1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

what is right party?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Celesoft, Jul 8, 2000.

1. Celesoft Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm fairly new to IWD, and I've tried different combinations of characters for different parties. The only one that seemed to work was my 2ranger, 4 fighter group. However, as I go farther into the game i realized that mages and/or clerics are needed in order to defeat harder monsters. However, they are extremely weak in the beginning of the game, what is the right combination of characters?

2. RyogaHibiki Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I can't say for certain which group would be the best for you but the group that i currently have is a fighter, paladin, cleric, bard, specilist mage(transmuter), and a ranger. this group has worked great for me so far but the only thing that i realized i was missing is a much needed thief. so exchanging the paladin or ranger for the thief would probably be the best bet.

3. Derf Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I believe you need to start with a core group consisting of:
    1-Fighter
    1-Fighter/Ranger/Paladin
    1-Thief(very important for finding traps and scouting)
    1-Cleric(healing, poison neutralization,etc.)
    1-Speciality Mage(for area effects,i.e. fireball,etc.)I like Summoning speciality, you get the best chose of spells
    The 6th character is hardest :(either of these)
    1-Bard(for extra spells and bard song)
    1-Mage combination-Figher/Mage
    1-Fighter/Druid
    1-Druid
    1-Fighter/Thief
    Just remember you need diversity, because fighing isn't always the best way. You need as much magic and stealth as you do swordplay.

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There some good advice in these replies already, but just remember and warriors are stronger at lower levels and mages/clerics at higher. The key is to have enough warrior types to keep your mages alive long enough to become powerful. This transition happens around 6th to 8th level. I suggest 2 warrior type, one fighter and one Paladin or Ranger. 1 cleric, one theif and one mage. The last spot could be used for a bard or druid or second mage. Or if you want a little stronger party earlier on a 3rd warrior. Also remember to use different races, weapons and alignments.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The best advice is to pick a group you'll have fun with...It's not necessarily about maxing out in all the attributes, but enjoying the game & the story...

Personally, I've always liked having a Paladin in my party, but that's because that was the first character I played when I was introduced to tabletop D&D. I've always liked to have a well rounded party, but I've never gone the dual classed route like starting with a fighter to gain hit points, then switching over to a mage or something else.

Since I've been reading these boards, I've been thinking about playing a bard character (I never have before)...They've gotten good reviews, so I think I'm going to try one out in the next IWD game I play. Right now my party consists of:

Human Paladin
    Dwarf Fighter
    1/2 Elf Cleric
    Elf Fighter/Mage
    Halfling Fighter/Thief
    Human Illusionist

I've had some pretty tough fights, but so far my group has been doing well.

6. Chasmyr Gems: 1/31

well, I based my starting group on a party my friends and I played in a dice game for over a year, and they seem to work well... I have a dwarven fighter, an elven thief (stealth only), a human cleric, a human mage, an elven fighter/theif (find traps/open locks), and an elven ranger. When you get access to the upper level spells, make sure you arm everyone with magical weapons, then cast prayer, recitation, bless, and strength of one with the cleric, and have the mage cast haste... I've taken out entire rooms of wights and armored skeletons without so much as a scratch.

7. PsychoSlayer Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I personnally love to charge into battle and don't use spells much and have thus created a party that works well for me which consists of:
    1-Human Ranger
    1-Human Fighter (Barbarian)
    1-Elven Fighter/Thief
    1-Dwarven Fighter/Cleric
    1-Half-Elf Fighter/Druid
    1-Gnome Fighter/Illusionist

This gives quite the variety of melee weapon, ranged weapon, special skills and spell choices. Although the multi-class PC's don't advance quite as fast as the single class, they are usually only 1 level behind.

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] The everything/fighter party sounds like it would work pretty will. My only concern is that it smacks a little of the CRPG max-out practice. Don't get me wrong there is nothing _wrong_ with it. Call me old fashion but would you ever play such a party in a table top game. I think that is the big question for me. Is this party a 'realistic' talbe top party? Would it work in real AD&D. I understand that CRPGs are not the same, but their getting closer. I hope some day soon CRPG will be focused on role-playing and not on clicking the mouse. The day has not come yet. But I still try to play in the spirit of it.

OK that's enough RP rant from me for now!

9. worldclass Gems: 1/31

My first party consisted of the "well-rounded" paladin (face guy), dwarven fighter(tank), cleric, halfling fighter/thief (great initial racial bonuses on thieving skills), conjurer (extra spell per level and the only spell they can't learn is detect evil) and a druid (quick level progression). I went through the game pretty fast though and learned all the twists and turns.

For my 2nd game though I have a Ranger, Elven Fighter, Elven Fighter/Thief, Human Fighter ( with high intelligence that I can dual-class to a mage),a Druid and a Fighter/Druid. So far they're killing all the competition!

10. Kytax Despana Gems: 1/31

the way I did it was have a one character party, just one fighter, and once he got strong enough, I added a cleric

at around the clerics fourth level, I have added a thief, and have so far had no problems

11. Gandalf Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] There really is no "right party" as everyone's style of game play is different. I feel that you must at least have a thief as there are many, many traps in this game. So far I have only reached the last level of Dragon's Eye and other than turning undead, which is extremely helpful, I really have not used my cleric that much and have been wondering if she is needed at all in my party. Here is what I have for a party
    1. Human Paladin- she is the leader, uses her 18 Charisma well
    2. Half-Elf Cleric
    3. Elven Ranger- with a Defender Battle axe in hand and a Flaming Long Sword in the other he cleaves through enemies up close and is very deadly with a bow as well.
    4. Elven Fighter Theif- Deadly with a bow and long sword, I have defeated many enemies with his backstab, in fact I did 86 pts of damage to Presio, killing her in one hit.
    5. Half-Elf Bard- I like the bonuses that a bard gives when playing the battle tunes, plus she can wield a bow and cast magic missle
    6. Elven Fighter Mage- High hit points for a mage and he is a wrecking ball deadly with the long sword and bow after his magic arsenal is gone.
    I like elves , they get bonuses to bow and long sword plus they can have a 19 dex which is very important in my opinion. All of my fighters have at least 16 CON and 18/76 STR and no one has a dex under 17. I have pretty much cruised through the game so far. I think I have a pretty well balanced party and you should try it out you probably will like it.

[This message has been edited by Gandalf (edited July 12, 2000).]

12. Jerky Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You know what I just realized? I didn't see a robe of the neutral (or good) archmagi in the whole game. I did however come across TWO robes of the evil archmagi. This is discrimination against good and neutral. It would be good to maybe have one kind of evil mage.

13. kschlipf Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] My favorite party design is a single fighter.
    Sure, it makes the game almost impossibly challenging, but I just won Icewind Dale that way without cheating so it can't be impossible.

Try it for a challenge. :)

14. Mustang56 Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I'm Using a Good Mix of Party Members and have cruised through the game so far as well, although I'm only on chapter 3. Here's what I have that works for me.

Ranger - (Male) Elf
    cleric - (Female) Human
    Thief - (Male) Elf
    Fighter/Mage - (Female) Half-Elf
    Mage - (Female) Elf
    Ranger - 9Male) Elf

As Long as you have a lot of healing Potions the Cleric is just another Fighter to me. Teh two mages helps a lot for me. and the thief is a must, since he is Level 8 his theiving abilities are all up in the 88% range. the two Rangers are my Tanks, both have around 77 Hit Points, but I think the Key to this Game so far is all my Charecters have Missle Weapons! When I see that they are doing no Damage with them (I.E. Only magical Weapons to do Damage) I have enough +1 and +2 Arrows to compsensate or I switch to their magic swords and hack away.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.