1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Will the game be turn-based combat like P+P?

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by DrizztDoUrden, Jun 26, 2000.

1. DrizztDoUrden Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

And a second question we will roll dice and will we do check (strenght,dexterity)like the real pen and paper RPG?
    Post topic .PoR will be a fabulus game.
    Farewell Drizzt the Dark Elf

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I believe PoR will have the option for both types of play ...turn-based or real time. You'll be able to adjust that in the game and play with the option you like better.

3. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

are you sure?
    I thought they said turn based only...

:confused:

4. Spirit Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Turn-based combat?
    Hmmm, i sure hope you can have real-time combat as well.

5. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Well, I hope you know what you're saying. :)
    Of course, this depends on what you call real-time combat. Was BG real time to you ? IMHO, it wasn't. It's impossible to control six chars in real time. You have to pause it to give commands. Doesn't that make it turn based ? I say yes, but that's fine to me. PnP-AD&D WAS turn-based wasn't it ?

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If any of you would read the stuff I post in my news, you'd know (go there and scroll down a bit)... but still I went back to that PoR reader interview and got the question you asked... here's the copy/paste version:

How is the combat going to be handled in this game? Is this going to be another mindless click as fast as you can to kill the monster, or is it going to hearken back to the old gold box style (and paper and dice style for that matter) and be turn based?
    John L

Jon Kromrey: We're giving players the flexibility to choose how they want combat to be handled in PoR:RoMD. Therefore, we created a "timed initiative based" combat round. What does this mean you ask? Well when combat initiated, the active character will see a green bar slowly ticking down under his/her cursor. This represents how long the character has to take their action. When it is gone entirely, the game cycles to the next character in the initiative order. (If you don't respond in time, the character makes an auto-defend move and the next player's character goes). We have given the player the ability as an option in the game to set how quickly that bar disappears... you can set it to very fast so that you do have a more real-time feel to the game, or you can turn it off entirely to give yourself complete turn based action like the good old days. You choose. :)

In other words, you can trust what I tell you :p

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Even though the PoR system offers a kind of real time element I have to say that for the best effect I prefer turn base combat. It's so hard to control 6 PC in real time with all the pausing it might as well be turn based. In real time things can get out of hand so quick one seocnd all is well and the next a party member is dead. If you slow the action down to the point where you can control everything it's just to slow. I'd rather have quick moves with time to plan between them. I see that in PoR you have this option.

8. Nazgul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

First. Yes. The game will be turn based. Mostly.

It will be in real time until a battle. once in 'Battle mode' then you go to turn based. The game will let you pick a time limit of each character. (10 seconds per character).

So first one character would go... move, attack(cast spell). Then the next character would go. If a character fails to go, it will do a default attack, unless you tell it you don't want to do anything.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.