1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

still needing help running IWD!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by sturm brightblade, Mar 7, 2001.

1. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

hey talantuin!!!
    i think i give you a wrong info on my system here is it:

game title: Icewind Dale
    OS name: microsoft windows
    version: 4.90.3000 build 3000
    system manufacturer: microsoft corporation
    system type: x86-based pc
    processor: pentium III processor genuineintel~736mhz
    bios version: award medallion BIOS v6.0
    128 ram
    creative sb live! value sound card IRQ channel: IRQ12
    asus agp-v3800magic series video card
    asus dvd-rom E608
    asus p3v4x agp/4x motherboard

what i have done so far but wasn't able to solve my mentioned problems:
    1. i tried defragmenting and then reinstalling the game.
    2. tried unchecking the DMA option in the cd-rom setting.
    3. tried using pathces.
    4. tried installing in minimum, recommended, and full.
    5. updated sound card and video drivers.
    6. flashed and updated BIOS and motherboard.
    7. tried deleting folder content of folders cache and temp in the game's directory.
    8. tried setting desktop color depth to 16 bits and resolution to 640x480.
    9. tried closing all programs except explorer and systray when playing the game.
    10. tried updating mothreboard and flashing BIOS.

my problem is:
    icewind dale keeps returning to my desktop. this problem occurs when i'm entering or exiting a building and when i try to travel from one place to another( the red bar goes about half the loading status bar then, wham i'm back to my desktop).

another problem:
    this is quite similar to the one mentioned above, only sometimes when i'm exploring an area or level, IWD just simply returns to my desktop, no error message, IWD simply returns to my desktop. what gives???

is there anything else you could think of to solve my problem???? i mean aside from that posted in this message board or those posted in IWD message board or those posted in the customer support page of interplay.

thanks again

sturm

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I honestly can't think of anything else. Just one thing... Is your game a store bought item, or copied from a friend or something like that?
    No sense in lying here, just tell it as it is. Because if you did copy it from someone, that could be the reason it's not working right.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited March 07, 2001).]

3. Wingfoot Guest

just exchange that copy for a new one, or buy another copy. simple as that. if you would have done that right off the bat then you would be playing IWD right now, instead of going through all this.

[This message has been edited by Wingfoot (edited March 07, 2001).]

4. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31

no its store bought.

what's wrong if someone just copied IWD??? my cousin copied his IWD from someone, don't know exactly who, but he is playing IWD with no problems at all.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] What's wrong? You mean, aside from any moral issues which your cousin obviously doesn't have with it?

I've experienced over 50 e-mails similar to yours during the years I've been running Sorcerer's Place and in 90% of cases it turned out they were playing a warez copy or copied it from God knows who.
    And if it's one thing I hate then that is wasting my time on idiots who can't even show enough respect to buy the games I am working so hard on to support. (Among other things).
    Since the majority of Infinity Engine games have copy protection on them, a lot of Sunday burners can't copy them right. I've seen copies the went through the whole burning process without any problem, but were crashing on the same computer like crazy while the original was working fine.

Just FYI.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited March 08, 2001).]

6. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31

hey dude cool down

well what can i say, i mean my cousin has the hardware to copy cds(cd writer???) and at that time he was i think down on budget and just wanted to play IWD. however, whatever my cousin did doesn't solve my existing problem. i had thought of borrowing his own cd of IWD but he had erased it already and replaced with mp3s( he is a music bum now).

pls help me, i can returned my IWD cd or even exchange it, God knows i tried. but the store where i bought my IWD doesn't honor returns or exchanges of cd bought from them. and the fact that i live half way across the world from america makes it quite impossible for me exchange my IWD cd directly to interplay company.

c'mon dude i know you can help me out, please!!!

7. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sturm,

Where are you based?

Most European countries you'll find that they HAVE to exchange, refund or otherwise fix you up under a Sale of Goods Act or something similar.

Statutory rights overrule any stupid rules they try on in shops.

Can't sell something that has never worked, and not warrant it at all.

Imagine buying a telly from Dixons, taking it home, it don't work and you can't take it back to the shop, you have to send it to Japan or Korea where it was manufactured... I think not!

If you'r UK I might be able to help you out.

8. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Whoa Sturm - alot of info rattling around here. I noticed that you are running a tnt2-m64 graphics card, hmmm these can be a bit flaky.
    Your mobo looks as though it's new enough to supply sufficient AGP power, but you might want to try reducing your AGP aperature size in your bios. I think it defaults to 64 MB, you might want to try 32 or even 16.
    One other thing - do you have anything overclocked? Processor, Video-Card? You might want to examine these issues.
    One final silly suggestion, I don't own IWD, but does it have an option for playing in 'Window' mode? Might want to try deselecting this option.

One afterthought - you mentioned that you had updated your drivers, as far as video drivers are concerned Detonator-3 drivers from nvidia are optimized for the GForce line up and may cause reduced or erratic perfomance in your older tnt2 card. Might want to think about finding an older driver set.

I own one of those bad boy m64's :rolleyes: and I had lock-up problems with BG2. Went with older drivers and changed AGP Aperature and voila.

Just some thoughts.

[This message has been edited by Lord Moeken (edited March 08, 2001).]

9. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31

thanks for the input guys

as for viking's question. no i'm not based in europe, though i wish i was. i'm actually based in the phillipines, the country just below taiwan(for further geographical location)

as for lord moeken, i don't think i have overcloked anything. but will try your suggestion on reducing apperture size. i'm not really a pc guy and would like a more specific input on this stuff. like what will do and about overclocking, what are the disadvantages of overclocking.

10. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well Sturm, if you don't think you have anything overclocked then you probably don't. Overclocking can give you some small speed gains from your processor (both main and video) at the expense of possible instability and excess heat generation.

I guess I'm not really a 'PC guy' either but I know what worked for me. As for changing your AGP aperture size, you just have to enter your BIOS setup utility (I think you hit the delete key when you first boot up) There should be a variety of menus and settings available, look for the AGP aperature size and change as required. I believe the AGP aperature size tells the computer how much system RAM to reserve for video textures in the event the video memory can't handle it. Maybe someone here can give a proper explanation in the event that I am wrong on this.

One word of caution - write down any settings you change so that you can change them back if you have to. I'm sure you already know that an improper BIOS setting could render your computer inoperable.

[This message has been edited by Lord Moeken (edited March 09, 2001).]

11. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31

did as you've suggested, changing agp aperture size, and checked it with my cousin here if i'm overclocking anything and he said nothing is overclocked.

anyway, i think i just had it with this problem, even guys at IWD message board are not answering my post. i'll just play IWD as it is and keep on saving and loading saved games.

however, i have just one favor to ask. do you know how to disable the movies??? i mean the black isle movie, tsr logo movie and the IWD intro movie??? it takes me about 2 mins to load a saved game starting from my desktop. i just want those three movies out so whenever i encouter my problem i'll need not bother pressing esc key or right mouse button key just to bypass those movies.

and yeah just one other thing concerning the quest in kuldahar, where can i find the elven ruins that orrick the magician is looking for???

thank for the input anyway

12. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The Elven Ruins "The Severed Hand" are in Chapter 3.

You find a librarian towards the top of one of the towers who has about 15 books on offer. Make sure you have some idea what you're after, coz I know I sure as hell didn't have 15 slots available at that point!

Sorry to hear you can't find a solution to your problem running the game tho'!

13. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31

well yeah i guess its true, you know we don't get to smile and relax everyday.

thank for the input anyway

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.