1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Just a little help

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Mollusken, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] What kind of weapons do you need to kill Yxunomei? Nobody on the IWD channel seemed to answer...

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

You need weapons of +3 or better.

Sylvus

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

So where do you get +3 weapons by that point in the game? I did even have +2 weapons when I when to Dragon's eye. I think the answer it all spells.

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Spells won't do you much good because she has a high resistance to magic. You'll just be wasting your efforts.

I can't say where I got my +3 weapons, but I do know there are some on the bottom level where you battle this foul beast. Search all the rooms and kill all the creatures within to make sure you find everything you will need for this battle.

Weapons of +3 will do you more good than any spell your mage can cast.

Sylvus

5. sminnis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I killed her using only the +2 sword of confusion.

6. sibley Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think Sylvus is a little confused here. You need +2 weapons for Yxunomei, not +3.

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

syblus is right. She gets wounded with a flail +2 and an axe of defender +2. Still haven't managed to finish her of, though.

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] So did you find those +2 & +3 weapons in Dragon's Eye? And where? I don't remember ANY +3, and only one +2, weapons before the end of Dragon's Eye the first time through. Did I miss something?

9. Wingfoot Guest

the only +2 weapons i remember finding are +2 arrows, maybe 40-60 of them. these were handy, for i split them up between my best 2 archers, had them drink Oils of Speed, and had no problem taking her out, while the rest of party kept those nasty Yuan-ti busy.

10. sibley Gems: 2/31

You should find Erevain's Broadsword (which is +2) on the first level of Dragon's Eye, on a dead body in the section with all the giant insects. The Defender axe, an axe +2 with a +2 AC bonus, is on level 2, way over in the east, below a large group of bombardier beetles, again on a dead body. You should get some +2 weapons on level 3, although I think what they are is random, except for Presio's Dagger, which is fairly useless, being a dagger. I usually get at least one long sword +2 here, sometimes two. On level 4 there is a Flaming Sword (long sword +2 with 50% chance of fire damage) carried by one of the adventurers. You can get it from his death pile if he dies. And of course, you can arrange that if you want to. On level 5 there is a Throwing Axe +2 (returning axe, good ranged weapon if you have good axe skill) as well as a bunch of arrows +2. I also usually get a few +2 bullets before the big battle, although I'm not sure now whether they're from level 4 or 5. There may be other +2 weapons to be found as well. These are just the ones I can remember off-hand.

If you missed all of these, you're just not trying.

In addition, you can buy some good weapons from the blacksmith in Kuldahar. There are two axes, a morning star (I think), and a spear, all +2 or better. You should be able to afford at least one of them. My last time through I bought the spear, which is +3.

From this list, it should be clear that it helps a lot to have someone specializing in axes. There's a good choice of +2 axes at this point.

11. sminnis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I can't remember where I found the +2 sword of confusion (although I know it was after Erevain's broadsword).

Although it's off topic, I'd like to sing the praises of this wonderful weapon. Perhaps excepting only Lonesome Road and (maybe) Misery's Herald, I found it to be tremendously useful. Very late in the game, there are some opponent who can only be hit with +3s or +4s, but excepting those, I think the +2 sword of confusion is great.

My strategy with the sword was to hit an opponent until the confusion kicked in (1 in 4 hits) and then move on to the next opponent. This leaves the confused opponent either scratching his nuts or, if you're lucky, attacking his own.

Admittedly, it was useless in the Severed Hand (spectral undead are immune), but otherwise, I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

12. sibley Gems: 2/31

I believe (from looking through the hint book) that only Iron Golems and Belhifet himself require +3 weapons. No foe requires +4.

Nonetheless, you should find several +4 weapons and even a few +5 weapons before the game is over.

13. Mox Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] yxunomei got resistance, but not immunity frm magic. do u know who in my party finished her off? my mage! downed her with several magic missiles i think, or the scorcher.....its just that not all ur magic attacks get thru, it was a gamble but it paid off. the rest of the party members did a good job weakening her up..

14. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

To the question of the sword of confusion +2. It is found on the same corpse as the +2 defender axe.

One more plus to this weapon is that you can kill Trolls with it. If you deliver the last blow to the slimy bastard and the confusion kicks in, he dies...!

15. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I've now killed her. I burned of all of my magic missiles on her, then I made her attack on of my characters, then moving him away and close her in with the others. Then I hit without her even trying to hit me (or she tried to hit the fellow which she couldn't reach).

I've then found 4 +2 weapons: flail, sword of confusion, axe of defender and that the sword of that dead elf.

16. sevendust62 Gems: 2/31

you even find a +7 (well, technically +4,+7 against evil, but truly, who isn't evil these days)

17. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I think all you need is +2, if that. I brought her down with only one character wielding a +2 sword (the only +2 weapon I'd found at that point); the other characters seemed to strike her just fine with +1 (no "weapon ineffective" messages that I recall). Maybe just the killing strike has to be +2; I dunno. Also, Scorcher seems to fly past her resistances pretty well, unlike other spells. Just start Scorching her from the doorway as she transforms from the little girl (stops her from casting Cloudkill and delivers damage before she gets close enough to hit you) and only step in far enough to see her or you'll rouse an entire room of her henchmen, then lure her into the hallway for hacking. When all is said and done, she fights like a girl and goes down as easy as milk.

18. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I've done it several different ways and the easiest by far is to give your bowmen (I had 3) the arrows +2. You don't even have to haste if you don't want to. The barrage will prevent her from casting any spells and if you do it right, none of the creatures in the room will attack, allowing you to remove them at your leisure.

Cheers!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.