1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To begin at the beginning?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Sir Feat, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Sir Feat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

G'day all.

I was a little way into IWD2 before I realised it was '2' and that there was a IWD + expansion.

Is it worth playing IWD + HoW first, or are they simpler, 'experimental' games which add nothing to IWD2?

I know this is a large degree subjective, but I'd like to know what people think.

Cheers.

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    They are hardly experimental. They are to IWD2 what BG is to BG2. You can play IWD2 without having played IWD, but it's probably better to play them in order. But it isnt essential to have played them, so it's up to you.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It matters much less though whether or not you play IWD before playing IWD2 than playing BG before BG2; because in IWD2, you are a totally different party of adventurers, whereas in BG2, you're the same character. but as Takara said, its hardly a requirement.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It's not really a requirement, but some NPCs make comebacks in IWD2, and some areas are revisited. It's nice seeing how things have changed during your absence.

Besides, IWD+HOW(+Trials, which is a free add-on) make a good game in its own right (some would argue better than the sequel), so I'd say they're definitely worth playing.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Considering the two games are played under different rule sets, there is hardly any similarity between the two gameplaywise.
    Also unlike the BG, BG II games IWD II is not a sequel to the original game, you start off with a completely new set of charecters.

The only note of interest is how the places and NPCs you saw during the 1st game have aged over these past 30 years.
    However there is not much carried forward from the original story itself.

As such there is no need to play the original IWD +How + TotLM.
    You should play them though if you want to play a game which was had a more compelling and interesting story than the one currently in front of you IMO.

6. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Actually, I think IWD2 is the "simpler, experimental games which add nothing to the serie" here :)

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yep, I agree with Greystar. Icewind Dale 2 sucked.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I disagree that IWD2 sucked. I thought it was cool. But I agree that the link between the two games is less important than in Baldur's Gate (which even there, isn't that important).

9. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I'm actually re-playing IWD 1 for the 5th time, and it's still great fun. The expansions are great! I plan on playing IWD 2 again when I've finished, but I think I'll have to agree with everyone else that the first is better (although I wouldn't say IWD 2 sucked), and the two are quite different games. I was tempted to re-play IWD 2 first, but I couldn't resist the habit of trying to do things in chronological order.

10. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

IWD 1 is the best game.

IWD2 is okay, but IWD1 is far better...

It dosn't matter if you play IWD2 first, IMO...

11. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31

I think that IWD2 is better than the first one, might be because it's been a long time since I've played IWD, but also because I think that the graphics and landscapes, the riddles and schemes you encounter in IWD2 are so much better than in the original IWD.

I think it doesn't matter which game you play first, although I think you could much easier go through IWD if you play it first, rather than playing IWD2 first.

But this is just my 2 cents... :)

EDIT: Typos :D

12. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

IWD II has a great character generation system, which makes you want to try the game with various parties. I think it's a good game, but there are some serious dead spots you have to play through. The character generation system in IWD I is primitive by comparison, but the story line is better thought out and much more compelling.

13. Greystar Gems: 7/31

It's true that the character system in IWD2 rules, but other than that, everything else is inferior to IWD1.

14. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yes, everything else really is inferior in IWD2, I lost track of why I was doing everything and didn't really care to find out. In IWD1, which I just replayed, I was again impressed by all the cool little details and things you can do, and the great combat. IWD2 just doesn't have that, and the cool little details stop once you leave Targos.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.