1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playing ot out without a thief

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Modjahed, Aug 26, 2000.

1. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

YES!!!

It can be done as easy as it can be.

This goes to Draco and everybody out there. First, I have an opinion on which char is better that a Fighter. It is a F/M/C. I am not kidding. After I finish the game I will post him on this site and everyone would be able to see it for themselves.

Those are the keys:
    1. Mirror Image (the most AWESOME spell in the game)
    2. Draw upon holy might - +3 STR, DEX, CON
    3. Prayer & Recitation.

I bet that if my char will stand against any Fighter he will win. Because of the MIRROR IMAGE.

Now back to beating the game with one char. You don't need the thief. All the locked doors and chests are opened with Bashing. I do not need the Stealth because it is better to cast three Fireballs. I do not need pickpocket. And finally the traps. MIRROR IMAGE is the remedy. ANY trap hits the mirrior image first.

As does the Fireball you cast under your feet, and the Acidic Vapour of the Bombardier Beetles, and the Snillocs Snowballs of the Blast Skeletons.

I got through Dragon's Eye today. It took me only three hours to blast through. I think I rested not more that 2 times per level. It was SO easy. I recall of being surrounded by 12 Cold wights and 2 Blast Skeletons. MIRROR IMAGE, 2 Fireballs, Draw Upon Holy Might, Recitation, Prayer and they vanish in 10 rounds. Mind you that I almost never use Haste - it fatigues my char so I have to rest after it wears off - I don't like it because it slows me down.

And, to prevent questions about cheating - I do not use any editors, I started level 1/1/1 but yes, I had the good items from last do through.

BUT after I beat it this time - oh man, you cannot beleive what a pleasure is to play that game - I will do it again from scratch.

Yall have a nice time out there and I hope that I will post the endgame char by Tuesday.

2. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Excuuuuuuuuse ME! I didn't know that I was going to be singled out! Where's my lawyer? j/k.

Ha! Modjahed you are something *else*. But it's all in fun! Sounds as if you are having a measure of success if you've made it through Dragons Eye. -But that's easy compared to 'THE HAND' and...'DORN'S DEEP'...

However, I for one will not accept this go 'round by your F/M/C as a victory because of... CHEATING. Yep, that's right. This is like BILL CLINTON saying it wasn't SEX... Billy baby it was SEX! It was SEX man, c'mon! Can't slice it any other way. Likewise -you're cheating with your F/M/C!
    Modjahed, if you are using ANY items from a previous game for this new game it gives an advantage, an unfair advantage for your character throughout the entire game. This is just another way... to CHEAT! At least you were honest enough to mention it above, so I cant fault your morals (not that it would be my place to do so to begin with). I'll await your next go 'round finale game... if you even complete this go 'round to attempt a next one.... (heh, heh, heh..)

Yep, still skeptical. One character beating the game? Ya, right. BTW, I think every stinkin wizard in the game uses MIRROR IMAGE in both BG & IWD... none survived my party's onslaught. It's a great spell, but in "THE HAND" and even more so in "DORN'S DEEP" it may become a false clutch for your F/M/C.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited August 29, 2000).]

3. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Hi Draco,

First I would like to make a disclaimer. I think in real life I am quite a reasonable person. If I am carried away a little bit sometimes on this forum is only because I massively enjoy the game. Please do not take any offense and I am not singling you out. It was just that you have put in your post that you belong to those doubters.

Second, you have said that you have seen many mirror-imaged mages in BG and IWD, and none could stand against your party of fighters.
    Think of a situation where you fighter is surrounded by a party of mages?

Third, I have just beaten Severed Hand yesterday. It was not so easy because of the shattered sould taking out the mirror image pretty fast, but in the end I started to memorize a load of Chromatic Orbs (level 10) and that did the job. Btw, I never ever used Haste. Thought I better have a couple more Fireballs.

I am still determined to win the game again from scratch. Just one question. For random items, if you do not get the one you want, is it all right to equip the one you have from previous time (but not before the place where you found it)?

Cheers,

P.S. I think you would make a good friend. In real life or in the Web.

4. Rane Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Again....why would anyone use a cleric/ fighter?

The fighter can only use weapons that the cleric can use....that makes him really weak....what is the point?

5. sminnis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There are a few advantages to using F/C. "Physician, heal thyself," is the first one. They can get two points of proficiency on their weapons, and they get more HPs.

While you're right that their weapons are limited, they still have some pretty potent tools at their disposal. (I actually like F/D because they can use scimitars.) Their biggest weakness is ranged attack...let's face it, slings suck. But they actually make pretty good melee fighters, just ask Jahiera. And let's not forget those delicious spells.

6. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] How could you not use the haste spell? It's absolutely the best for combat. My personal preference is to summon three earth elementals then cast haste, hope and courage on everyone (elementals included). This combo is killer. I just finnished the lava level with the elementals and the fire giants without losing a single hit point. You don't have to worry about being tired after the spell because every ennemy in the general vicinity will be very dead. For added fun cast some defensive harmony and protection from evil on everyone as well and nothing can stop you.

7. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

First a reply to Sminnis. Slings are not that good damage wise, but they are a great spell diver. I use the sling only and almost exclusively for that matter. My F/M/C has now a thaco of 9 (base), I have a 19 Dex (22 with spells) so I almost always hit with a sling.

What about a limited weapon usage I have a Shocking Flail +4 (25% chance of 2D3 damage and a 15% chance to stun) and I just love it. The one before was a Fast Flail +2.

Now about Haste and Summon Elementals. I just got the good Summonning spells from Bandoth yesterday while playing the Dorn's Deep. I got through that nasty battle in the beginning of it with a great help from my Summoned Shadows. And I used every buff spell I could cast, Haste included.

What I was trying to say is that I do not need Haste in most battles, and having the possibility not to rest after each monster I kill is good.

Have a nice day!

8. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Just forgot. As Sylvus Moonbow pointed out in his solution, the biggest advantage of a Cleric is not Healing, but the buff spells they have. The "Draw Upon Holy Might", Prayer and Recitation give you HUGE bonuses.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.