1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help with using bards?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Madsman, Jul 7, 2000.

1. Madsman Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hey folks. I never played BG, but I am a gamer and a former MUD nerd. I am totally hooked on Icewind... but I have run into a problem. I have a 5th level Bard with several spells learned and memorized... but when I go to cast them, they're all blacked out. How do I get him to use them? It'd be nice to add some more Missiles and fire to the fray!

2. Drizzt Do'Urden Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Check what armor your bard is wearing
    i think that he can't cast any spell if he wears any armor.
    otherwise check the restrictions of the class and find out what is the best armor you can wear without losing your ability to cast spells.
    hope this helps

Adios
    Drizzt Do'Urden
    The Great Drow Ranger

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

A Bard can wear up to Chain mail but CANNOT cast in armor. My Bard carries around chain and first casts her spells and then if the battle is still going put on her armor and play a song or uses her crossbow.

4. Madsman Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thanks, folks.
    I'll try that out.

5. DailyRich Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm curious -- why was accesing your inventory during combat unpausing you taken out of ID? That was one of the more realistic touches in BG. Not that I haven't used it to my advantage in ID, don't get me wrong! It just seems like an odd change.

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31

That's a good question. The only thing I can think of is that since you are fighting so much in IWD the designers didn't want you to get blind-sided by monsters while in inventory mode. But I agree it was more realistic in BG.

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I liked the no pause while in inventory in BG too! It definitely keeps you on your toes! I figure being in battle would be pretty hectic - and you don't get time outs!

I was wondering about the Bard character...How good is it? I've never played one, and I've never really thought about it...But after reading some of the replys, I'm thinking about giving it a try...My impression is that they can do a little of everything...But nothing spectacular. What's special about the bard song? Give me the scoop!

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31

The Bard song gives the entire party bonuses to hit and saves in combat. A nice overall aid ability.

Also see my post in the "Good Party" section for more on the Bard.

9. Silksteel Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] call me a dogmatic purist, but i think the absence of the no-pause-in-inventory rule makes fighter/mages WAY too powerful.

10. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG]
    See my post about bards in the "Good party" thread. Personally, I think that even though they are a "Jack-of-all-trades" type of character, they actually are QUITE good and useful to have around.

11. gronauj Gems: 1/31

I am playing Heart of Winter. I have a 12th level Bard. How do I access her new Songs? Should there be a new Harp icon for each of should they be special abilities?

12. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If I'd have to guess, I'd say that if you right-clicked on the harp, you'd probably get to choose the songs you want. Now, back to that whole "no-pause while in inventory" thing, I prefer the rule in IWD, because if you want to argue realism, you should also argue that there's no way you could carry around a dozen halberds in your backpack. With the "pause-in-inventory" it's a little less realistic in some ways, but it's also unrealistic when you pause, command your characters to do stuff, unpause, and so on. They probably figured that if you're gonna be realistic, you have to be consistently realistic, and vice-versa.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.