1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jester's bag does not work

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by johnnybr1, Nov 4, 2006.

1. deepfae Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I just started the game (second time) and arrived in Kuldahar. Where can I find this most-coveted jester's bag?

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

In the Severed Hand. It's left behind by the goblin with dogs IIRC.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Now I understand. I really do not bother to do that much micro-management in my games most of the time. Perhaps I should, from now on. Thanks for sharing your money-making secrets! :)

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Don't overdo it, it can be a serious fun killer.
    Each time my party returned to Kuldahar my thoughts were: Oh no, not again ! :wail:
    Hours of shifting items around, storing and selling followed.
    And the time it took to check which of Orrick's 20 new scrolls my party had to buy for memorization and which of them where already memorized by my casters. :(

5. deepfae Gems: 7/31

I hear you kmonster. I had this problem even worse with IWD2...mainly because I was a miser and horded my arrows/potions/spell scrolls (having a sorcerer and bard as caster's didn't help the scroll acumulation), but also because I would have to sift through my bag(s) of holding and decide hich weapons I wasn't going to use...ahhh!

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

You agree it is a serious fun killer, yet you still overdo it eh? I guess the rewards are well-worth it?

@Deepfae

Get Ease of Use mod if you do not have it already. Infinite stacking component really eases the life of any adventurer! ;)

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I'm just too greedy. :D
    I also hadn't played with AB before, so I didn't know if I needed the money later. But I found items which I could sell for a ridiculous amount of money instead (like the two useless moonblades).

8. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Fun-killer or not, it is mostly depending of the personnality of the player, I shall say ...
    :hmm:
    — For YOU, Silverstar, I should guess that it will be NOT, because you WANT ALL, everywhere.

• A test, now, special for YOU :
    :bigeyes:
    Dear friend, you are at WEST of Kuldahar, near the border, ready to go out :
    ... If I tell you that there is, FOR SURE, a loot of gold forgotten, far of you, on the EAST border of Kuldahar, in the snow of the last little bridge ...

Question :
    Are you immediately TURN BACK, in spite of the fact that your party was on the verge (1 second !) to go out ?

# a) Always ! ! ! even for a possible 1 gold piece ! :yum:
    # b) for 10 gp
    # c) for 20 gp
    # d) for 29 gp
    # e) for 39 gp
    # f ) for 41 gp
    # g) for 51 gp
    # h) for 100 gp
    # i) for 250 gp
    # j) for 500 gp
    # k) for 1000 gp
    # L) for 2900 gp
    # M) for 5000 gp
    # N) for 20 000 gp
    # O) for a cool unknown magic item
    # O) Never ! ! ! Never turn back. You have decided to go over West border NOW, then you go. There is nothing more to say ! :geezer:

9. deepfae Gems: 7/31

I have AB installed, which includes stacking.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Ha, I can turn back for more than 1000 GP, rest assured! :grin:

But come on, I can also use CTRL+J trick to insta-teleport while in Kuldahar. I know it is cheating and evil, but come on, this is Kuldahar, there is no danger here usually. (Well monsters invade Kuldahar in one stage but even they are hardly considered a threat.) CTRL+J makes your life a lot easier, saves you hours which can be spent on actual game play! Don't you use it ever? Or am I the only dirty little cheater around here? :shame:

11. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

I never use it ! :good: I am not a dirty little cheater ! :angel:

:p

... But you have not precisely answered to the test, Silverstar, I am not blind !

— For LESS than 1000 gp, WHITHOUT cheating, are you going to turn back ? For how many gold ?
    Think deeply. It's not so easy. :bigeyes:

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

My answer would be a), even for one single GP.
    I just can't stand leaving something behind unfinished.
    But I'd rather leave items worth 1000 GP behind than doing an extra overland travel to a merchant since I like keeping in-game time low.(although it's useless)

13. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

— Kmonster, my answer would be exactly the same as yours for the first part of your reply.
    • Silverstar shall must go down until 20 GP, at, least, if he want become more rich than now ... :)

— I am not sure to understand the second part of your text, but it is near sure that here, I am the exact opposite of you. I am fond of sleeping many nights "on a line" at the Inn of Evening of Kuldahar.

I dont LOSE time, but I USE it comfortably :

• I range the drawers of 1rst Level (equipement in one, notes and scrolls in an other), take what I need for new stage of adventure and leave the other stuff behind ;
    • I sleep !
    • I confer with my 5 others characters to resume the situation :
    • I memorise my spells, often in several selections one night after the other if first selection is no perfect !
    • I create magical bays each morning ;
    • I USE OUR FAMOUS JESTER'S BAG EACH MORNING also ! :lol:

... In fact, to conclude, I spend often beetween one week to 10 days in Kuldahar. :cool:
    (in general, I hate games where time is a factor).

14. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I don't like games with time limit either.
    I never know if the game is finishable in the remaining game time or if I'd better start again. :confused:

time limit = dead end = unfair game :mad:

It's really good that IWD has no time limit. :thumb:

But I still try to keep the in-game time low.
    In-game time is the probably the only objective method for ranking play-throughs. You can trade time for money, but you can't buy time back.

In my last game (party of 5, AB, insane difficulty) my party was already complaining about being tired when entering the Luremaster main castle. But I wanted them to rest as late as possible.
    So they had to do the castle, the jackal cave, the Luremaster final without rest. Since this worked so well they had also to finish HoW and the IWD end boss still complaining about being tired. About half the slots in their spell books didn't contain any spells since they gained so many levels without resting and memorizing. :D

15. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

:aaa: You have a strange conception of the life, Kmonster (I mean on offence here). :jawdrop:

— I think that in the BG worlds, if you would carry along all your party in a so infernal pace, Jaheira will fastly tell you something as : << — WHEN are we going to stop, he, YOU, nasty big slaves' driver ? ... >> :lol: , and, I am sorry, but she would then tell the truth ...

• The problem is that you only play a GAME, while I am playing CHARACTERS, as REAL persons !!! :cool:
    • What is the better attitude is a nonsense as a question, but I think my way is producing generally more pleasure ... think seriously to that. :)

• By the way, I said you that I shouln't want live in a world where YOU were THE DEMIURGE ! (local God and Intendant and/or Creator). :(
    • Inversely, YOU would be probably at ease in a world where I should be THE DEMIURGE, because my own way of life is "dolce vita", and then my characters are taking advantage of that ... :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

16. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Sitting around for days for days while the world is in danger ? :eek:

I only roleplayed during my first time through the game (once the story is known the adventure feeling is gone), the 3 HoF solos which followed were rather personal challenges.
    In my AB game I wanted to see what the mod adds and insane difficulty changes, and since the game got too easy I increased the difficulty by not resting in order to face at least a (very) little challenge.

17. deepfae Gems: 7/31

I try to strike a balance between resting and not...as in I let my characters rest when they need to (spells gone or nearly gone, everyone's complained of being fatigued), but try to stretch my character's daily dependent abilities (like spells or once per day items) as much as possible).
    Kmonster is right, the world is in danger, so your characters arn't just going to laze around. On the other hand, for a long time they don't know just how much danger (the further along the game the more danger they will realise it is in), so it makes sense that they would be in less of a hurry, at least earlier on.

And the roleplay value being shot after the first time? Nonsense! :lol: There is plenty of roleplay value left. I mean, I for one still enjoy seeing Weenog claim he's going to be a wizard someday (which is even more satisfying if you've played IWD2)...

18. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

— Why ? He become a wizard, or a gobelin witch-doctor, or a shaman ? :bigeyes:
    (I dont own IWD2.)

[ You can speak freely : I dont believe about spoiling effects (on me, at least !) of minor or middle-sized spoilers. Only majors spoilers related to the skeleton-intrigue of a game are unwelcome, for me ]. ;)

19. deepfae Gems: 7/31

IWD2 spoiler below...

He not only became a wizard, but spawned/opened the doors for a slew of goblin/knoll wizards apprenticed to orrick...which is funny considering that one of the options ot respond to him in IWD is to tell him how he'll never be a wizard-and while in 2E (like IWD) this is true, in 3E (like IWD2) goblins can be wizards...

20. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

— I always respect his dreams, and I never tried other paths ! ...

... By the way, I think when a dream is strong enough, the rules of the so-calling "Reality" itself are bended.
    I am a fanatical supporter of AD&D 2nd edition rules, but in a like situation, as Dungeon Master, I would LEAVE Weenog become a Full and Unlimited Wizard, because, for him, it is ALL HIS LIFE ... :cool:

• In games I often explore trees of possibilities, but except when one option hurt deeply my sense of equity or my feelings. Even then, there is yet exceptions, as in BG1, when ...

——— Attention Minor SPOILER about BG1 below ———

... when the un-petrified statue frees the poor young woman named Tamah, in basilisks zone. :)
    There, of strange instinct pushed me to explore all options, EVEN the more evil and malevolent, where the PC insists to have a reward for his "Stone to Flesh" intervention. (At end the poor Tamah was giving her OWN HOUSE to the evil PC, in that option :shame: :almostmad: )

I was asking to myself why that searching for, and suddenly I understood : the house was the fully submerged one, [ in rectangle of landscape just South of Beregost ] ... yes, that one in a pond with only the roof visible, and the song of many frogs around ! :coacoa: ;)

Since, I name that zone "Tamah's Submerged House" in my reconstituted maps, — which I was building at that time : the TRUE REASON of my strange intuition ! ... :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.