1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Planescape Dale? Planescape Gate?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Philonious, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Philonious Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Seeing as there are multiple conversions of one ie game to a second ie engine, how come no one has made a conversion/major overhaul of ps:t? It is by far the best of the crop and would aguably benefit from an update to the IWDII engine.

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Westley Weimer has had to shelve Icewind Gate for some time now because he's knee-deep in his PhD work. It will be something if he even starts your proposal anytime soon.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Torment is fundamentally different from all other games using the Infinity Engine. It'd probably be pretty much impossible.

4. Philonious Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Thanks for the replies, this section of the boards seems fundamentally dead so I didn't think that I would hear much.

The other downside is that free multiclassing pretty removes anything special about the NMO, but better resolutions would be nice, although it is a very pretty game, it is starting to show it's age. Also if it were possible, it would be another incentive to play through this uber-cool game.

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

This has been proposed at FWP before. The idea was fundamentally rejected because: (1) We'd have to mess with the best IE game which is already perfect as is; (2) WoTC could bring forth copyright issues.

As Taluntain said, the stuff in PST is in a slightly different format than that in BG2 or IWD, but it is possible to convert between the two.

6. Varied Sundries Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The resolution issue is another dear to my heart.

Think of the character makeup. You can't decide on who can wield what type of weapons, for the most part, and only two characters have basic ranged attacks. Everyone else is basically a melee build.

Even though you have some mages, which fudge it up a little, the resolution works much better at the 800x600 level. It forces you to take a closer look and a slower pace. Besides, it's not like combat in this game is hard at all. A higher resolution would degrade the visual beauty of this game, particularly the character animations, while adding nothing. Don't be a resolution whore.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If someone were only to make it playable in higher resolutions, I very much doubt WoTC would care. I've never had any problems with the game's resolution, but newbies keep complaining about it. Making them happy would be a worthwhile achievement, and I'm sure pretty much everyone else would want to check out how the game looks in higher resolutions as well.

8. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Well if only someone could convert the Caracters to a Baldursgate 2 format I would be a very happy men :) (could you inmagin Annah walking in the graveyard district of amn? That would be so cool!).

But I must say I realy like the game and the resolution it comes with :) .

9. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Sadly, she likely hasn't all needed animations, which could crash the game, and she would be about 1,5* the height of other people.

10. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Yeah One time I coppied all the Annah files to my BG2 overide folder and the game crashed when I tried to sumon her :(

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

It's doable, but you'd need to convert her files into BG2 format. PST uses different headers for their files.

You'd need to edit her animations a bit, too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.