1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bow or crossbow?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Mollusken, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I have encoutered a problem. I've found a bow +2 and +3 thac0, which deals 3 attacks pr. round. And I also have a crossbow +2, which gives a thac0 bonus of 7. But the crossbow only deals 1 attack pr. round.

Only my ranger has the ability to use these weapons (and my fighter, but she's out of the question). Which weapon should I use?

2. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Bows wise, I was able to find a +3 dam,+3 thaco Kaylessa's bow that has 3 att per round and gives +1 DEX. Somewhere in the game there is a bow of Hammering +4 which has 4 attacks per round.

Crossbows wise, I had a Repeating Light Crossbow which had 3 attacks per round, and if you look at the item list you have crossbows of 4 attacks.

My preference would be to give a Repeating Crossbow to the Fighter (has needs only one proficiency point to get 3 attacks) and the Ranger to equip with the bow.

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I would like to have my fighter in close combat. I only have 1 other character to do that with. :(

4. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Spelldiving is one thing you want to use ranged weapons for.

Another thing - in the battle that is one before last you fight False Pomab.

*SPOILER*
    If you want to bring his mirror images down fast, ranged weapons for the whole party work great.

Sometimes using the ranged weapon saves time and effort.

5. sibley Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, my experience in a somewhat different situation (two different crossbows) is that the weapon with more attacks is better. I think this is because my THAC0 with either weapon is adequate, so a few more misses using a weapon with a lot more attacks is the way to go. In the long run I get a lot more hits. However, it really does depend on what your THAC0 is with the two weapons, or more exactly, how often either weapon hits your foes.

For instance, if your THAC0 with the higher rate weapon is so bad that you rarely hit, it's useless. Lots of shots that mostly miss doesn't help.

6. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I have a strong commitment to BOWS. BOWS are the way to go over CrossBows. If you develop your character correctly & find the right BOWS your character can end up shooting with 5 attacks and using +6 arrows of piercing. I usually getting nearly EVERY arrow from the 'watchtower' found in DORN'S DEEP -they are all +6 Piercing arrows.

Also BOWS generally fire with a faster Speed Factor. First to hit means a lot in any fight. I think we all may have learned that once or twice along the way in life... First to hit in IWD (or BG) when dealing with spellcasters or monsters 'sprinting' to your party disrupts their attack. Which of course benefits your party always. Try a go round in IWD concentrating on bows for a character and see how you fare at the end. You may be pleasantly surprised!

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited August 31, 2000).]

7. sibley Gems: 2/31

Yes, bows are certainly better than crossbows. But for me there aren't really enough magic arrows in the game for more than two bow users. After two bow users I make crossbow users.

There's also a possibility of not finding enough good bows. In this game I've only found two good bows (plus the Messenger of Sseth, which I don't use regularly) as of the beginning of Lower Dorn's Deep. In other games I've found one or two more. OTOH, there are three good crossbows I always find, and already have in this game.

8. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Yes the IWD layout does not include in any way the quantity or quality of WEAPON & MAGIC shops found in BG. Then again folks, BG was 5 CD's... 6 counting the TOSC expansion pack. So a MAJOR diff when it comes to magic arrows, bolts, bullets, crossbows, bows and everything else. No comparison whatsoever to IWD's 'variety' or lack of.

The Bows in IWD are few, but a few are indeed awesome, The Messenger of Seth, The 'Hammer' Bow, The of 'Action' Bow, The of 'Quickness' -which gives an extra attack as well. I have come across one or two others that I cant recall, but I may dig up and reload an old game because I know there are other awesome bows to be found in the game.

9. sibley Gems: 2/31

The number of CDs has nothing at all to do with the supply of magic arrows. After all, there are plenty of plain arrows for sale. One could certainly do the same thing with magic arrows. For instance, the shop in Severed Hand could easily be designed to have an infinite supply of arrows +1, which is certainly reasonable at that point in the game. If you don't like the idea of an infinite supply, the store could at least have a lot of them. (It has none.)

Magic bolts are likewise restricted in number, as you will know if you've ever run two crossbow-users. I have at least twice bought every magic arrow and every magic bolt in the game -- and still have had to be careful about using them. Restricting the number of magic arrows and bolts is an attempt to nerf missile weapons. It's a common observation that missile weapons are overpowered in AD&D and restricting the number of magic arrows and bolts is an attempt to change it. I expect BG2 to be even worse about this.

BTW, when IWD first came out I remember reading a comment from one of the developers that they were using much better compression techniques for IWD than BG had used. In particular, the number of CDs in the two games is not a reasonable comparison of their sizes.

10. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Well there Sibley you would be correct noting a point that has been posted here on the Sorcerer's board before. Which is yes (in line also with the manual itself as well...) the developers of IWD are using compression that is different from BG.

That can never take away the FACT that BG is enormous in comparision whether it be the land maps, cities, or general area maps. And yes there are about 8 Shops for Weapons and or Magic items in IWD. I recall a post on another board stating BG/TOSC had 29 -perhaps even more. Different adventures, different quests, different needs in an exponential way. I was merely pointing out a BASIC understanding that all can agree (cept you perhaps) that BG/TOSC is a far more massive story line in everyway - which would include the Quantity and Quality of shops. Uhmm, more data = more CD's. No need to read anything more into this or less into this, it's just the way data is stored.

BTW, it's already been released: Far more powerful monsters to deal with in BG2 (uhh, that would include DRAGONS). It's a serious doubt that the designers would have the consumer/gamer battling these type of beasts with a miniscule selection and meager amount of missiles to purchase. NOT wishing an argument but it does make... sense? Right?

11. sibley Gems: 2/31

Of course BG is much bigger. I merely point out (as before) that the number of CDs is not a reasonable way to compare the sizes.

As for what makes sense in BG2 (even with dragons), it's hard to say. Myself, I'd think the shortage of magic arrows and bolts in IWD makes no sense, so I'm not prepared to say what makes sense in BG2 either. Of course, you're perfectly free to talk your own kind of sense.

12. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Magic arrows are not supposed to be available in the huge quantities that you're talking about. They're magical, and thus great effort requiring both master craftmanship and a powerful mage to create them.

I personally thought there were far too many in BG to begin with. Save the magic arrows for the tough fights. Otherwise use regular arrows.

Cheers!

13. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The only problem with this is when every single enemy seems to require a magic weapon to hit. This seems to happen all the time in IWD. Then normal missles are useless. Nothing beats that nice noise when you fire off that crossbow bolt. I love that noise. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.