1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ps:T crashing...

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Quasi Mortuus, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Quasi Mortuus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello all, I'm new to these forums as a poster, but I've visited before.

Anyways, I've managed to get my hands on Ps:T and was finally looking forward to play it during the summer, however, whenever I play, one of three things happen; 1) the game freezes and I have to restart the computer, 2) the computer restarts by itself or 3) I get a Blue Screen (this one has only happened once). I have a decent computer, using Xp, I've downloaded the v1.1 patch and the Planescape: Torment Fix Pack v1.37.

So, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar problems or had any clue as to what I could do... Any and all help would be greatly appreciated since I would really want to finally finish this game.

Quasi

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Do you have the 2-CD or 4-CD version of the game?

If your version came with only 2 CDs, it is already patched with the official patch (version 1.1), and installing it again screws up the game. (If so, you have to uninstall and reinstall...)

3. Quasi Mortuus Gems: 1/31

Unfortunately, I have the 4 cd version...

But something I've noticed, when I came to the Dead Nations and had to use CD 3, the game worked fine. So its only when I use CD 2 that the game screws up. Should I maybe try getting a no CD crack, and see if it works then?

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You could try the "full install", which requires copying your CDs on your hd manually.

5. Quasi Mortuus Gems: 1/31

I would have tried that, but I didn't actually get such an option (which I thought was very weird...)

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's not an option, you need to take a couple of extra steps to do it (alter the .ini file). At least one of the guides here has the info and I'll edit to add that link when I get to it.

Edit:

When you install, the default file paths will look something like this in the torment.ini file:

CD2:=D:bad:CD2\
    CD3:=D:bad:CD3\
    CD4:=D:bad:CD4\

(Obviously, the "D" is assuming that your CD drive is pathed that way.)

Copy the contents of the CD's into separate subdirectories in your torment directory. Edit the torment.ini file accordingly. You should wind up with something like this after you copy the CD's and change the .ini file:

CD2:=c:bad:games\black isle\torment\cd2\
    CD3:=c:bad:games\black isle\torment\cd3\
    CD4:=c:bad:games\black isle\torment\cd4\

That should be it. If you don't want to do this will all CD's, you can do it for particular ones.

[ June 30, 2006, 20:06: Message edited by: dmc ]

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  8. Quasi Mortuus Gems: 1/31

Oh, cool :) Thanks for the information, I'll have to try that tomorrow. Right now, I don't really have the energy to play more with Planescape...

Edit: So, I've done a full install now, and that works... but my problem persists. And it seems that only the Dead/Drowned Nations were free from problems because The Clerk's Ward is also crashing constantly :(

[ July 01, 2006, 13:38: Message edited by: Quasi Mortuus ]

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You DO have the original game, and not some warezed copy? Because I remember hearing about this sort of crashing years back, with warezed copies of the game...

10. Quasi Mortuus Gems: 1/31

Well, I borrowed the original from a friend, and when he wanted it back, I burned myself a copy. I've installed the burnt version because I've had to reformat my computer since (I've had the game for about 7 month, but only now have I had time to play it). So, basically, you're saying that if I install the real version, everything might be fine?

11. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The game uses no copyprotection of any kind so directlly burning the cd's should work (burned backups of mine repeatedly and use them with no problems) I belive Tal is refering to someone having shared a broken version on warez sites etc.

12. Quasi Mortuus Gems: 1/31

Oh, ok... Anyways, just bought the game on an online auction... Possibly a bit over priced, but what the hell, its a great game ^^ (Just hope to god that it actually works...)

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, something could have gone wrong with your burn process, so troubleshooting it isn't really worth it. If the same problem shows up with the original discs, however, feel free to post again (starting with your system specs).

14. Quasi Mortuus Gems: 1/31

Ok, will do. Just got my hands on the original, and I'm doing a full install, and then I'll install the 1.1 patch and the 1.37 Fix Pack. So, I'm crossing my fingers that it'll work this time around...

Wish me luck!

15. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Just a recomendation, i would have played with only the patch 1.1 first time. Fix packs usually dont crash, but i'm the kinda guy that dont like to take chances :)

16. Quasi Mortuus Gems: 1/31

Hehe, ok... But I think I only have the 1.1 patch, however, the "1.1000" which is supposed to appear in the corner when the patch is installed hasn't appeared. Also, the game crashed again even though I have the original game (also, as an aside, my saves have stopped working, meaning I have to restart the game :( )

Anyways, I'll reinstall the game one last time, and run it only with the official patch, and see how that goes. If (or more likely when) the game crashes again, I'll post my system specs and see if anyone here might be able to help solve my problems.

Thanks for your help so far, guys ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.