1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Heart O' Winter....

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Sir Belisarius, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Now that I've been playing BG2...I've been wondering about the IWD expansion. Does anyone know if the kits and changes from BG2 will be included in HoW?

I haven't gone to the Bioware site, so I haven't heard anything. Any news anyone?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  3. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Thanks! I get so caught up with the boards...I foregt to "look around" the site. By the way, I know you hear it all the time...But this really is a cool site, with a good community of people!

I'm to the point where I check in every day! Your work keeping up the site is greatly appreciated!

~Bel

4. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Oh boy am I looking forward to this.

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Are the suggestions listed at the end of the HoW features page (see link above) idea from people on this site or idea Black Isle is really looking at? Some look real cool and would make the pack worth buying.

6. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

They are official.

Syl...

7. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The Ranger extra hated enemies are out, according to developer JESawyer himself. Makes me wonder what other ideas didn't make it. Still, I'll buy it. Maybe I'll get to finish it as well (damn crashes)...

8. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] :D Bump! :D

I got it today...Now I have two games I'll neverhave time to play! Finishing BG2 and Heart o' Winter! WhooHoo! :D

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Heh... I bought it last Friday, and haven't had the time to do anything with it but install it :(

10. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Bought it!!
    Sweet!

11. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Sweet and Sour, delicious like a Chinese meal but over much too soon and now I'm hungry for more. Bring on Throne of Bhaal!

12. Anra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Bought the game on Friday, played it Fri Sat and Sun and have finished the expansion on Heart of Fury setting. It was fun. It was hard. It was over far too fast. All I have left is the final showdown in Easthaven and on Heart of Fury Mode, I imagine it will be...glorious! You gain levels with amazing speed. Finish a quest, gain a level. Kill a few wailing virgins, gain a level. Level thirty rules will be reached with amazing speed. You will also die an amazing number of times. Can't wait for Throne of Bhaal!

13. alexei Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] About HOW - ive just started IWD and am in the dragons eye (about to start level 3) if i install HOW now do i get to use all the new kits/spells/items now or do i have to restart to take advantage?

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You will not have to restart to take advantage of any new stuff, but the merchants in Kuldahar will not have any updated equipment if you've been to them already (which I'm sure you have).

15. alexei Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Dear Blackthorne

thanks for the response - I have 3 further questions if you have a minute

do i have to reintsall icewind and then install heart of winter to take advantage of Kuldahar goodies or can i just start a new game?

secondly priest spells are learnt automaticaly - right? are you given more as you go up levels ( ie the more slots you get the more spell possibilities you
    get for that level) or every time you level up to a new spell level what you see the first time is what you get? and in which case is the choice randomly generated? ( the thing is i want static charge for my cleric but his god has seen fit not to give it to
    him!!)

thirdly where can i buy some magical arrows
    (particularly acid/fire) to deal with pesky trolls as as far as i can tell Kuldahar is not great on this front (or does this improve with level - Corin(the mage) seemed to have better spells for sale the second
    time i went to see him!!)

anyway any help would be appreciated

thanks

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    1) Either start a new game, or restore to a point before you first visited the shops should do the trick.

2) I'm not sure; I never paid that close attention.

3) Hmmm... IIRC you'll have to make do with what you can find until you reach the top of the Hand of the Seldarine. I remember having to ration my fire/acid arrows while going through Dragon's Eye. Your best bet is to have your mages memorize fire spells (Burning Hands is great for a pile of trolls).

17. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

As far as I know, the save games contain the store inventories, so even if you reinstall, once you load your save game you get the same stuff. It sucks, I know. If you start a new game though you'll get the new stuff. Either way, I don't think they have fire arrows, though.

For the trolls, if you have some fire arrows, save them until the troll is on the ground. Then shoot him with them. You'll waste too many if you try to take him out with only fire arrows. Still I don't think you have enough arrows at this point to get rid of them all. Use the flaming oils. At this point I had also found a small sword that had a small 5 or 10% chance to cause flame damage. When I had a troll alone, I'd knock it down with my best weapons, switch to the sword and hack away until the fire damage kicked in. Sometimes they'd get back up and attack again before I killed it, but this method saved the ammo for when I really needed it. Of course, if you have a mage with any fire spells you can use those too.

For the priest spells, HOW added some restrictions on alignment, some spells can't be cast by good characters, some only by good, etc. Also, while they list all priest spells together in the documentation, druids and clerics get different sets of them. In general, I think, druids get more offensive spells, and clerics get more heal/bless type spells. I don't know for sure, but my guess is static charge is a druid spell, not cleric. If not, then the alignment for your character must exclude it.

18. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Tal,

I went over to re-read your HoW report. I didn't buy HoW yet and thought I'd read up on the details concerning class abilities. I see that the section is all written in "might" and "could" terms. I know all about the new areas, items, XP cap, and tech updates but not alot about character skills. If you have a chance could you let me know which new spells/abilities are really in HoW. I know it's a bit of work to update the section but a quick answer would be great. Thanks.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ah, yes, I suppose I'll have to go over it and turn all mights and coulds into wills and dos...
    But the stuff that is written there is (to my knowledge) all included in the game. I've been throwing out stuff that wasn't going to be implemented regularly until what is now there was left. It was also regularly updated with new info if any was posted.

But if anyone spots something they know isn't included in the game, let me know and I'll fix it.

20. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Thanks Tal. I wasn't sure if it had been updated since HoW came out. I know they were planning some of that stuff but you know how things change at the last minute. I'll read it again and assune it's all in HoW. Thanks for the correction.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.