1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

mage heavy parties (and magic resistant parties)

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Heineken69, Aug 14, 2000.

1. Heineken69 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I saw some earlier posts about people with magic heavy parties with little or no fighter support. Also saw some posts about the doubt of magic resistance monsters in the game. Well let me address both of those topics....

HELL YES there are magic resistant monsters!!!...They're called Iron Golems, and they SUCK!!!

These guys start to appear towards the latter part of the game. They are 100% magic resistant, have mondo hit points, and seem to hit some of my fighters (double digit -AC's) with ease! It takes +3 or better weapons to hit them, and to add insult to injury, they belch forth poisonous gas!!! They also seem to want to make a beeline straight towards the only mage I have who doesn't have stoneskin!

If you have any thoughts on finishing this game, I strongly suggest you either duel class one of your characters to a fighter type...or start over.

2. caimenking69 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Also you'll have fun with the final battle, right?... I don't think a mage has anything in his power to kill a golem does he?

3. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG]
    A mage does have a few weapons against golems... but I would suggest that if you're going for a magic-heavy party, you multi- or dual-class a couple of them with fighters.

The Fighter/Mage is terrifically efficient.. he can use Magic missile to deal out initial ranged damage (which never misses, and can't be resisted). He should have Stoneskin cast before the fight began, and after 1 or 2 magic missile casts, should probably go with Tenser's Transformation, equip his favorite melee weapon, and go to town!

But of course, this just goes to re-affirm the importance of the fighter. No mage is so great that he can survive without a stout warrior keeping the claws of the enemy from rending his pretty robes!

-The Wretched

4. Heineken69 Gems: 1/31

99.9% of the time I would agree with you...a mage has nothing with which to confront an Iron Golem....

Then I was reminded of one simple spell....Tenser's Transformation. It basically turns your mage into a Fighter of almost the same level. Adds hit points, THAC0, and gives you a Strength Bonus. The only problem with this is that you have to find the freakin scroll!!!

5. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I think I found a scroll of Tenser's Transformation in the room that is to the right of where you first meet our beloved friend Malavon. But... to get there you have to kill the golems or use Invisibility.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Modjahed (edited August 15, 2000).]

6. BOB_BK Gems: 1/31

There is a way a mage can beat the Golems. You just have to find some awesome scrolls of summoning(IV,V,VI + Shadows)and there is no Golem who can stand this army of monsters.From time to time in the battle you can greet him with few bullets+2.(you'd better learn those cool spells beforehand, if you can)If the army gets short of men there is no reason to summon some more monsters.(because of this multiple summoning I spent every block in mage book for learning summon spells)Conjurers rule, Necromancers too!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.