1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

attempting to win without magic

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by carpman, Nov 19, 2003.

1. carpman Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] After soloing twice once with fighter/mage/thief and once with pure mage, through bg1 and bg2 I thought could it be done without magic or how far could one get. Some things I have used so far are a fighter\thief the dagger of venom is not magic it's poison as are the arrows of biting and the acid arrows. Your special abilities are not magic just good common knowledge. The tomes and manuals are also I feel not magic. If anyone is interested or has thoughts or I am just to cheap to buy a new game to challenge myself lets hear it.So far Iam solo F\T just going to the big city of Baldurs Gate for the fist time. Oh also Ankeg plate mail is not magic.

2. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

How are you planning to hit enemies who can only be hit by magic weapons if you're not using magic?

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Are potions magic? If you can't use potions, good luck healing yourself in the middle of a battle. Heck, why not just go through BG2 with a solo wizard slayer - you'll effectively be doing the same thing as you are now.

4. carpman Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Yes of course potions are magic and if I need healing in the middle of a battle then I shoundn"t be in this battle or find a better way. I haven't yet meet a foe that requires a magic weapon to hit in this game so far. Does anyone know the first baddie to come up that you need to kill with a magic weapon for the game to continue? I have a feeling I'll get through BG1 the Ducal palace could be tough with all those doppelgangers (sp)I did solo with a mage through BG1&BG2 so a wild mage dosen't peek my interest, yawn!

5. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think the doomslayers, and some ooze can be hurt only with magical weapon, but to complete the game, it's not neccessary to fight them.

Disarm the traps at the Mines in the cloakwood forest....

6. carpman Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Sorry Aldeth I meant to say wizard slayer instead of wild mage, plus I want to play BG1 more than BG2. Interesting I killed davereon by letting him see me he then dimension doors, so I hide in shadows and proceed to loot his entire crib. His protection wears out but not his mirror image? I end up just for fun beating him with my fists then sliced his unconcious body neat o!

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

BG2 is harder, but BG1 is easy to beat without magic. As a solo, it's even easier. You've got enough money to heal yourself whenever you want - or are you not doing that? If not, then you better be a Dwarf with 19 CON, then get the Tome so you can have Regeneration.

8. carpman Gems: 1/31

Mystra you say its easy but have you done it. Of course buying healing is magic, As I said in the first place only your special abilities although magical I feel are techniques one developes with experience.My fighter thief is half elf so far Iam 8/7 One thing I have been doing is sleeping before I travel and again when I arrive if I need the healing or am fatigued.(ps) If you have done it Mystra give details please about your solo character and thier level when you whopped Saravoeks ass!

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

I soloed a ranger through BG1 and I didn't use any potions or any magic because they only heal 8HP and I'd need 10 of em to heal me.

Sarevok is hard. Just keep hiding and backstabbing... hiding and backstabbing until he's dead. Draw upon holy might helps alot. Boots of speed would be helpful, but you can't use them, so nevermind.

With a fighter/thief that battle will be easy. You'll be able to get him in your second backstab.

[ November 21, 2003, 01:15: Message edited by: Mystra's Chosen ]

10. carpman Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] So Mystra you have done it! I thought my idea was so original that players would be reinstalling to meet the challenge. What was your toughest challenge and did you start out not to use magic or did it seem to easy with all the goodies strapped on? What nonmagical weapon did you use and I assume you put stdleather on your Ranger? Also no cheats were used right? And hopefully not a ton of cheesie reloads!

11. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

I used Full Plate because Studded Leather is way too light.

The hardest thing is Sarevok's Coronation. It really comes down to luck.

No cheats, but I did use magic weapons. Sorry.

12. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Carpman, BG1 was released in 98 IIRC. I dont think there is much that haven´t been done. Maybe finish the game without any equipment or magic at all... that could proove difficult. I think my first run without magic was about 4 years ago.

One hot tip for you. Always keep some extra weapons in your inventory. Regular weapons tend to break...

13. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've never done so myself.
    Isn't using your special abilities more magic than gulping potions? Ain't they spells?
    Are +1 armors really magic, aren't they really well done instead?

14. dshadow Gems: 8/31

+1 armour is considered magical because the +1 is a magical enchantment.

15. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Tomes and Manuals are magic. If they weren't magic, they wouldn't disappear after you used them, and they wouldn't give you instant benefits (you'd have to practice for a while to get another point). Doesn't the description even state that they are magic?

Your abilities are definitely magic, too, not knowledge. They work instantly. No common knowledge can instantly cure you of poison in the middle of a fight, or instantly cure hit points, or give you superhuman strength.

16. carpman Gems: 1/31

OK! Now we"ve got some real topics to deal with. First Duke are you sure you didn"t use any magic, even Mystra was man enough to admit he used a magic weapon, which isn't so bad as long as that was it. The way I see it is even Sarevok has only one magic item and He is the hardest baddie in the Gate no? Iam really only talking about soloing so the tips from you group users are good but its apples and oranges. I remember Larze now and realize why I instantly forgot Him (boring). The Tomes sure do act magical and if they didn't disappear I feel they would be abused by other party members. Can we say that they are so old that they turn to dust after there last use. The abilities one receives are "GOD" given not magic, you gain them through experience if you put pressure on a wound you bleed less if you slow your movement and your heart rate the poison takes longer to affect you thus becoming less potent. Simply first aid that has been learned can save one from death or at least get you back home in one piece.

17. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

As I said, it was a long time ago I did it and I dont exactly remember what items I used. But I´m sure I read the tomes. Nowadays when I solo I use magic items. But if it would make you feel better I could do it without any magic and send you some savegames :)

18. carpman Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thats great Duke. I know how it is playing so long ago you forget the details no need for the saved games but one question what prompted you to go no magic? Where you ever tempted? I found the game more of an adventure because your not just killing for the prizes, Money has no real value after your first 1000 gp"s and you don't have to get involved in every petty quest that the Coast has to offer!

19. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31

Look, a ranger's or rogue's stealth ability is a special ability that simply approximates skills that can be acquired in real life. But your Bhaalspawn powers, clerical and magical spells, magic items, potions, etc. -- things that don't exist in real life -- are all magical in nature. Anything else is just a cheesy rationalization, IMHO. ;)

20. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Carpman. I hear you. When I play my regular parties I go around and kill everyone I know have anything magic or steal from those that gives a to bad rep hit for killing. But if you dont use magic I think you roleplay more. Actually think about what you do. I mean, whan normal guy would walk up to second floor go right and pickpocket that fat man first thing when he walks in a Inn?

Hehe... I´m getting itchy here, time to start a game. I´ll fill you in on my progress.

[EDIT] Missed your question.
    When this game was new all I did was to play it. All day - Every day.
    Didn´t take me long til my first solo and after some solos I found it to be to easy so instead of going on the hardest diff lv I thought I´d go without magic.
    Although, half the thing with BG is all the cool equipment...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.