1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The TOUGHEST battle for you is-

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Draco Vlasavius, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I can't help but ask what were the toughest battles in the game for you all have been.

Me? Now that I've played the game about 4 times I still find one battle that TICKS me off! It also happens to be mentioned in the IWD Online Solution as well. No matter how BAD my party is, they always seem to get delivered a measurable can of WHOOP ASS in a certain place in Dorn's Deep. In no other battle in IWD am I forced to use 'Pause' so much and after it's all over I find myself looking at my monitor in shock. All the mayhem and carnage! Perhaps you remember shortly after arriving there and fighting the Ettins and Blue Myconids etc, you leave the map by traveling across a bridge to the next level. This is where it happens.

Once on the new map a narrow passage leads upward to HELL, at least for me. Waiting are Drow SpellSworders, Neo Orogs, Orog Marauders directly in front of you and Drow Wizards on each side of "the balcony of death" accompanied by a throng of Orc Elite archers who pick your party apart. After my party (last time of 3) reaches their front lines suddenly -either summoned or teleported - Wraith Spiders appear behind you, to POISON your lesser armored party members. And that's just what happens to me every GODDAMN TIME in this damn game. You are now sealed in to be hacked on by master swordsmen, magic missiled from afar, or occasionally treated to a Melf's Acid Arrow, showered with arrows and oh,yeah-POISONED. I didn't want to leave that out. Surprisingly, these foes seem to roll a lot of CRITICALS... This is the TOUGHEST battle for me.

2. Wingfoot Guest

thats a rough one alright, so i just had a Ranger or Thief hide in shadows and pickoff those damn Orc archers with arrows of my own, and did the same for the rest of that Gang.

i must say that the end battle was the toughest for me. the 1st time thru it took me 3 tries, and i had only 3 characters left standing. the 2nd time thru i lost 2 characters, and i knew what was coming, but i only needed one try that time.

3. sibley Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Heh. When I saw the topic I thought of exactly the same battle in Dorn's Deep, not realizing it was the one you were going to write about. It's easily the most complicated battle -- because of the variety and number of foes you face.

If you have one character walk carefully along one side of the bridge, you can raise foes one at a time. The archers are nothing for my tank dwarf, because they can't hit him very often. He takes them out with the Throwing Axe +2. The wraith spiders aren't too hard because I've still got two fighters left with the main body of the party to take them on in melee and keep them away from the weaker members.

For me, the hardest part is the two drow mages. The last time I did this I used my own mage in a Minor Globe of Invulnerability throwing Magic Missiles to get rid of the mirror images (MM gets several hits per round, so the images last only two rounds) then Aganazzar's Scorcher to do some damage. I used the scorcher because I knew from previous experience that they might take no damage from Magic Missiles -- drow are magic-resistant. And still one of the drow mages threw Shroud of Flame, a fifth level spell which naturally went right through the Globe.

In contrast, I found the end battle pretty straightforward. The very first time I did it, I restarted it quickly when I found the Iron Golems attacking my mage. On the restart I put him into Otiluke's Resilient Shield immediately. Once I did that, I just sicced everyone else onto Belhifet, and they beat on him and killed him with no more help from me. After the start, the rest of the fight was on auto-pilot. I just sat and watched. No one in the party died. Not nearly as complicated as that battle in Dorn's Deep.

4. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

That IS definately one nasty battle, however, I did beat it after only one failed attempt. I just kind of snuck my druid up just before their line of vision and cast Stone Spikes to the left and Insect Plague to the right, then I snuck my mage up and cast fireball. When they'd start to come at me I ran back to my party and stopped everyone and waited for the one or two to come to me, once they were dealt with I snuck my mage up again and cast another fireball. Once I did that a few times there was only a couple of guys left for my fighters to take care of. Might be a little like cheating but hey, it got me out squeaky clean!

5. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I got this battle from the first try. However, I was cheating - I knew about that battle from Mr. Moonbow.

The key factor to winning it was my Fighter/Illusionist. Mirror Image, Blur, Haste, and Greater Invisibility. Then I sneaked up to the Neo Orogs and cast a Cloud Kill. They went down fast. Then I cast two snillocs snowballs that seemed to work great on the Ors Elite, and I was still alive because of the Mirror Image and the Invis. The greater Invis is cool stuff, because even when the see you, they receive a MAJOR penalty to hit. So actually the ones that were taking down my Mir Img were the Drows. The Phase Spiders were down by my F/T and a C/R, who closed up on the drows and killed them while my F/I was licking up his wounds.

6. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I beat the battle on my first try without cheating, and only realized how tough it was after counting the corpses.

Essentially I'd lobbed two fireballs on to the balconies to nail the archers, and found to my surprise that I'd taken out the drow mages too. The swordsmen weren't so bad without the attacks from the side.

Cheers!

7. Mox Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] yep, that battle was a big one all right. got thru it on my first try though. the tight bridge got me a little suspicious, sent my hidden thief scout forward, and cast 3 fireballs on both balconies! hehe fortunately the spiders were easily taken care of since i held back most of my troops aside frm the archers nd the mage. mage was quite happy blasting away, then charged my fighters and cleric to finish the remaining archers off.
    enjoy!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.