1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

re: Paladins

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Modjahed, Aug 11, 2000.

1. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Question to our Masters like Sylvus, Eggman, and others who played AD&D all the way up and down ;)

Was it on this forum or on the other that i read, that having a Paladin in your party influences the randomizer a lot?

The reason that was given for it that the game code seems to react to a Paly in a different way.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Modjahed (edited August 11, 2000).]

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I don't know specifics because I'm just getting ready to finish my first game...But the game did seem to react to my paladin rather well. He was my lead character, and there were a lot of instances where the monsters and NPC's I interacted with had specific things to say to the Paladin.

When I was in the fire giant area, the giants didn't mess with me at all until I attacked the Elf chick. I think my answer to the guards question was something like "Being in search of the truth." The giant said very well Paladin, but if you make trouble we'll squash you...Or something like that...

I also noticed that a lot of the cooler swords tended to be good for my Paladin...The Maiden's Reaver (Aurilite Bastard Sword), Kresselock's THS, Pale Justice (which I almost passed by, because it looked ordinary!), and the Flaming Sword worked really well for my group.

I played a Paladin usually in the old PnP D&D, so I enjoyed playing one in general...But it seemed to be a good character to have in IWD.

3. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    P.S. Я говору по-Русский тоже! Я изучал в университете!

4. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    But my spelling in Russian is terrible now! I don't get to practice enough!

5. Logun Ironwolf Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

Most notible that I can think of is where you figt Yx. My Paladin imediately saw the evil aura of the priest on that level and so I spent the rest of the level fighting everything.

Yes the game does have a lot of special code for if you have a Paladin in your party.

6. worldclass Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I also noticed that you can get a little extra XP if you have a Paladin. In Easthaven instead of just letting Jed get drunk you can get him clerical help for his "drinking problem" and in Kuldahar you can talk one local into giving the faith of Illmater a try, thereby also gaining a little more side XP. That is why I declare this Paladin Appreciation Day!

7. Worldclass, you can do the same thing if you have a character with INT greater than 15, and CHA greater than 14.

8. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

All of the above points are excellent ones. The fact remains that the single most powerful sword is made for only the Paladin. With the boots of speed, some occasional 'hasting' & Pale Justice I sent my Paladin in alone on many of the last battles. He remained undefeated. Of course a -12 AC helped as well. I believe with some prayers, chants, etc. he maxed out at a -15 AC.

So considering the Sword, special reactions with NPC's and Monsters I'd conclude that YES, certain code has been slanted to having a holy warrior in the party.

-noted there are special reactions to certain classes and races in Icewind Dale but it doesn't seem to compare to the Paladin.

9. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

An interesting Paladin only encounter happens in Kuldahar with that little rat-bastard halfling inkeeper. He Told me that as a Paladin, I shouldn't be snooping around his inn. I must admit to not playing my Paladin as a proper law-abiding doer of good. :D

10. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Wow, thanks guys for all the replies. I really appreciate it!

Have a nice day (night...)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.