1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To All You doubterts

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by caimenking69, Aug 17, 2000.

1. caimenking69 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I have heard much of your crap about not being able to conquer the game with one character, but I'm here to prove u all wrong, and I will be documinting my attemp up hear to prove u all wrong, hehehe

2. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG]
    Good luck to you, man!

You should start by documenting what type of character you will be using, and what his stats are and such.

3. caimenking69 Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] yea, maybe someone else will also try it...... it'll probably takel ike a month though.... my guy is a gnomish fighter/mage
    str 18/81
    dex 18
    con 18
    int 19
    wis 2
    chr 8

i'm plowing my way to kuldar right now and my guy is already at level 3 for both, to bad i can't use any nemocraticy eh

4. Simon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hey, I was just playing with only one character, a human fighter. I find that it's actually easier, at least in the first couple of chapters, to play the game with just one character. All the xp and the best items make for one very strong character, and no others to worry about. Where a group can be very annoying to manage (someone always wanders off and gets hurt) a solo adventurer is easy. Best of all, all the role-playing strength goes into the one character. I'm having tons of fun. I advise it to anybody!
    I've also found, however, that it's getting increasingly harder as the game progresses. I just finished the first part of Dragon's Eye, and it's getting more difficult to stay unhurt. Hmm, maybe I should try dualling to a cleric... ;)

5. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think the ultimate solo character to play would be a Ranger who duals to a Cleric, since you get tons of abilities including stealth, dual-wielding, healing, and Druid spells to go along with your Cleric ones.

The only thing you don't get is the ability to disarm traps... which can really hurt you later in the game when those traps get really nasty.

A Cleric/thief might work, but with that combo, you're seriously lacking in hitpoints and combat ability.

I'm thinking a 2 person party would be better, with a Ranger/Cleric and a Fighter/Thief. These two would have all the necessary abilities, complement each other well, and still be able to go hand-to-hand should that become necessary.

I might try it sometime soon.

6. Wingfoot Guest

traps can become a problem w/ out a thief. i am currently going thru w/ 4 characters, one of which is a thief, but i dual-classed her to a Conjurer. i just finished the The Temple of Forgotten Gods. there are many traps towards the end, and having no use of my thief skills i sent my Paladin forth to trigger them and take the damage. this is O.K. for now, the traps arent deadly yet, but they will be soon.

7. caimenking69 Gems: 2/31

man, i'm to the vail now and my dude is already 4/4

8. sminnis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Just to join the party, here. I've been playing IWD with a single fighter/mage/thief and am 1/2 way throught the Severed Hand with no cheats or significant hangups. I've already bored everyone with two long descriptions of how it's going under the topic "Question to all", so I won't go into it here. Suffice to say that, thinking about the encounters I know are ahead, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to finish. The battles I'm chiefly worried about are Malavon (Mavalon? I forget), the woman near the dragon (the one with the spectral knight guards) in Wyrm's tooth, the fire giant onslaught in the mines.

Really hoping to find some magical item that bestows permanent free action. Holding spells are a bitch when you're all alone.

9. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] sminnis, you should get a Ring of Free Action from Orrick in Kaldahar if you complete his quest. you can also pickpocket him for it or Arundel has one too and you can steal it from him as well... that is if he is not dead yet.

[This message has been edited by Wingfoot (edited August 19, 2000).]

10. sminnis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Now you tell me!

Arundel is dead, and the magic item you get from Orrick is one of the random objects. Here's hoping he gives it to me.

11. Wingfoot Guest

Thieves and Bards dont have the ability to Pickpockets for nothing. you should try it. i was able to pickpocket Orrick twice ( i got the Ring of Free Action every time i went thru the game, i am my on 3rd time thru and i have it now). try the guy in the airship as well, i was able to pick his pockets 4 times. i got 3 potions and a great ring.

12. caimenking69 Gems: 2/31

through the vail, those traps are wicked, i should have fun with yzioukma, oh well

13. BOB_BK Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I don't want to sound intolerant, but if you want to play with only 1 character why don't you play Diablo instead.

14. caimenking69 Gems: 2/31

don't have a copy of it...... reached dragons eye,

15. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You don't have Diablo, not to mention Diablo 2?! You're missing out on some great gaming! Go and buy them, yes thats right, get off your @ss and buy them, NOW!

16. caimenking69 Gems: 2/31

i'll do that, u fat chunk of fetal matter ;)

17. YEah, Diablo II Rules!!! I've just spent the better part of a weekend getting my Paladin through Acts 1 and 2.

After this I'm going to play as a Barbarian for that 2 weapons ability. You can even use a 2 hander and a shield!

18. caimenking69 Gems: 2/31

i'll have to get out they ol' stock portfolio, eh (or pirate a copy), hehehe :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.