1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What areas did you like/disklike? *some spoilers I guess*

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Javalar, Aug 9, 2000.

1. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hi folks, I'm just wondering what areas you enjoyed/disliked.

Personally, I thought the Dorn's Deep/Wyrm'sTooth/Lower Dorn's Deep Area was exquisite. I also enjoyed Severed Hand.

I really didn't like Vale of Shadows/Kresselack's Tomb much, and I thought that Dragon's Eye was far too long.

Finally, the ending Easthaven sequence was laughably short. 3 fights? C'mon!

What do you guys think?

Cheers

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I think I liked Seldarine's Hand/Dorn's Deep/and the Icy place...A lot of cool monsters, decent fights and good magic items.

I thought the last big push in Dragon's Eye was pretty good too! When you fight all the Yuan Ti! It seemed like I barely had any opportunity to rest, and the damned yuan ti archers kept pecking away!

Overall, I like IWD much more than BG...and I keep hearing about a possible expansion disk - I hope it's true. I need something to hold me over until BG II comes out!

3. Javalar Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] I found that the High Summoner in that level was one of the more original and fun encounters in the game. The fact that I knew he kept summoning those monsters, I was rabidly looking for him, running into his creatures every so often, when I finally whacked him, boy, that felt GOOD!

Cheers

4. Vezhnick the grey elf Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have not yet finished the game (I'm at Dorn's Deep now) but I liked Severed Hand (It was quite an interesting and beautifull location), Dragon Eye gave my body a good adranalin rush many times (and I liked it!),
    Vale of shadow was to dark and unpleasent(Suck's!!).

5. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Basically I agree with Javalar (although I have not been to Chap 6 yet). The only thing I disagree on is Severed Hand. I found it too simple and boring - all towers the same, ordinary fights.

Actually, provided that before playing I read the forum and parts of the solution, everything may seem easy, but I enjoyed the scenery in Dorn's Deep / Wyrms Tooth.

6. Javalar Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] Actually, the one Severed Hand battle I had some difficulty with, and was rather well scripted I thought, was the one when you bust in on the Council meeting and the elves materialize around you.

Cheers

7. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Icewind Dale is exceptionally done -graphically speaking and with an impresive storyline. I enjoyed the 'candle lit' narration with the 'turning of the pages' as the story unfolds addition.

The only areas of improvement is the 'quick' start and the 'quick' end. Basically the end could use an overhaul simply because when you are 'gated/teleported' to Easthaven after battling Bro Rev P -your party is no doubt high on potions, spells and armed to the teeth. You basically run through Easthaven right up to the end until the 'Big fight'. Which folks, yes is very similar to the 'Sarevok' battle in BG1. Remember? You know- the traps all over the $#%$ floor and being bum rushed -this time by the Golem Twins that aren't even Barbie-shaped and Mr. Hellspawnt with a true incendiary nature.

-A minor side note about the 'Severed Hand'. Elves 'above ground' shouldn't be so, so...'dark'. And clutter galore. C'mon I could barely move around with stuff ALLLLL over. I understand the 'fortress falling in battle' and thus debris strewn about but isn't that what rats are for? 5-10yrs of nibblin and gnawing the place should've been a bit more tidy. Even dead High Elves or Silver Elves should act a bit more glorious or light inclined. Instead of so 'Drow-like'

Nevertheless, I've played it twice now and will visit it again with a smaller party over the weekend.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.