1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Orrick the Mage

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Farthy, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Orrick, the mage who sells scrolls in Kuldahar, seems to imply that if you were more powerful he'd sell you better scrolls. He says something along the lines of I can't sell you everything I have for now. Then you say just show me what you have for now. Well, I'm at the end of the game and he still doesn't offer everything he implies.

Is there more to this, or is he just plain lying?

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    No, he's telling the truth.

His inventory that he sells does change over time. You will see that he does sell better stuff at certain points. Those points are changes in chapter. The first time his inventory changes is when you get to Dragon's eye. The next time is when you get to Dorn's deep. The last is when you get to Lower Dorn's Deep.

3. Farthy Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Oh ok, thanks.

4. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I also suspected him of lying the first coupple of times... :p

5. Farthy Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Wait a minute, Lynadin may have a point there...I'm pretty much through with Lower Dorn's Deep. All I need to do that's left is to pick up Lew's Shield. Now, I've just returned to Kuldahar and Orrick is still giving that same speech about how I would hurt myself if he sold too high level spells...What's going on here?

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Oh, that. That is just a standard dialogue script. He always says that right up to the end.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The triggers that cause Orrick to change his stock are chapter-based. I can't quite remember when this occurs, but I think it changes 3 times during the game.

Also note that he doesn't get new stuff added to the old stock - the old stock vanishes completely and is replaced by new items. Sometimes this results in items that you can no longer. For some of the mage scrolls in particular, the ONLY place you can get some is from Orrick. So, if you want something specific from him, be sure to get it before the end of a chapter, in case the next chapter changes the stock and the item vanishes.

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

When you hit chapter 3, his inventory changes. And after you complete the original story, his inventory changes again before you travel to Heart of Winter. I believe his inventory changes one more time after you have been to Lonelywood.

It's best to completely load out on whatever he has at the time, as it's already been mentioned. Especially items; the items will always be completely different.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @ej, How can you visit Kuldahar after completing the original story?

10. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I believe Orricks inventory changes with chapters. First in Chapter 3 and the next times must be in chapter 5 and 6... But this is just my guess :confused:

11. knowledge Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yes, I believe it does. Giving parties chance to upgrade everytime they return to town, though the dialogue stays the same, as he probably has more items, but won't sell them to anyone short of Elminster himself...

12. Shayleigh Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

He does have more items, check out IWD2... ;)

13. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Don't know if anyone else has had this, but I experienced a bug once where I could proceed to the Hand but the game still considered me to be in chapter one. As such, Orrick still had his old stock and my mage had no access to more powerful spells, which was rather annoying. I remedied it by some shifting back and forth between areas, but it can happen. I have both HoW and TotLM installed, by the way.

14. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I have to agree with most of you, Orrick's inventory changes by chapter, even after chapter 1...! But it changes áfter the movie cut scenes that represent the end of a chapter...

For instance: if you did everything you had to do to complete a chapter (also the talking to Arundel etc...) Orrick's inventory stays the same. If you then leave Kuldahar, you get the movie cut scenes and then you can go back to Kuldahar to profit from a new inventory at Orricks'...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.