1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dwarven Party, no mages no druids no bard...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Silksteel, Jul 7, 2000.

1. Silksteel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] How about this, a dwarven party with everybody 20 constitution, platemail (eventually..) en lots of HP, but no mages, bard etc:
    3 Fighters
    2 Clerics
    1 Thief

also everybody will be armed with either hammers, axes or maces ranged throwing axes and slings.
    Do you think it can work, or have i limited myself too much? Comments please.

2. DailyRich Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well, your magic resistance will be pretty high!

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Let me start by saying that I'm always interested in the themed party over the min-max party. I like dwarves but I think your going to have some problems. First off you're going to have trouble buying things with a whole party full of PC with low CHA. You can limit the amount of help you'll get from NPC as well. Your only real option is the "bull in the china shop" plan. Just ram though everything. You can't detect or ID magical items, you detect invisibility, you can't use most wands and scrolls, you have almost no area effect spells, etc. The list goes on and on. And more over if your Cleric goes down or get's charmed your done for. No back up spells, no hold person, no dispel magic, and totally no magical defense. Without stoneskin life is not the same.

Be brave and go for it, but a well rounded party wins every time.

4. Silksteel Gems: 1/31

well, the vulnerability to magic is why i have two clerics (and thinking about making the thief a multiclass thief/cleric), they will all have dispel magic. Secondly, they're dwarves and should just ignore it saying "I don't believe in magic" out loud repeatedly.
    I can however detect invisibility (lvl3 spell invisibility purge). Area effect comes in the form of potions of explosion etc. and is admittedly limited.
    As for low CHA, we'll just use some axe-diplomacy.
    I never expect it to be easy, but it will be fun!

5. VanDeBeast Gems: 1/31

Low Charisma? I know you can get the charisma on a dwarf up to 16. (Been that wat in the rules since 1st Edition AD&D.) All you need to do is create one dwarf to act as the "face man(dwarf)". Admittidly you'll feel the burn of a 16 instead of an 18 charisma when you buy armor, but it is better than the alternatives.

6. Jerky Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You won't have a very good thief with only a DEX of 17(if highest). Your dwarves will all have a high AC, which will make them vulnerable to attacks. And a good party definately needs at least one mage.

7. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Don't listen to him! Mages are optional! :D

Seriously, that party would kick ass, especially after they were all suited up in plate armor!

Who needs area affect when you have three dwarven buzzsaws, all grand-mastering in their weapon of choice?! YOU DON'T! One of the clerics, though, I'd change to a fighter/cleric, just for the extra THAC0, and the thief I'd definately make a fighter/thief, because in IWD thieves aren't really useful enough to make them single-classed.

I say, GO FER IT DUDE!

8. Kindillin Gems: 1/31

Hey, you wont have to worry about the outrageous cost of ressurection seeing as there is no elves in your party :) I say go for it... i was thinkin it would be fun to do a party of 5 fighters and a cleric/thief.... jes blow your way through everything hehe.

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] If you have a single class Cleric you should get him high enough to cast raise dead and resurection yourself. And will all Dwarves having a great CON you will never have to worry about failing a resurection survival roll. (But I don't think that's in IWD?)

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited July 11, 2000).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.