1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Indifferent ending?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Memosarks, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Memosarks Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi,

I was searching Napster for some Torment music.
    I was surprised to find three files : Ending:Good, Ending:Bad and Ending:Indifferent.

Now, I assume the good ending is the finally-dying-now-in-purgatory scenario, and the bad ending is the losing-all-links-to-mortality-and-getting-killed-by-transcendant-one scenario, but I wasn't sure what the indifferent ending was, If anyone has any information about that it would much appreciated.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, all the endings result in the same thing, that is Nameless One being sent to the Blood War to fight for eternity. But there are various ways how to end the game:

If you snagged the Blade of the Immortal from Coaxmetal way back in the lower ward, you can discuss it here after talking to the transcendent one about the link between the
    two of you. Threaten to destroy yourself with the blade, and the transcendent one will merge with you, and the game will be complete. This ending provides a unique bonus, as The Nameless One resurrects all your slain party members for one final word.

If you're a decent fighter and possess plenty of healing items, you may choose simply to go toe-to-toe with the beast. He isn't too tough, and if you've got a good weapon and high strength, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

There are several other ways to take out the transcendent one. Most include dialogue sequences that require high statistics in charisma and wisdom. If you regained the bronze sphere and used it after absorbing the good incarnation, you can tell the transcendent one your name (after asking him
    for it in dialogue) for another way.

Defeating the transcendent one in battle alone, however, doesn't offer the same ending
    results. If you need assistance during battle - for instance, if you're a mage or thief or have weak weapons or strength - you can attempt to raise your dead comrades to fight with you. You must heal them up as well, so make sure you possess plenty of healing charms. Again, there are several
    ways to talk to the transcendent one, both in combat and through conversation, so you may want to test out different strategies to view alternate endings.

3. Myrthos Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

There is one other possible ending ofcourse. You can kill yourself with the blade from Coaxmetal (or get yousrself kiled). This will not lead you to the Blood War, but there is a nice animation and even some different music.
    You should atleast have tried it once.

4. Memosarks Gems: 1/31

Well, what I've got so far is the "Winning the Game" animation where I die and go fight the blood war, the "Losing the Game" animation and music where I'm kneeling there seeing the ghost and have the blade of torment smash up. But as I understand it there is one more animation and music for when you don't quite lose the game, but you don't win it either but the game ends - hence, the 'Indifferent' music napster gave me.

I read somewhere ages ago that you could get this by becoming the next silent king and one other that I've forgotten, but I'm not going to go through the game again at this point just to see that "I've been through the game about 6 times - time to let it rest for a while"

So has anyone seen this ending? If so, could they describe it?

Thanks

5. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I tried all I could and so far there is 2 options:

1. Kill the trandescent one. You will see him get killed.
    2. Kill yourself with the blade of the immortal or "unmake" him. You will see yourself merge with him. Thats about it.

6. Ferret Gems: 1/31

I suspect the answer to your question, is that the good ending was left out of the final version, but the music was not.

There are several cases of things like that in the games code.

First there are two musics that at no time appear in the game, no matter how I played it.

Second, there are six blades for Dak'kon that he can never get, possible just due to programmer error. I believe your interactions with him and other Githzeri while he is with you, being mean, nice, or indifferent, and doing the circle of Zerthamon, were supposed to change the blade type and the blade name. Indifferent (depressed) is the blade you have for the entire game, mean is a much more powerful blade that describes Dak'kon as being totally tortured and full of discord. Nice is a semi-weaker blade that describes Dak'kon as being at peace with himself and makes his blade slightly weaker but grants him new spell slots/abilities. These blade types exist for all level-variations, meaning it should be achivable at starting level. I also suspect that the nice blade is supposed to be gotten when Dak'kon get's his stat bonus' from compleating the Circle of Zerthamon, or after during some other conversation. His becoming at peace with himself after finishing the Circle specificly says his blade changes when it doesn't. The mean blade is probably supposed to be his weapon when he has that hollow abused broken kill-me-now look when you talk to him.

It's also possible that all of these are alive in the game, even the good ending, but must be done in one specific order to take place. There are a few little bugs in the game where conversations with one person can make something totally unrealated vanish from another (great example is getting your bug turned into stone, if you ask about it at the wrong time, you can never ask her once the FFG quest is mostly finished, if she will actually do it for you. Took me four times dealing with that house before I found out how to avoid the bug.)

Ferret.

7. herf Guest

[​IMG] actually, black isle were discussing the fact of whether to put in reputation or not, like in baldurs gate, and they were still discussing it when the game was near completion and the guys who made the weapons and shit didnt have a clue what was going on so they just made some new weapons for dak'kon depending on reputation, the weapons are available through trainers and hacks but can never be gotten without cheating. the different blades were from different reputations.

herf
    (arent i just a fountain of knowledge about planescape torment?)

8. Ferret Gems: 1/31

Do you know anything about the music tracks that made it in the game with no apparent sequence to go with them?

Ferret.

9. herf Guest

nope, damn!

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ending (stopping) the game before actual finish can be set those ways:

1. After you've been mazed start pestering Pain Lady's doll (40-50 times) while in Sigil so she killes you when you try to leave area (it has real animation!).

2. Become new Silent King.

3. Look Marissa in Brothel - she's Medussa.

4. Use Immortal Blade in Shadows Tower.

11. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] How do you become the new silent king?

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

First you have to try to talk Stale Mary. Then talk to Hargrimm about understanding her. Return, and Stale Mary will teach you Stories-Bones-Tell ability.
    Now, pump up your charisma (one or two Friends spell) and then ask Stale Mary can you visit Silent King. She'll tell you how (portal).
    So go there, meet Stale Mary and Hargrimm and within the chat you can propose that you'll be next Silent King. They will accept.

And, one my mistake, I completely forgot to say that killing people before they tell you important info also stops the game, i.e. if you kill Trias before he mentions Fort of Regrets.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.