1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A few questions

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by GronkNuts, Sep 7, 2000.

1. GronkNuts Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I heard that Icewind dale can be run 800x600.
    Is this true? If so, how? I didnt notice an option under the graphics menu.

What is the max experience per char?
    Is the cap per party member or for the entire party?

I saw a utility on this board I believe.
    It said it allowed you to write 8th and 9th
    level spells to your spell book. I thought the game allowed this anyway.
    A little confused here.

-thanks for any help

[This message has been edited by GronkNuts (edited September 07, 2000).]

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] The XP cap for IWD is 1.8 million. It's per PC. So if you multi-class XP for both classes added together can't be above 1.8m. You can write 8th and 9th level spells but you can't memorize them so DON'T. You can cast of the scrolls so don't waste them. As far was 800x600 goes the game does not support it. There maybe a hack to do it but it's not in the game itself. You may be thinking of BG2 which will support both 640x480 and 800x600. I hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited September 07, 2000).]

3. GronkNuts Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Indeed.
    Thats clears up everthing for me.
    Thanks alot.

4. sibley Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

BTW, although the cap is 1.8 million, a party of six typically gets only about 1 million exp per character. I usually finish at about 1.2 million, and I think that's pretty common.

5. Two things I remember reading on a developers board:
    They expect people to hit around 1 million xp or so (for a typical party of 6). So if you want to max your characters you will have to play through with them twice, or limit your party to 3-4 people.

The other thing is about the higher resolution. They were experimenting with it, but they would have had to have 2 interfaces, on for the higher res, one for the lower, and it was dropped due to time constraints. I think IWD looks pretty good nonetheless...

6. sibley Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yes, I played my first party through twice. I hit the exp cap well before the end of the game -- upper Dorn's or maybe Wyrm's Tooth.

Of course, the beginning of the game was very easy the second time through. But it got harder again towards the end. The extra level or two really doesn't help much in the last couple chapters because you're beyond the point where character development slows down dramatically (level 9 or so). After that your increased abilities come mostly from better gear. And I had plenty of gear the first time through.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.