pc, if that´s what you meant.

6. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

When I said "drop my PC mage/cleric" I meant the second Player created character that I am playing, the first slot is my protagonist the Fighter/thief. As it turned out, Garrick got bit by a black bear on the way to get Vicconia, so I had the space.

So now I've got my protagonist, fighter/thief, a cleric/mage, Vicconia, Kagain, Edwin, and Jaheirra. I'm in the mines of Naskel and so far I like how this party is working out.

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Well, I've decided to start off as a Human Ranger, and I dual classed over to Cleric after reaching level 2 as a Ranger.

It's a little cheesey, but my character has ** in missile and blunt weapons (as opposed to the * max allowed by single classed Clerics), will be able to dual weild in BGII, and has access to all Cleric and Druid skills, while advancing as a single classed Cleric. Very nice.

the assumed party is a good, balanced one. I think my protagonist covers any small weakness this party has.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @Scot - that will work - lots of clerics/druids though...

@ Klorox - agreed. If there is one weakness in the assumed party, the only healer you have is Jaheira, and since she's multi-classed, she levels rather slowly. Especially in the first couple of chapters, it's nice to have a second healer simply because you only can memorize a few healing spells until you hit level 7 and get cure serious wounds. So I agree that that character will fix the only weakness in the assumed party, plus give you a much more versitile cleric as you go through the game.

9. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

not to mention, since I plan on playing a (mostly) Good-Aligned party, my playing a Cleric will allow me to avoid the most annoying NPCs in BGII, Aerie and Anomen! :) :D

10. TBurma316 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I find the "default" party in BG1 to be the best from a story perspective. There are many ways I try to play, solo, my own characters etc but I always come back to the story. Its pretty much forced on us due to the beginning of BG2 but at least you can swap out two of the originals for who you want. I find the default group is a little light on healing in BG1 and you miss out on a few good clerical spells. I also dual Imoen at level 7 to keep it consistant with the sequel which leaves me minus a thief for some of the nastier traps :mad: . But it's doable with any PC class

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.