1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Duel Class Thief, Cleric/Druid

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Vetinari, Jul 22, 2000.

1. Vetinari Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

First of all is there any point in duel classing a fighter->thief, in BG it let you wear drizzt armour and use a long bow so was very usefull?

Also not sure whether to have adruid or cleric, likeddruid in BG becuase of monstrd summoning and lightning strike. Is there any point in duel classing a Fighter -> cleric or Fighter -> druid?

Any Help Would Be Nice

2. Derf Gems: 1/31

If you dual class a cleric and fighter, you can get greater hit points and above 18 strength. I dual classed a dwarf fighter/cleric. It was a bonus to have the dwarf's constitution 19 as well. Remember cleric's only get bonuses to hit points up to 16 constitution.

3. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG]
    You can't dual class dwarves.. only humans can dual-class... dwarves, elves and other demi-human races can multi-class, however.

As to wether you should have a druid or cleric, I like them both for different reasons. The cleric can act as a tank, being able to wear any armor and wielding some nice weapons... while the druid gets alot of really useful spells a cleric doesn't have.

If you multi- or dual-class a fighter with a druid, you can get passed the druid's armor restriction, and they are just as powerful as a cleric at that point, with the ability to use edged weapons (some, at least).

When using a thief, I generally multi-class them with either a fighter or mage, because single-classed a thief just isn't that useful with my playstyle. If you do a fighter/thief, you have all the abilities you need from the thief (trap disarm, stealth, etc) plus the ability to use every weapon, AND the hitpoint/strength bonuses... so it's a very attractive combo!

A mage/thief, however, can stealth into a room, get perfect placement, and unleash some spells into a group of monsters when they're least expecting it. This was my favorite multi-class character.

4. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Personally I don't like multi-classes or dual-classes. And since leveling up is very important throughout the entire game, especially in IWD. I only suggest adding another class after your character is at a mid level or if you have a lot of powerful low to mid level NPCs.

I find that mage/fighters are good because you have the ability to wear any armor or wield any weapon and use powerful spells, best to start with a mage then at a mid level go to fighter than for a fighter to go mid level to a mage. You do this because you can buy weapons and armor at any time but good spells are harder to find towards the end and so you can memorize more spells.

I find clerics and druids to be the best alternative to a mage in terms of magic. (Much better than a bard.) I don't suggest you even bother adding a class to either of these characters, as they are basically a fighter/mage rolled into one.

Thieves should never be dual-classed unless they are already at a high level because you'll end up having to sacrifice the thieving skills for those of the other class you choose. Thieves are also very delicate and even if you add a class towards the end you could lose a good thief.

Moreover, I feel dual-classing is for players who know the game well, I'm not implying anything, I'm merely stating a few facts. Multi-classing is for the experts who've played and beaten the game several times with different NPCs, classes and playing styles. Also remeber that by adding a class you will have to split the experience and that can really cause some crappy characters that will end up being on a low level even towards the end. Be very cautious.

If you wish to dual class a cleric or druid try to dual class them to anything they're not good at such as a cleric\thief. Once again PLEASE be careful.

Good advice on dual or multi-classing is that you should find the weak spot of your class and compensate by adding the class that they're weak in. This has gave me success in playing IWD and I hopr it gives it to anyone reading this. Also once again be CAREFUL! I've completely screwed up my character by adding a class without weighing the pros and cons out first. Also before making any alteration SAVE THE GAME!

To answer your question YES!!! You're very much correct. There are many cool useful things for a fighter that can only be stolen!

-THE FAT EGG

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited July 23, 2000).]

5. Wingfoot Guest

i personaly like using a multi-classed fighter/thief. my best member is an elven multi-classed F/T. a F/T can wear a helmet, use a larger shield and use a composite long bow which regular thieves cant use. you can specialize w/a sword or dagger and a bow (i think a long sword/long bow work best) and get bonuses to hit and to damage. this coupled w/a high STR. can lead to some damaging backstabs. of course lower HPs and slower leveling were considered when i created my F/T.

6. punman Gems: 1/31

Also note the thief xp table is very quick, so multiclass xp splits aren't as bad as with 2 classes with hefty xp requirements (i.e. cleric/mage)

I don't see the point of mage/thief. Most critters interrupt you long before your spell goes off unless the mage isn't being attacked. So hiding and firing off that fireball may, literally, backfire.

fighter/cleric works surprisingly well. Especially in IWD there are some hefty blunt weapons that would fight a fighter/cleric pretty well. Mine's worked out just fine.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.