1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Song of Cheese

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, bards are officially vastly overpowered in IWD. A few days ago, I got my bard to the point where she gained the song, "War Chant of Sith" or something like that. Basically, it gives combat bonuses and regeneration to everyone in the party. Vastly overpowered. My healers are now superfulous. Granted, I needed them both (MC F/C and MC F/D) in order to get to the point, but after any battle, I just have my bard play a tune for a couple of minutes and everyone is fully healed. At this point, I have UN-memorized most of my healing spells and have other stuff in those slots.

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Aaaah, the War Chant of Sith... now you finally know the power of the dark side :tie: :tie: :tie:

All these different songs that you can get with a bard in IWD makes them more interesting and useful characters, specially with all the bard-only items that are around.

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The War Chant is so powerful it's ridiculous how early you get it (level 11 I believe). In fact I really see no point in getting the Bard to a higher level than this. It's unfortunate Bards can't be dual or multi-classed (I know, it would make them even more powerful), because I hate to have a character just stand there and do nothing while the others have become practically invincible because of his song. You could probably do away with resting entirely: your fighters can mop through anything with the bonuses (no need for offensive magic), and healing spells are mostly superfluous because of the regeneration.

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The War Chant of Sith is the only reacon why a Bard manages to worm herself into my 4 member party.
    Turn it on the the game becomes pure hack-n-slash :grin:

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    @Shrikanth
    I thought it already was :grin:

6. Rage Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] This song really is idiotic. What do Sith have with Fearun anyway? It sounds to me like some kind of conspiracy of SW fans. Is there some way to remove this song from the game? :almostmad:

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

That song is indeed neat. I loved it. :thumb: Just sing it while walking to a place, by the time your party reaches the point, all of them will be healed.

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG] I'm not getting HoW because of exactly this kind of BS. And even without those other songs, my bard is still great. :p

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

In IWD2, the war chant of the sith only works when you are in combat so it does not displace healers to the same extent.

10. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The song isn't cheese or BS.
    You could just cast healing spells and walk half an hour back to where you can rest safely instead, it has the same effect.
    Not all IWD players think casting 10 healing spells in a row manually is fun or a core feature of crpgs.

You are not cheating your game easier by using the bardsong instead, you are just saving yourself from repeating a brainless automatism again and again.

11. Felinoid

It is BS. It's not part of the 2e rules by any stretch of the imagination, and does NOT belong in the game.

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

It's not BS. It does belong to the game.
    It helps balancing the classes and allows clerics to try more offensive spells without feeling bad.
    It does increase the fun factor a lot.

IWD is no shrine for outdated ADnD rules, it is a crpg, not a boring worshipping project.
    Did you ever play HoW with a bard using the "war chant of Sith" ?

13. Felinoid

It does not belong in a 2e game (which is what IWD1 was orignially meant to be, like it or not), and the classes were already balanced. The changes that HoW bring unbalance the classes, making a Bard and their songs almost a required part of any party. :rolleyes: And believe me that you do not want to get me started on the other stuff (which would be off-topic anyway).
    Neither one of those sentences makes any sense at all. Well, I suppose the first one makes literal sense, but it has no context to give it the slightest bit of meaning. And I have already said that I will not get HoW, so why would you ask? :rolleyes:

14. uglijimus Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Is there a website that hosts the songs of the bards? I love to hear them because I'll probably never get the chance to play one...

15. Berksmasher Gems: 2/31

I agree that the songs that come with HoW make a bard overpowered to the extent that they are almost an essential in any party in which the player is looking to optimize a game-long strategy. Interestingly though, I've found that when my other characters reach the higher levels that they are so powerful and have such good equipment that in fact the bard songs come into play mostly for non-combat healing and a few specific enemies (for which the non-Sith songs come into play), but otherwise a bard is far more useful as an extra spell caster in a high-level party.

Question: If you have two or more bards playing "War Chant of (the) Sith" do they stack? That would be beyond ridiculous.

16. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I don't know if they stack, but you'd be handicapping your party more than helping it with any more than one Bard.

They're a support character, that's all.

17. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    After countless hours of study, patience, and perseverance, I've developed an iron-clad, fool-proof solution to the horrible, gawd-awful, game-ruining audacity that is 'War Chant of the Sith.'

Are you all sitting down? Prepare your panties for unbunching, War Chant-haters, for here it is...

Don't use 'War Chant of the Sith.'

Behold. No no, please - don't shower me with praise, I'm just a mortal. ;)

Some of you need to get a grip - it's an optional ability in a friggin' game, jesus. Don't like it, don't use it. It's precisely that simple. :rolleyes:

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  18. Felinoid

Hehe, I was wondering who would finally bring that up. But really, I'm sure most of the people complaining about it already don't use it. Does that give us any less right to gripe about its existance and its rediculousness? No.

And for the record, WCotS is just the tip of the iceberg of reasons I won't get HoW. ;)

19. Rage Gems: 2/31

You are forgetting that drak side is too strong to resist, we need a true Jedi to find a way of removing it from the game.

20. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I am a true fan of 2e though I feel no guilt using the WCoS. I think it is a nice enough little bonus, any DM can implement such things in his/her game while still being loyal to 2nd edition AD&D. Think about HLAs of BG2, they are not really pure 2e though they are big fun!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.