1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite multi or dualclass for thieves

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Westhardus, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Westhardus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Currently I am using halfling F/T and he is very good at scouting and backstabing. I would like to try other tactics using multiclassed or dualclassed thieves, maybe some suggestions?

Are there any interesting tactics using C/T?

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can use sanctuary with your cleric and disarm traps or empty chests while enemies cannot attack you. But this can also achieved when your party mage casts improved invisibility on your thief.

If you have HoW and 3E sneak attack enabled your sanctuaried thief can lure your enemies together without getting attacked and evade the fireballs or other area effect spells cast from your mages and there is a level 6 spell who raises elemental resistances by 50 percent if he fails.

Draw upon holy might can increase the strength for backstabbing (use the gauntlets of ogre power) and the thieving skills (only needed when low level).

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Fighter/Thief - Multiclass with short races (to use that helm) is the best. A Human Fighter[13]/Thief[x] with GM in CrossBows, ShortSwords & LongSwords is also pretty good.

Cleric/Thief - kmonster gave a pretty good description of using a C/T. Here too, a short guy who can be endlessly hasted that has the ability to backstab foes and heal friends can be a lot of fun.

Mage/Thief - Never multiclass this combo with a full party. The XP required for Mage levels is so high that you might end up not even being able to cast 9th level spells. Also, unlike with a C/T a Mage has few caster only buffs that enhance thief abilities.
    A Thief[9]/Mage[x] can have over 100% in non-backstabbing skills.

4. Westhardus Gems: 4/31

I think, I will try later party which consists of F/T, C/T, M/T. Wiked sneaky bastards. :mad:

If I not mistaken Cleric/Thief can not backstab, because he/she is not allowed to use daggers, short swords and long swords.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

But a C/T can backstab with a staff! Since thieves can use a staff. Remember, you can backstab with any weapon a pure thief can use. Though if you use a staff it would rather be 'backsmacking'!

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Clubs and Staffs can be used for backstabbing. So C/Ts can backstab, no problems.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I suppose mage/thief is the second most natural thief multiclass after fighter/thief. The classes aren't too far from each other. Cleric/thief is quite exotic and I can't offer you any insight.

8. Westhardus Gems: 4/31

I hoped actually that you will prove me wrong :)

I did not know that clubs and staffs are usable for backstabbing or "backcrushing" :D

Thanks a lot.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Backsmacking[tm] coined by The Magpie.

Depending on what my party set up is, either a halfling F/T (yes, how prejudiced of me ;) ) or a gnome I/T. If I have enough magic power, I take the fighter type. If not, the mage type.

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

F/M/T. Boo & ya. :cool:

11. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    If you aren't opposed to mods, the Icewind dale improvements mod will enable you to make all weapons useable with all classes. Then your cleric/thief can use and backstab with anything.

12. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I agree with Felinoid: F/M/T rocks (as long as you don't want to dual-class). Make him an Elf, use him as an archer for 75% of the game. If you ever need to cast a spell, he backs-up the main Mage (I prefer a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist to be my main Mage). If you need a Thief, and you won't need one often, this one does a great job. The Fighter levels are there because advancing as a Mage faster is useless, as is advancing as a Thief faster. You may as well add some Hit Points and THAC0 along the way, and be able to use longbows.

The best character, IMHO, as a Thief is taking a Human, and dual-classing to Cleric at about level 7 or 8 (after maxing out Traps and Locks skills). After you max these two skills, a thief pretty much just sits there and eats up experience, without really improving (especially the way I play, since I don't like backstabbing -- it exposes an otherwise weak character after only one effective hit). So, instead of being an XP sponge, you may as well add another Cleric to your team. A Thief (7 or 8)/Cleric is an awesome healer, and since Cleric advances only slightly slower than Thief, you get the skills back very quickly. I usually have a F/D, F/C, or C/R multiclass in addition to this character, so I am never short on healing magics. :)

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

FMT. An awesome powerhouse of destruction... eventually. Dualling a thief to a mage is also feasible in this game, provided you have some sort of plan for the traps in the meantime. In IWD, a halfling F/T is an excellent choice, though, as they can use a lot of very handy kit (e.g. Helm of the Trusted Defender), which makes them handy second tanks and backstabbers. I'd also recommend using the Sneak Attack option, if you have it (I have a feeling it was only introduced by HoW, but can't be sure). It's very handy for these types, as it lets the do bonus damage by just attacking a target's rear; there's no need to be hidden. F/Ts can rack up some serous bonus damage (and Crippling Strikes!) by using that trick.

14. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I only recommend using a F/M/T in a 2-person or a solo party. I don't think that they are reedemable enough to make it a big party. Use them in a combo or a solo and they are perfect. They kick ass.

Otherwise Mage/Thief is a great multiclass. But it's never good for a 6-person parties. For 3 or 4 - it's perfect. A great mage with a bow and a couple of more AC is even greater mage indeed.

15. Westhardus Gems: 4/31

@Klorox Sure, backstabing exposes Thief after attack, but he can easy run away, hide in shadows and return for next stab if target is still alive. Killed a lot of priests and shamans that way. Or Thief can guide enemies to ambush, where other party members are waiting, bows and slings ready.
    But sure, there can be plenty of tactics, that the reason, why we play this game.

16. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

The Magpie said:
    True, but a Gnome F/T does the same thing, but with exceptional STR (and "only" an 18 DEX, which really doesn't matter much).

@ Westhardus: I know some people prefer to use their thieves like that. And there's nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't suit my personal style.

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Good point, Klorox. I generally think of gnomes only in terms of Illusionist/Thieves, but they'd probably be optimal F/Ts in this game. After all, you don't need the extra DEX really, and the exceptional strength is more handy for a Backstabber/Sneak Attacker. Lower THAC0 is always welcome.

18. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with a Thief/Wizzy MC combo in a full party. If there's already a pure wizzy in the party, so what if the Th/Wiz doesn't reach the highest levels. he's the secondary mage. he doesn't NEED to be the best. Have him cover the spells that the primary mage doesn't usually memorize. Or have him specialize in certain types of spells, like summoning spells.

Yes, if the only mage you want in your party is your Thief/Mage in a full party, then perhaps you have an issue. But backup mages do not need to be as good as the primary mages. Do people expect bards to be as good a spellcaster as a true wizard? of course not. Why expect anything more from a Th/Wiz?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.