1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I keep getting an error...help?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Scalefang, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Scalefang Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi,

Just got the original Icewind Dale and was up till Dragon's Eye having alot of fun.

You see, when I went to use a flaming oil on a troll, my game froze three times. The fourth time I decided to use one of them in a different spot and the game crashed to the desktop with an error:

An Assertion failed in CGameEffect.cpp at line number 18892.

Is there any way to fix this short of reinstalling?

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    First thing, do you have the latest patch installed. Second thing, do you have any mods installed. These are two areas that are often the root of many problems.
    Re-installing would be a pain, but you would be able to use your savedgames, though its unlikely a bad install thats the prob.

3. Scalefang Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Current IWD patch: Yes
    Mod's Installed: Tioma's Ease-of-Use with

1)Bottomless Potion, Scroll and Gem bags
    2)Higher stacks (500) for arrows, bolts, etc.
    3)Happy Duel-Clasisng
    4)Improved Spell learning for mages and bards

I also used DaleKeeper to give my Fighter/Thief a Thief model and my Fighter/Mage a Mage model.

4. Takara

Media:
    Hmm... It is most likely a mod conflict, though I'm not a huge authority on that. Have you tried using something other than oil, like flame arrows, or a two handed axe with fire damage, or spells. If the problem is just with the flaming oil, then it's a missable problem. But if it's with the animation of the troll's death, then the problems bigger. In that case, I'd recomend re-installing without mods and trying it. If it works add mods until the problem recurrs, then your only real choice is to ditch that mod.

5. Scalefang Gems: 1/31

The problem was just with the flaming oil...and it was Tioma's mod...specifically the 500 stackable part...I have no idea why though.

Now I'm back to "Fill-my-bullet/arrow-using char's-inventory-up-with-bullets/arrows" way of doing things...gosh I hate that...

6. Takara

Media:
    If you think that's annoying now? wait till further in the game, when replacing them gets a wee bit harder. Anyway if it was just with the oil, couldn't you still use the mod, and find a different way of killing the trolls?

7. Scalefang Gems: 1/31

Aye, but for simplicity's sake I removed the patch for the oil throwing part...and as long as there aren't any more trolls...I am going to reinstall that part. To be honest that alone is a huge help.

8. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Do you have the expansion installed? IIRC the ease-of-use mod screws up the game if you don't have the expansion installed.

9. Takara

Media:
    I'm afraid you haven't seen the last of trolls yet. There is another section which has a bunch of the buggers. Sorry.

10. Scalefang Gems: 1/31

To Elvenblade: No expansion....which would be the reason if it is expansion only.

To Takara: More trolls?!?!!??! Crap....I HATE trolls...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.