1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IwD done in 58 minutes.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Elvenblade, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Is this true? Or joke? I spent days to finish the game! Am I a bad player? :wail:

Actually, I do not like rushing in my games. I play for fun and excitement, not just for 'finishing' the game. Alas, I play slowly and take pleasure in every moment.

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Segment1 could have been done faster, since it isn't even needed to enter the cave to solve Hrothgar's quest. Clicking on the caravan outside is enough.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This is ridiculous, who would like to play like that? Is there a world record?

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    All this speed gaming thing is just ridiculous, why would somebody ruin a game that way? It isn't even fun damnit. The only way I'm impressed it's how much this guy has time to loose...

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I guess it is just a challenge like going for high scores in other games.
    It doesn't differ much from the cheese (like using 10 project images and summoning 20 devas)many players use for beating some difficulty increasing mods in BG2 and it doesn't take so much time.
    And reading the speedplay descriptions is more amusing for me than reading the beat improved Demogorgon using cheese topics.

After you have beaten IwD once, the roleplay value isn't very high any more, so you can have strategic challenges by using HoF or speedplaying.

In fact you have to use much more strategy to manage a IwD speed play than to play it the ordinary way, some ideas this guy had are astonishing.

In many games you have to abuse gameplay in order to get a high score, like in tetris(gameboy).

He finished BG in 40 minutes and was even able to beat the game without a reload in another run, but IwD took him 58:00 and some reloads.
    What do we learn from this ?

7. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

It's just another way to play the game after you played it 20 times. Besides it's fun to watch.

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I would just like to say that the guy did a great job with the speedrun. It's worth watching.

[edit: Actually, it's worth paying to watch it. I'm gonna send the speeddemos guy some cash.]

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I still find that sort of thing impossible to believe. It takes me months and months to finish any of these games.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The closest I've got to that was finishing Fallout 2 in between 10 and 20 hours when I played it the second time. And I probably finished HoW faster than the official number of hours of gameplay suggested, although I didn't hurry or skip anything. I savour my games and I like to take my time, explore the options, have fun. I actually lack the respawns, certain randomness of life and the trade aspects, arena fighting, contests, harvesting herbs for potions, enchanting items, as well as all the travelling of the Might & Magic series in D&D-based games (which are more like adventures). I do appreciate a sense of continuity and, ideally, I would have a bustling cRPG world living its own life.

11. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I must admit, i would never speedrun a CRPG :toofar: :shame: :nuts:

If you get paid, yes :p

12. Whoa.KinG Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well it takes me 4 days (Awake to sleep) to beat Baldur's Gate 2: SOA and like 2-3 days for Baldur's Gate 1 doing all the side-quest, etc. So that's the fastest for me :) .

13. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

That is amazing.
    I have played BG1 and IWD for like 2 years now and I still havn't beaten either. (I have crazy party ideas and ALWAYS start a new game, i have like 123 some save files for BG alone...)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.