1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2 is dying, PST any good?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by VStyle_Gove, Feb 6, 2006.

1. VStyle_Gove Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well after finishing bg2 for the 7th time and TOB for the 2nd time (Kensai/Theif) I just realized the game has finally lost its smoke for me, i 'ALMOST' wish there was a bg3, and I don't want to get any mods as I wish to keep the game official as possible.

So it hit me, what about that old game PST, I played it to the part where I was in some old wooden mansion with 4 party members.

The game didn't seem so bad, apart from the graphical part of the game. So naturally I wondered if I should start it anew?

I always heard good things of PST and heard it was more story driven than battle orientated. I already know the basic 'learn as you go protaginist character'. So...

Being a diehard bg2 fan will I like PST? What majour differences/difficulties will I come across? + Any basic tips if i start a new game, the first dungeon seemed kinda boring...

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Should you start again? yes.

Will you like it if you loved BG2 and ToB? No, you'll love it too.

No tips, just learn as you go along. Although, I will say that consider your character creation very carefully. Stats like Wisdom and Charisma actually do affect the game you play. Much more so than in BG, your stat allocation matters here.

Just stomach the first dungeon if you're not really into it, it gets much better. Remember to talk to EVERYONE all the time.

Have fun.

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :heh: Not necessarily. PS:T is very different from BG2. It uses the same engine, and that's about how similar the two games are!

PS:T is indeed very story driven, and it's recommended that you take your time to talk to nearly every NPC you come across. One of the biggest barriers to breach in PS:T is the complete and utter confusion you feel when first stepping out on the streets of Sigil. I bought this game ages ago, and to begin with I was so confused that I simply just put the thing away after leaving the Mortuary (the first "dungeon", if you will ;) ). So *know* that you will have to be prepared for a lot of talking, and little fighting (compared, anyway). If you're into the "hack 'n' slash"-style of bg2, then PS:T may not be a game for you... I'd recommend reading some reviews (more than one preferably), and maybe see if you can borrow the game somewhere (friends, library, etc.) first before you go out and buy the game for yourself. It's much an 'either you love it or you hate it' kind of game.

4. VStyle_Gove Gems: 2/31

*BG2TOB Spoiler*

Well truth be told, by the end of BG2:TOB I got pretty sick of the hack and slack aspect of the game, I litterally hacked Mellisan to peices with whirlwind.

BG still has the best story I've ever come across in an RPG. Is PS:T indepth with its story, as much or more so than BG?

Anyway, fairly possitive feedback (even if I am in a PS:T Forum) so I may give it a shot very soon.

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No, it has an much more indepth story than Baldur's Gate! Basically you are the story; it's a quest to find out who you yourself are. If you can tune in to the atmosphere, you will find that you are much more "one" with your protagonist than any other game you've ever played...

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    If you thought BG2 has an in-depth story, wait till you try PST :)

If you don't have the game it's definitely worth buying, since even if you hate it (doubtful, but it can happen :) ) you'll not pay more than $10 for it. Finding it will be a huge problem though. On the other hand if you've got the game already, there's no reason not to start it again.

Just a few things to keep in mind, to make sure you won't get disappointed:
    1. The game has a fantastic story, but is relatively linear. In other words, you can do lots of things on the side, but don't expect to be able to wander anywhere whenever you want. Think of it as more SoA than BG, in terms of structure.
    2. There is a HUGE amount of reading to do if you really want to experience the game fully, which is I think the main reason people get turned off. If you dislike long dialogs (though they almost never are long-winded), you may not like the game.
    3. The graphincs do look dated by today's standards, but they are very well done, and even though they're not state of the art the effect they evoke is occasionally stunning.
    4. Forget ALL preconceptions about what is a good thing to do to progress through the game. Almost nothing you do will block your path through the game, and there's only about 2 or 3 ways to really "die" in the game. Play as naturally as you can, and you'll get the most enjoyment out of it.

This is perhaps the only game (or movie for that matter) where I went in with overwhelming expectations and was NOT disappointed in the slightest. The feeling I got when I completed it was unlike any other I've felt while playing a game.

Now stop listening to our blabberings and just go play the damn thing already! :)

7. VStyle_Gove Gems: 2/31

Well I went over to my friends and bought it off him for 20$, I dont think it has the expansion though? (Is there even an expansion?)

Not too bad of a game anyway! That guy drowning in the intro is the dodgiest thing I have seen since tekken 1. And the resolution is killing me btw, any fixes for that?

Well here I go, forward to the game that was so critically acclaimed, but no one bought :p .

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

no, there's no expansion.

as for patches, if you have the 2cd version of the game it's already been patched.

9. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not aware of any way to increase the resolution of PST. I'll ask around a bit, though.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There is no way, and no mod to do it.

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I personally like the low resolution in PST. It places you closer to the characters, and the avatars are significantly more detailed than in the other IE games. It can feel a bit odd if you're used to BG2 or IWD, and have been using TuTu, but you'll get used to it soon enough.

Shame on your friend for selling the game off! :p

12. VStyle_Gove Gems: 2/31

Yea I did some forum searching, I personally thought it was pretty funny that in every single thread there were a few posts with Taluntain telling everyone to STFU about the resolution lol.

Well yeah, I'm over the res, and enjoying the game very much it's gameplay that is hardly battle orientanted (from what I've seen so far)

13. Drew

Media:
    Oh, there's a way to change the resolution. Gem RB (in progress over at G3) can do it already, but isn't fully playable, yet. It also will enable porting features from one IE game over to another much more easily. When it is finished, projects like BGT, Tutu, and IWD Tutu will become almost obsolete.

14. VStyle_Gove Gems: 2/31

GemRB seems kinda complicated, ie. "You need this scripting tool this layer tool etc etc and we wont tell you where to get these or where to put them etc etc you much be a friggen programmer to simply make the resolution better on a Seven year old game..."

What happened to the "Double click this icon to run Planescape under GemRB" concept of gaming.

If I have to pull my hair out over it, I'd rather stick with my 640x480res thank you! :(

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Drew, I meant right now, which is the only thing that counts.

16. Drew

Media:
    I see your point. Telling someone, "sure it's possible.....ask me about it next year" is kind of cruel, I guess.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Indeed... you can be sure I'll be the first one plugging the option to bump the resolution once it's actually feasible.

18. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    you paid $20 for it..???

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.