1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Graphics are Great!!!!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Avooch Dar, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Avooch Dar Guest

Almost a year ago now i went down to my local newsagents to pick up a copy of the latest PC Gamer.
    I excitedly flicked through the pages like a mad man to find the only review that i wanted to read.
    There it was lying in front of me. The latest BG clone (not in a negative way). Icewind Dale. I sighed in satisfaction as i let my eyes lazily drift over the beutifully lamenated pages.
    Yet as i read through the article i got the overwelming sense of a rather pesimistic attitude to the game. And low and behold to my surprise the game was only given 75%!!!
    Yet even more to my atonishment was the caption that said: Good game....Bad Graphics.
    I quickly read through the remaining sentences and n my disgust put the magazine on the shelf where it has not been touched since.
    Trusting the magazine with my life i did not buy Icewind Dale and instead gave in to the subconcious calls of BG,SOW. Note; In the review of BG2 in PC Gamer it said with confidence that the graphics were better and gave it a very high rating.
    So off i trundled on sunday to my local computer store to get a copy of TOB. Yet to my dismay i was to find out (with a great deal of embarresment) that it was not released yet!
    However all was not lost as i promptly picked up a copy of what i considered at the time to be a cheap substitute. Icewind Dale.
    I have played for one day. Yet now i have already uninstalled BG2 in my dissaprovevel of it.
    In my humble opinion IWD has much richer and more beutiful graphics and gameplay than BG2.
    The fac that you are no one special in the story is great! Very refreshing!
    And so to the question: What does everyone think of IWD compared to BG2?
    Personally i don't think i will bother getting TOB after playing IWD.

PS(Please Extremist no swear words regarding BG :D :D :D)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hah. You haven't seen anything yet. Go pick up Heart of Winter which allows your IWD game to run at 800x600. Beeutiful!

Check my HoW review at http://www.sorcerers.net/Articles

3. Havok Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Finally, another once lost soul finds his solace in the Dale.

Welcome to the Clan, Avooch Dar. There aren't many of us here right now, but those other snobs will eventually come around.

I bought both IWD and BG2 at the same time. I have them both installed at present. I play them both, but I've gravitated almost totally to IWD. I enjoy it much more. I've also added HoW and it's made it even better I think.

I never listen to what critics have to say about a game, movie, book, etc. You run the risk of missing out on alot of good entertainment.

4. Avooch Dar Guest

Ahhhhh the book!
    I saw this in my local book store. The whole trilogy in hard back form for only £15.99!
    But on a serious note. How much is the book like the game and if it is a trilogy does this mean a third game is due????
    God i hope so! :D :D :D

5. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

As noted in other threads here, the game only uses the same locations as the books. The game actually takes place before the events in the books do.

Having said that, I'd agree that a sequel is in order (even if the game has nothing to do with the IWD trilogy). I'm hoping for something that uses the IWD method of rolling your whole party from the start, and uses the kits/classes from BG2. Think of the parties you could make- monk, kensi-mage, swashbuckler, priest of (choose your god), undead hunter, etc. all working together in one party...

Of course it looks like the Infinity engine is dead, so we could be waiting a long time for that game. :(

[This message has been edited by Bowie (edited June 19, 2001).]

6. Wizard advocate Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I certainly agree! Icewind Dale graphics are much nicer. Not forgetting the spell casting glows are more creative than the circles of Bg2. Also the spell effects are better too.

7. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I really get the feeling of being in a huge cold dark dungeon when I'm playing IWD. The awesome music and graphics submerse me in the Dale. There was only one time in BG2 I felt submersed...that was in Hell. IWDHOW will be my favorite game until maybe POR finally comes out.

8. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] IWD rocks, its totally better than the others. I just uninstalled BG2 to play PS:T and I think IWD is going on again, I miss it!

9. Lord Sparhawk Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

IWD kicks ass something chronic! The music, the graphics (most noticeably the spells), the ability to make your own character!! Its' great. I reckon BG2 is a real dissapointment. After buying IWD, I heard BG2 came out. I though if there was ony improvements on top of IWD, BG2 would be sweet. After playing for 2 hours, I uninstalled it.I haven't got HOW yet, and I wanna know if it's any better?

10. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, I love IWD, but I just finished BG2, and when its all said and done, it rocks too. BUT, IWD does rock, and its still my favorite. Now that the DL dungeon is out we'll see what's up. The graphics and voice rock, totally.

11. Lord Sparhawk Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

They certainly do!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.