1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hardest Fight?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Ciller, Aug 1, 2000.

1. Ciller Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I was wondering what people thought was the hardest fight in the whole game. Which put you through the most amount of trouble? Looking around a couple of sites I found that most people think Malavon was the hardest, with his high lvl spells. However, when I found him my friend dared me to charge in their and screw the consequences. I proceeded and killed him easily?!? Anyways, I would have to say the two hardest fights I had in the game were the swarm of Yuan-Ti and the snake worshipers after I found out their farce on the fourth level of Snake Eye. I did not expect the attack and after a few telling blows to my leaders head we sounded a retreat, left the area, rested and healed, and ran back into the fray. We layed waste to them. The other hardest fight would have been large group of Umber Hulks that popped out the ground unexpectedly. I was surronded by them and only my mage escaped their malicous gaze. She managed to kill one when my Druid and Fighter managed to wrestle control of their mind again. My druid almost dead ran far away and with sheer luck my crew slowly came in and out of control of their mind and hacked away untill all Umber Hulks fell dead. Other hard and memorable fights were the two warrior brothers below the theifs hall, Pomab, and of course the last fight. Feel free to tell a story of your favorite fight.

2. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] i killed Malavon the 1st time i met him, although it wasnt easy.
    the hardest battle for me was the end, when you fight Poq., the deamon. it took me 3 tries and even after killing him, i had only three party members left standing. the golems kept chasing my mage around, i thought this was funny, my mage running around in circles until she died, then the golems went after my bard, and he ran around in circles, but survived. that was rough.

3. rwhitf1 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i was also having alot of trouble with the priestess until i read a hint. it said to send your mage in there and fire a couple of fireballs, then run into that room to the left and shut the door. she comes after you and never even looks at the rest of the party. when i did this, nobody got touched
    RMW

4. caimenking69 Gems: 2/31

I thought yzoiumi or whatever her name was.... was easy.... and malovon was a blast once i got the hang of it... but i suprisignly had trouble with those two brothers...... I felt like an idiot loosing a party memeber to a single human.... that just SUCKED

5. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Daemon, the only times I died, twice trying to beat him.

6. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] thanks Eggman, my spelling has never been good, man, i feel like i'm back in high school again, or is it agian ;)

7. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

No need to thank me. Your not the worst speller in this group.

8. Dark Phoenyx Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Personally Malavon was the worst because he loved that teleport spell. I had to do him and annoying snake girl twice because I beat the game beofre the patch, and my normal tactics of making the party invisible, and sending summoned monsters to take the brunt of spells and kill lesser creatures, and then have my mage and bard drop their invisibility to fireball the bad guys congregated around my summoned creatures caused the entire area to be blocked off with those stupid blocked areas and I couldn't get the gem and badge.

9. Ciller Gems: 2/31

I took out malavon on a dare. My friend was watching me and said "just charge in there..." So I did. I casted haste, and protective spells on my characters.. I wounded Malavon and he teleported away, while he was gone killing deep gnomes (poor fellows) I killed off the golems. He came back and I finished him off with ease!

10. Onionlord Gems: 1/31

Malavon was a wuss. Let him tele around casting all his spells, go into another room and get a coke, watch the simpsons, come back and look... all his spells wore off.. oh whats that... my fighter with 5x 2hander specilization and that +4 2hsword wants to have a word with you...

Yux was a joke once I thought to take my thiefs armor off and disarm the traps outside her room. Magic ressistance be damed, enough casts and Magic Missle and Magic Stone WILL cause damage not to mention the before mentioned warrior or the ranger or the paladin or the fighter/theif.

The Idol was easy once I realized I could pull half the greater mummies after i blasted them with silince 15foot radius, exit camp repeat, summoned stuff to bur the idols spells and enter the fighter.

The Demon, please the iron golems were dead befor he cast his second spell and sure I lost some of the group killing him but he was droped in short order.

But of all the fights... the umberhulks that crash through the wall gave me the most trouble. It was the one fight I acutaly made use of my mage not only befor to set traps, but during casting spells, instead of keeping him on autokill. Some summoned monsters to distract the hulkies, hoplesness on the ones closest to cause more of a roadblock, and a few casts of "Cone of Cold" finaly rocked the beasts ( it helped the mage had that robe from malavon that made him immune to hulk gaze ).

second would be the room in Yux's place, the second one, where there are the elite archers. Those normal ones do a great job of keeping one distracted while the archers pick you off. that one took some doing to get through also.

11. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yuxonomei I found extremely easy.

To kill her, just split up the 30 or 40 arrows +2 you find amongst your bowmen.
    Then edge your way until the conversation starts
    When she turns into a demon, open fire.
    You'll kill her in about 3 seconds.
    Then lob a couple fireballs in to finish off
    the rest of the monsters.

12. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Umber Hulk fights:

Well, I got my ass kicked the first time, so
    I reloaded and gave all my guys potions of clarity. Without the confusion, they fell pretty quick

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I am getting ready to fight the Demon at the end I think...I just killed Pomab at the top of the temple.

I think one of the hardests fights were with the twin fighters in Dorn's Deep...But mostly because I fought with my Paladin only, the others in my group hung back...It seemed like the honorable thing to do at the time...Since my paladin is the lead character.

I had no trouble with the priestess, the yuxo demon went down really quick, and I just waited for Malavon to stop D-Dooring...WHen he stopped my party was all over him! But the graphics on his Malavon's rage spell was pretty cool!

Some of the fight's in the Hand got a little hairy, but overall they've been challengning but not impossible.

14. pig Gems: 1/31

I thought that the Ice sorceress in jorils cave was extremely tough. Her 5 death knight guards were beating on my fighters while she was casting from behind took me 3 tries to beat her. i haven't started chapter 6 yet, but I bet there will be harder fights to come. I don't remember the 2 brothers in act 4, where were they?

15. punman Gems: 1/31

Any large group of archers is a hard fight. That room with the elite yuan-ti archers in Yxonumei's level was tough, at that level. The group of elven fighters in Severed Hand with the archers was about as tough.

My party sucks - pally, fighter, ranger, thief, fighter/cleric (by far the most kickass next to the fighter,) and ENCHANTER. (Do not fucking pick that spec mage, you can't cast evocation spells. Oops my bad.)

I screwed up Malavon, I just got there last night and accidentally saved over my good game with a guy dead and un-resurrectable. I have to go back a bit, not too bad but just annoying. He was pretty easy. After dialogue, just take out his hulks and golems. Send in the fighters to cut him up, he'll start teleporting, go into the anteroom (just to the south of the room where he stands originally) and wait for him to stop bouncing around. Send in the fighters again and by this time your +4 weapons should slice him up for dog meat in no time.

I think there are several "annoying" battles in the game. There's alot of points in the game where you've been fighting relatively easy encounters, getting sloppy, and then you get hit with a pretty tough scenario and you have to buckle down and do it the "right" way. The umber hulk ambush is one of those. If you don't prepare for it you'll fail your confusion saving throws enough that your party will kill each other. Malavon's robe provides some protection, and your cleric can cast chaotic commands on a few other guys to keep them fighting the right folks.

Haven't gotten to the end yet, though I'm sure that's the hardest fight.

16. pig Gems: 1/31

I still think that the ice sorceress and her death knights were the hardest for me, it took me 3 tries nothing else took me that long(although I haven't tried the demon at the end yet)

Malavon was easy let ur fighters tangle with his golems while the umber hulks are stuck behind, then I had my mage lay down 2 death clouds, on the hulks that killed em, and my fighters took the golems easily. No one got confused by the hulks. While this was going on malavon was being a fool. He was casting dumb buffs on himself and only casted fireball once which didn't do much dmg. He got killed I think by the death clouds, b/c i found a guy with a robe there, but then he was suddenly still alive in a little alcove all alone, my fighters killed him b4 he got a spell off he was pretty easy.

Everyone else in chapter 6 was pretty easy except for the maiden Ilmata(whatever) with her fire giants, that I had to redo again to win. just lure the giants to the bridges and take em 1 at a time, while the rest stand be hind, then lay down some cloud kill(I love this spell) and whatch the miaden and her giants roll over and die.

17. pig Gems: 1/31

Just killed final demon and he was a beast. took me 3 tries, first 2 i got him to "almost dead" but then lost. only reason i won on the 3rd time was b/c my druid got his full heals off both times without being interrupted. I just had my wizard with his 2x normal speed boots run the golems around and occasionally cast a quick magic missile on the demon, then my 3 fighting characters beat on him with my druid healing. Great game, on next time through i might try a group full of lots of mages, and DEFINATELY not use a druid.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.