1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'm too weak!

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by SlithyTove, Nov 21, 2005.

1. SlithyTove Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi

This is my first post on this forum. I really want to get into Planescape as so many 'serious gamers' think so highly of it. Trouble is, shortly after I left the Mortuary and did a trip around Ragpickers Square, I was set upon by some thugs and ended up in the Buried Village. I'm looking for a sphere for Pharod but I'm just too weak to survive for long, particularly when I meet these giant rat-like creatures. Also, I don't seem to be able to escape the Buried Village to gain a higher level. What should I do, I'll be grateful for any suggestions.

cheers

Slithy Tove

2. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Have you helped Kuiu'Yinn in the Buried Village? That nets some exp.

From the catacombs you can get back to the Buried Village by bribing or tricking the gateguard Barr. From the Village you can get back to Trash Warrens by heading towards the bell tower in the upper left corner of the map. If you get into fights there, you can always just pull a Monty Python and...RUN AWAY! If you reach the Hive-side exit, you'll be fine.

If you're in the Warrens of Thought and not just the part of the Weeping Stone Catacombs where you meet a couple of wererats, escaping is a bit trickier. But remember that dying doesn't stop you. In the prison you'll find a few corpse fly charms that are handy against cranium rats, and an enchanted mace to fight the wererats if you don't have an enchanted weapon already.

3. SlithyTove Gems: 1/31

Thank you for that prompt response, much appreciated. I can get back to the Buried Village without much problem, but I've been round and round it and for the life of me I can't seem to find an exit, is it hidden away?

4. Susipaisti

Not hidden, no. Go for the upper left corner of he map and you'll likely see a crowd of people coming out of a bell tower. The exit is there.

5. SlithyTove Gems: 1/31

Many thanks for that, be on my way tonight, that's a relief, phew!
    What level should I be before I return for Pharod's quest and other stuff down there?

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Not very high; just the basic missions and you're ready. If you really want, you can also easily skip the battles by simply running past the monsters.

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think lvl5 is about right, you can probably survive with a smaller level but that's what I'd recommend. Also I'd suggest you have two companions with you when you head to the trash warrens. I would also recommend choosing what class you want to be before that (mage/thief/figheter) and get the appropriate training.

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    If you do all the little side quests in the Hive before going to the Trash Warrens, you should easily be a level 6 fighter or mage. Besides, both you and Morte should have magical weapons, which you'll need to fight the wererats, and you should have found an extra companion as well.

9. SlithyTove Gems: 1/31

Thanks for all the replies. Mind you, I found that even with the 'run away' technique (this is before I ended up in the Buried Village) thugs were pursuing me and even if I ran and escaped to another area they were waiting for me if I returned to their area again.

10. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just a question, I'm about at the same place, as a level six fighter. I haven't encountered any chances to change to thief or mage yet. How would I do that?

11. Susipaisti

Talk to Old Mebbeth and ask if she's a witch for mage training. Talk to Ratbone in front of Sharegrave's kip for thief training.

12. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Okay, thanks.

13. Allanius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Morgoroth wrote: Also I'd suggest you have two companions with you when you head to the trash warrens.

You can only have 2 companions at this point (unless you cheated of course).

14. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Pro tips:

Mebbeth will heal you to full and let you rest for free.

You DON'T have to gather your party before venturing forth.

Merchants that sell healing charms can often have their pockets picked by skilled thieves.

Skilled thieves can also steal trinkets from every single hive dweller. The amount of money acquired by selling off a huge number of trinkets should be more than enough to buy a stat-enhancing tattoo or two.

Morte's taunt ability can provoke enemies to turn hostile without any alignment penalty. (which can come in handy if you still want lots of trinkets, but don't have a thief in your party and don't want one yet).

Black abishai can only be hit by magical or green steel weapons.

Morte is very hard to hit (at least early on in the game).

Black abishai are worth 7,000 XP apiece when killed.

Black abishai spawn in each of the 4 quadrants of the Hive, and respawn after you leave and come back.

Most 1st-level spells aren't strong enough to bail you out of big fights at the beginning of the game. Tanking and some good backstabs will carry the day.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.