1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nobody likes thieves?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Nightblade, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Nightblade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Does anybody else out there like thieves besides me? If you don't, why not?

2. Ciller Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I like thieves.. just not pure ones. They are too limited in the game play in my opinion. A mage/theif is perfect. No waste of slots for detect trap and a good enough mage for any situation. I found it to be a perfect accessory to my group of fighters.

3. Wingfoot Guest

i agree, i dont like pure thieves, they cant do to much when they are pure. i like using Fighter/Thieves (multi-calssed) the most. backstabbing can do serious damage if you get a high STR.

i have never used a Cleric/Thief, might work well. right now i am using a Mage/Thief on my 2nd time thru IWD, but i am not too sure how i feel about M/T. they only get one weapon slot, but sneaking up on an enemy in steath mode and unleashing a fireball is pretty cool.

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I'm using a Mage/Thief in IWD and it is going well. M/T get 2 weapon slots to start with, just like a pure theif. You get the high of the classes. The only problem is that with all her XP cut in half the mage half goes up real slow. She's 2 lvls behind the rest of the party. In the end it will be worth it. But in IWD I agree I don't think I'd run a pure thief. In some games there are great just not in this one.

5. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I hate pure thieves, but I absolutely love multi-classed thieves. I hate bards!

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I disagree, Bards are much better than theives. When is the last time theives cast a spell?

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited August 03, 2000).]

7. Bards Rule! They can cast spells, play songs, use a bow, fight, identify almost anything AND pick pockets!

I agree that pure thieves are a waste of a character. I have a fighter/thief, who is great. A thief/mage sounds interesting though, you could hide in shadows and fire off a few area effect spells before enemies knew you were there!

8. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Some sort of thief is really necessary, unless you want to stumble through every single trap in the game. I like the Thief/Mage best, they play a support role, plus you they can hide in shadows. I never really use pickpockets, there isn't enough good stuff on non-hostile NPC's. Hide in shadows is usefull but secondary to disarm traps and open locks. Without open locks you can't get at least 50% of the best stuff in the game because it's in locked, trapped chests.

9. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] Bards don't cast spells! And who cares if they can play some shi** song?! They use wands, and so can thieves, pure or multi. Identify and high lore are truly unimportant, as anyone can spare 50-100 gold to identify. They can only pick-pocket, a practically useless skill. They can use almost any weapons, but armor only up to studded leather. They in turn are the worst and most fuc** up class in the forgotten realms. :p

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited August 04, 2000).]

10. Wingfoot Guest

Eggman, Bards CAN cast spells, but not until 2nd level, and they can wear up to chain mail. But Garrick does suck. there are only 2 bards in BG and they both are bad.

in BG there were not enough special items that only bards can use. in IWD there are plenty of bard specific items that can make them more powerful as spell casters. i personally like bards, but maybe thats because the 1st time i played PnP AD&D i used a bard.

as for the song , i never use it. (except @ the begining of IWD to get some X.P.)

[This message has been edited by Wingfoot (edited August 04, 2000).]

11. Slipper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Bards can be really useful at high levels, and IWD obviously likes them beacuse of all the Bard-specific stuff in it. But why no Monks. They can be really dangerous.

12. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I agree that a pure thief is a mess. A Mage/Thief is too slow in gaining XP. I love my Hlafling Fighter/Thief.

What concerns the Bard, I think it is one of the most useful chars in the game. First, it CAN cast spells - a bard can kill pretty tough monsters all by himself using only magic - and he gets more HP thast a mage AND more, that a Mage/Thief. Second, even if a Bard is not in the middle of a fight, he plays music - other fight better - still better that doing nothing (like a mage run out of magic). Plus he is a good bowman.

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Eggman, either you did get a manual with IWD or you never played AD&D before but Bards are great. They CAN cast spells, use ANY weapon and wear up to chain (not studded leather). They have the battle song ability, can pick pockets, (even more thieving abilities in Table Top) and have great lore scores. And all this for the same XP as a theif! It's true that they can only cast up to 6th level spells but for half the XP of a mage that's a deal. A bard of equal level is better than a theif almost all the time. You need to know more about Bards before you say they suck.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited August 04, 2000).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.