1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

need help running IWD

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by sturm brightblade, Feb 26, 2001.

1. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] hello there!!!!

IWD has been with me for like 6 days now. and all that i have ever done was to defragment my hd, reinstall IWD again and again, go the IWD message board for help, and update drivers and BIOS setup. actually, i play a decent game, that is to say continuous game, with IWD yet. because of the problems i'm encountering when starting to play a game. so i thougth you guys might have some suggestions that i haven't tried yet.

well, my problems with IWD is that IWD keeps returning to my desktop and worse when i try playing IWD again, IWD crashes. sometimes i get lucky and be able to see the insides of the tavern and got to meet horthgar that's why i try to save as many times as possible and as soon as possible. my problems with IWD returning to desktop usually occurs when my characters are entering or exiting a room or a building; and when IWD is loading.

i hope someone here can help me cuz i think i've exhausted the techs at IWD message board

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well for starters, turn off any and all advanced options and go from there.
    Turn off 3d acceleration, enviromental audio, any fancy graphic effects, etc.
    Once you're down to bare bones, you can start adding more options one by one. That way you'll be able to see which of them is causing your game to crash.
    Also, did you install the official patches for the game?

3. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31

thanks taluntain

but i've already done that, i'm running IWD bare and naked. anyway, i think i've already solved the problem on IWD crashing.

however, i am still experiencing one problem: IWD returning to desktop. yes, i've used the patches, even tried using the uk patch but it didn't help. so what's wrong??? i mean what's causing IWD to return to desktop? i've already updated everything, sound, video, motherboard and even BIOS. this problem (IWD returning to desktop) occrus when the game is loading; either loading a saved game, or when entering or exiting a room or building or going to the next area ( the red bar which indicates load process goes about 1/2 the way and suddenly IWD returns to my desktop. what could be causing this???

well if you know anything, mind telling me. i've been racking my pc for almost 7 days now trying to make IWD run properly, i even almost destroyed the whole windowsME prog.

thanks again

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What kind of system do you have? List the specs...
    How about your CD-ROM? Fast enough?
    Did you try doing a full install? (Or do you already have the full thing installed)?

5. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31

hello!!!!!

thanks for taking note of me. so here is my sytems specs:

1. OS is windows ME, pentium 3 running at 733 mhz.
    2. Asus DVD-ROM E608
    3. Asus AGP-V3800 Magic series video card with Asus AGP-V3800 v. 5.33a video driver.
    4. Creative Sb Live! Value sound card with Creative Bs Live! Ware v. 3.0 sound driver.
    5. Asus P3V4X AGP/4X motherboard
    6. Directx v. 8.0a
    7. VGA chipset: RIVA TNT2 M64
    8. Video RAM size: 32mb
    9. Videio RAM type: SDRAM
    10. VESA VBE v.: 3.00
    11. VGA BIOS v.: 2.05.13
    12. 17" leoptics monitor refresh rate 85

what i've done so far to correct such problem stated before are:
    1. Update drivers.
    2. Flashed BIOS
    3. Used patches
    4. Set cd-rom to no-read head and supplemental cache to none or minimum.
    5. Tried installing full, minimum, and recommended installation. running the game now with recommended instatllation.
    6. Set the system's virtual memory to about 1gb.
    7. Tried interchanging game options in the game's config. running the game now bare and naked.
    8. Tried setting screen resolution to 640x480 at 16 color depth.
    9. Tried deleting cache, temp, tempsave folders or folders content.
    10. Tried cleaning override folder content.
    11. Tried setting sound and graphic accelaration to either minimum or none.

i think those are what i've done so far, can't remember the rest. however, after doing as mentioned above i still experience icewind dale returning to desktop. this problem occurs when the game is loading either for a saved game or for a new area. likewise this problem sometimes occurs when i'm saving a game.

is there any possibility yet that my problem be solved??? i'll waiting for your help. i've consulted my problem at IWD message board and through interplay customer support but so far i've already done with their suggestion.

6. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Yeeesh, Windows ME... alright I won't hammer that.

However you may wish to disable any 'active' tasks -you know the gazillion little icons in the tray next to the clock on your taskbar.

Win ME has numerous 'memory resident' processes so be sure to disable what you can. Ctrl+Alt+Del to see some of the list if you can surmise what process is related to which program.

Additionally you may wish to disable ANY screensaver/web based active desktop and the like.

I haven't heard anything about the ASUS AGP card that is negative, or your motherboard. It's probably some application related or OS configuration compatability issue. I'd focus on these instead of your hardware. You would probably notice other application/programs/games having problems if it was hardware related.

7. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31

draco what do you mean by OS configuration compatibility? cuz so far, i think i've already done all if not most of that i know and those given to me to solved my problem. anyway, do you know of where i can find a cracked patch for IWD, not the no-cd crack, but crack for IDMain.exe.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Try this:

Q: The game is crashing when I attempt to run it.

A: This could actually be caused by a few different reasons. You will want to check the following (in the order listed):

The game requires that you have the current version of DirectX installed and that your drivers are showing as "certified". You will want to reference our DirectX troubleshooting guide ( http://www.interplay.com/support/directx/index.html )to check DirectX for proper installation.

Often drivers that show as certified are still incompatible with the newer version of DirectX. You will want to check your manufacturers drivers page to make sure that you are running the most current driver available for you sound card and video card.

Another program runnning in the background can cause a crash. You will want to do the following:
    Press CTRL+ALT+DEL. This will bring up a "Close Program" box.
    The only items listed should be Explorer and Systray
    Highlight any other item listed
    Click on End Task
    Continue back with step 1 until Explorer and Systray are the only items listed.

9. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] hello!!!

thanks to all. though i haven't got around my problem, i'm still trying and playing. load and reload saved games is all i can do for now though load and reload has got as far as the vale of shadows.

thanks again.

10. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31

hey talantuin!!!

i think i give you a wrong info on my system here is it:

game title: Icewind Dale
    OS name: microsoft windows
    version: 4.90.3000 build 3000
    system manufacturer: microsoft corporation
    system type: x86-based pc
    processor: pentium III processor genuineintel~736mhz
    bios version: award medallion BIOS v6.0
    128 ram
    creative sb live! value sound card IRQ channel: IRQ12
    asus agp-v3800magic series video card
    asus dvd-rom E608
    asus p3v4x agp/4x motherboard

what i have done so far but wasn't able to solve my mentioned problems:
    1. i tried defragmenting and then reinstalling the game.
    2. tried unchecking the DMA option in the cd-rom setting.
    3. tried using pathces.
    4. tried installing in minimum, recommended, and full.
    5. updated sound card and video drivers.
    6. flashed and updated BIOS and motherboard.
    7. tried deleting folder content of folders cache and temp in the game's directory.
    8. tried setting desktop color depth to 16 bits and resolution to 640x480.
    9. tried closing all programs except explorer and systray when playing the game.
    10. tried updating mothreboard and flashing BIOS.

my problem is:
    icewind dale keeps returning to my desktop. this problem occurs when i'm entering or exiting a building and when i try to travel from one place to another( the red bar goes about half the loading status bar then, wham i'm back to my desktop).

is there anything else you could think of to solve my problem???? i mean aside from that posted in this message board or those posted in IWD message board or those posted in the customer support page of interplay.

thanks again

sturm

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.