1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weakling party..

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Vigilance, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Vigilance Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

So we've all heard about the super heroes, the powerful adventurers who conquered everything icewind dale could throw at them with relative ease, but what about those parties who were frighteningly normal?

I've decided to try a party wherein I accept the rolls i've been given, without altering them. This could have comedically disasterous results, like a fighter with 9 strength, but we'll see where it takes me. I think I am going to try it as a no reload party as well and on insane to boot. I think the early game is easy enough that I should be able to survive long enough to gain access to resurrection magic, but we'll see.

I figure i'll also take one of each class. So without further ado, heres what I've rolled up: Keep in mind I also used one of each race.

Halfing, Fighter:
    12str **axe **short sword
    14dex
    15con
    16int
    10wis
    10cha

Not as horrible as I might have feared, but still pretty weak. He will be tasked with the unenviable mission of holding the front line.

Gnome, Cleric *flails *maces
    15str
    12dex
    16con
    16int
    14wis
    10cha

Another surprisingly decent starting roll. She will be the main buffer, healer and rezzer of this party. She will be quite busy with all three of those tasks I imagine.

Half Elf, Bard *crossbows, *halberds
    13str
    14dex
    9con
    17int
    12wis
    15cha

That con...ouch. I will try to keep him in the back singing his songs. Hopefully I can avoid getting him killed too often, because the minute anything remotely tough gets near him he will be folding like a deck of cards.

Elf, Druid *staff *missle weapons
    15str
    8dex
    16con
    10int
    14wis
    16cha

Horrible dex, but will probably use a sling most of the time anyways, because despite her solid melee stats she will have a horrendous armor class. Will also be a solid nuker I hope.

Dwarf, Thief *bow *dagger
    14str
    12dex
    14con
    12int
    12wis
    11cha

Fairly medicore and dwarves don't seem to get good thief bonuses either. Despite this, he will be my scout, backstabber and trap breaker extraordinaire.

Human Diviner *missle weapons
    9str
    11dex
    12con
    15int
    17wis
    15cha

Main nuker and sometimes buffer.

So there you have it. The rolls actually were pretty decent compared to what I could have gotten. My party should still prove quite weak compared to most any other I've ever played though.

Tips, comments and luck wishing(I will likely need it) are much appreciated :) .

2. Demin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Good luck!
    If you play smart, you'll probably do just fine, although just looking at that bard's con. makes me cringe.

Sounds like that game is going to be alot of fun :p

3. Vigilance Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well I got through the orc caves outside of Easthaven and I used an interesting strat to do it. I knew I couldn't stand against the 4 ogres that you face on insane in a melee fight, so what I did was lure the orcs into the small passage leading into that big room, then I cast sleep and hold and the ogres were unable to get past their orcish comrades who were laying on the ground. Since they were stuck, I finished them off with ranged weapons.

Yeah it isn't glamorous, but you try standing up to some ogres who can fell you in one blow :p .

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Ha! That was exactly the same strategy I used last time. Ogres can not walk over sleeping orcs and become punchisons fast. :thumb:

As for your party, pretty mediocre, but not terrible. By the by, I don't see anything wrong with your bard's CON score, you do not get a bonus or penalty between 7-14 range, so 9 CON is as good as 14. This is same for most other scores as well, it only matters when you have a very low (below 7) score or a very high score (above 14) in one ability.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Your party doesn't look very weak, I've seen weaker parties from beginners who tried to make a strong party.
    Your priests will gain access to extremely powerful spells quite early since you are playing a double XP level.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    It's not powergamey and if you've played pnp that looks a lot like the stats you'd get in an old fashionned Advanced D&D game. Good times.
    Any victory will be much more rewarding with a party like this one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.