1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

[NO SPOILERS] First time party planning

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Klorox, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Could you guys please use PMs? I'm avoiding most threads in this forum because I've asked for no spoilers. THANK YOU!

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You keep bouncing around the party I had the most fun with:

Paladin
    Bard (half-elf)
    Fighter/Thief (elf)
    Fighter/Cleric (dwarf)
    Fighter/Mage (dual at 9th)
    Fighter/Druid (dual at 7th)

In the early stages of the game you don't need a mage or druid -- just bash everything. The druid has fighting ability back by the time the mage duals.

3. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Right now, I'm playing with a 3-member party. They are:

Dwarf F/C (tank)
    Half-elf F/M/T (archer)
    Human dual F(3)/D (spell support)

It's a lot of fun. My tank is untouchable, my archer is deadly and druid spells are unbelievably awesome. Almost no need for a mage! (I said "almost").

4. Klorox

I know I sound like a broken record here, constantly bumping my own thread and restarting, but here's a party I've been having a lot of fun with:

Paladin -- Awesome tank, great party leader
    Gnome Fighter -- Another great tank, and with *** in Bow he stops a lot of baddies before they even get close
    Dwarf Fighter/Cleric -- based on my favorite P&P character, she's great too!
    Half Elf Fighter/Druid -- I'm just starting to really get into shapeshifting. It's too bad there aren't many good weapons for this one, but the spells are nice!
    Half Elf Bard -- After I hit level 11, this game became a whole lot easier. Good enough spellcasting for me too!
    Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief -- I don't like thieves, but I know I need one. I've tried dual-classing a thief after level 6 or 7, but the time waiting for my abilities to reactivate just isn't fun for me. I have tried multiclassed mages before as well, but even then I had empty slots in my higher level spell slots, and trying out this F/M/T has helped eliminate both problems. He also has ** in Bow, when combined with his racial bonus and 19 DEX makes him a great archer.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Yeah, Paladins rock. And the avenger is NOT the reason for it.

Gnome Fighter! What does he get that a Dwarf can't beat?

And an F/M/T ... That guy will never get enough XP in a full 6 member party.

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

An 18 dexterity? ;)

@Klorox - You aren't the only chronic restarter on these boards! :lol:

7. Klorox

Them Gnomes get a cool helmet too! ;)

How much is "enough XP" for my F/M/T? He seems to be doing fine right now!

8. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The main reason for taking a Mage over a Bard is the ability to cast L8 & L9 spells.

Bard gets to L30 at 4,400,000 XP. At that time, the F/M/T would be 14/14/16 (assuming 1,500,000XP for each class). Typically your charecters would end up with only half that much XP at the end of IWD + HoW. As you can see the mage side has been weakened.

Its not as if your party can't beat the game. But the F/M/T just won't be really useful in a full party. It is best to have triple-classes in parties of 3 or less.

9. Klorox

Well, the only other party I've had a lot of fun with (heck, I think I'm going to just keep both saves and switch back and forth) is one I refer to as "multiclass madness." Since I play the first two chapters on Insane, the advancement isn't too bad.

Paladin
    Fighter/Illusionist
    Fighter/Druid
    Fighter/Cleric
    Fighter/Thief
    Bard

The lack of anybody going over Specialized in any weapon worries me, but in practice hasn't hurt me yet.

10. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I had lots of fun with a "1 of each" party, which consisted of just about 1 of every major class -- all pure classes, no multi-classing. Multi just gets messy and complicated and I felt like it would be fun to keep things simple -- and it was!

Pure cleric dwarf as the tank -- he did what tanks are supposed to do: have really low AC, really good hit points, great saves and resistances. Most fights he'd get through with a loss of about 10 hit points. Almost never needed to heal the guy.

Behind him: pure fighter with 2-handed sword. This guy was the damage dealer.

I also had a bard, conjurer, druid and (yes) a gnome pure thief. Sure multi theives are better and make more sense, but he held his own and was lots of fun to play.

11. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Not a problem, weapons compensate for this mostly.

12. Klorox

Well alrighty then! :)

13. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I like your party a lot though I personally would have gone with a ranger/cleric but you cant do that and use the dwarf and since you want a dwarven fighter/cleric use him. Specialization isnt that big a deal. It is awesome but your party makes that up easily with your access to spells and thief skills with warrior capabilities for all (well except for the bard but his 11th lv song is SO good).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.