1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Strange how things turn out

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Sylvus Moonbow, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Finished Spellhold and I honestly have no urge to want to load up BG2 again. I played it for a good while, had a break and went back to it again but is definatly doesn't interest me anymore.

It's strange too because the game had so much potential when I first installed it and went on my first adventure. Now, it's an adventure I could care less about finishing. A good plot and story but the filling between is so bothersome that it becomes annoying.

Riddles in Spellhold didn't seem like riddles. It felt more like they had lost their creative nature and were using these riddles to slow the pace down. To add to the over all playing hours of BG2. Heading on your way only to be forced to do something you don't want to do. Who cares about some potion that some guy needs, yet they make it an issue because if you don't get the potion, you don't get the key you need and if you don't have the key, you can't continue with your journey. So off you go to get the potion, yet run into someone who can't give you the potion because they need the rubber cork to keep it closed. So off you go to get the rubber cork yet run into a guardian who you can't pass because you need the boots of guardian protection. So off you go to get the boots of guardian protection only to find out that the laces are missing and you can't use the boots yet. So off you go to get the laces only to find out that one of them is missing. So now you only have 1 boot laced up and still need to find the other lace. Well, on your journey you find someone who can help you get the lace you need but they need to make it. Thing is they are missing the wooden spoon needed to turn the water in the cauldron and of course *yawning by now* you're off to find the wooden spoon. Thing is that none can be found and the only way to get one is to cut down a tree. Problem with that is the local ranger doesn't want you to do that but if you help him find the golden seed he needs to plant the golden tree, he'll let you cut down a tree. So now you're off to find some stupid seed for the ranger but come across a group of ghosts who have the seed but won't give it to you because they need to be put to rest. To do so, you have to find the shovel so you can put the dirt over their bodies but no one has a shovel. Seems like Robert the smith can make one but damn oh damn, he doesn't have any metal! Now you have to get the metal but it was stolen just the other day! Oh what annoying luck! So now you're off looking for the metal for Robert, as if no other metal can do the job. It has to be the special put the dirt over the dead bodies metal to make the shovel. So you're off to find the metal from the caravan but learn it was stolen by a pack of Orcs so now you're in a lame ass dungeon killing Orcs and run across a prisoner who knows where the metal went but she needs help saving her father!

AAAAAAAARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg!

Over done, I know but it's how I feel about BG2. I can't even finish this game I'm so sick of all the stupid quests and forced routines of needing something only to have to find something else to find something else.

It's like a body with no soul and it's left me feeling empty.

Syl...

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] That's too bad really, but I liked your analogy above :)

Do you think had you played the game through before attempting to write a walkthrough for it, things might have been different?

Or do you think you'd feel the same even though the game was less of a chore for you?

3. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yeah I really hate those kind of quest's.
    But at least it's better than those forest
    regions of BG1 and the endless Diablo dungeon. Yawn.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] BUZZKILL! :(

But pretty accurate. It's like that M*A*S*H* episode where Hawkeye tries to get those new boots. There is a whole lot of shopping list adventures.

I really liked the beginning. D'Arnise Hold, Umar Hills, Firkraag's dungeon...They were actual adventures with people to save, purpose, etc...But later on, it's all about being a go'fer.

5. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

And I thought I was the only one who is getting sick of continious dungeon crawls......

6. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Maybe you just need to play something else for awhile.

I for one enjoyed my initial romp through the BG2 world. I did it fairly quickly, and missed a few side quests in the process.

I'm playing through a second time, and I'm trying to do everything, and I'm getting bored. I'm going to leave it for awhile (playing Age of Empires II right now) and then I think I'll go back to it.

As far as BG2 is concerned, it is the best CGRP that I've played, but as the saying goes: "Too much of a good thing..."

7. JohnnyV Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

well I'm playing my second time through so obviously I like the game, but I don't like it as much as Planescape:Torment. Although come to think of it that game was really a game of you need to get this to get that. But it really had atmosphere. Anyway back to BG2, yes brynlaw and spellhold were annoying, but I liked chap. 2 and I liked the underdark. The npc interactions are really great. What crpg is not a series of errands? This is a lot better than the Might and Magic series (although I like that series).

8. Cuckoo Gems: 3/31

I just got Planescape:Torment the other day, but I want to finish run #3 through BG2 first...the only way that the errand boy quests haven't ruined the fun for me is to play it for the different choices and character interactions.

*CHEATING AND SPOILER ALERT*

By removing the XP cap and conservative use of Shadowkeeper, accepting every quest for the sake of gaining levels is no longer my concern; I've kept importing my PC from the endgame of BG2 back to the beginning for the 2nd and 3rd time. when I played through before, it was *sigh* "yes I'll go find the Acorns of Squirrel Satisfaction, as long as you promise to give me the Gloves of Warm Hands," and so forth, but without the XP being a motivating factor, I really feel like I can roleplay the different alignments better; I can truly be chaotic evil now. I told Hendek to rot in prison, I told Jaheira to take a hike, I built up the Nymphs' hopes in chapter 1-and then I killed them. I sided with the vampires, got to betray Garren to Firkagg and then go back and kill the S.O.B., taunted Mazzy with the hope of release from the Shadow Lord's prison, then tolds her that she's not going anywhere (Korgan went ahead and killed her just to make sure she was so self-righteous), I gave the kids in Immesville some ale, and when I found them laid up drunk in a cave, I decided to kill them to keep them quiet about the deal. I keep Minsc around to torment him by making him take part in evil acts sometimes. I had enough of Valgyr's bitching and moaning about magic, so I killed him-with magic, of course. I tell beggars to get the hell away, I killed all of the animals in the circus at the Promenade, and then I made it a point to kill cats, dogs, cows and horses-just for fun. I think I'll go back and grab Aerie, torment her for a while...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Syl, I know how you feel. LOL.
    But I wasn't going to admit it.
    After all this time I've been spending on these games I'm frankly getting tired of them too. It was fun and all, but I need some change. I practically haven't seriously played anything else than Bioware/Black Isle games since 1998. And that's a loong time.
    Well after I finish BG2 I'll take some time off from CRPGs.

I have a bunch of other games I never had the chance to try out lined on the table here, gathering dust for months.

P.S.

Do yourself a favor and buy Heart of Winter when it comes out. It's such a relaxing game after all of the quests from BG2. Just sit back, beef your party and hack & slash. I enjoyed the beta immensely.

10. Lukki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I'm a bit bored in chapter 4. Too much annoying quests that I HAVE TO do. I want to steal/rape/fight and gain experience by thievery and murders. I want to be in Athkatla and do quests there. :)

About Planescape: Torment...
    I hated Planescape: Torment. I have it and I played it. I took 17 intelligence at start and thought I was going to be a mage. Then I found myself in a stupid town with lots of stupid "talk quests" but when I move in town I get attacked by thugs. I die to the thugs because of my low constitution. Load game because it goes back to the mortuary. Then I read some forums and reviews.

One review:
    "You can change class whenever you want"
    That was a lie. No dual-class button anywhere.
    (guess I need a mage to train me?)

Forum:
    "this game has no armors or swords"
    I was pissed off about that.

I was even more pissed off about the thing that I was a zombie that look horrible and I couldnt get a shirt. ยค%/#!!! Torment sucks.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Bleh.
    You play it for an hour and think that it sucks...
    You can't judge a game in so little time. Torment really gets much better once you're out of the Mortuary and start actually doing stuff around Sigil.
    But if you don't bother to come that far... Well...

12. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I've asked people why they didn't like Torment, and invariably they say something like: "Too much talking".

I could start ranting and raving, but I'm short on time already so I'll leave it at that.

13. Myrthos Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Hmmm, yes too much talking. Have to be able to read ofcourse and understand what they say and have to think and all that stuff.
    Yeah, I can imagine how people might not like that.

I just loved the game, best one ever made :).

14. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I enjoyed Planescape tremendously as well. The Nameless One, Dakkon, Falls-From-Grace, Morte and even little Anna. Unforgetable characters. As for BG2, the only character that would remain in my memory and whom I'll still be quoting years from now would be Minsc. Sorry, folks, the other NPCs were well done, but none as close to those in Planescape. Oh yeah, not forgetting Grub. I really wish he'll be an NPC in an expansion pack. To Syl, try playing an awful game like Wizards and Warriors for a few weeks then go back to BG2. You'll appreciate it much better.

15. JohnnyV Gems: 3/31

Yes the characters in Planescape:Torment were really unforgetable. It was the best game ever. I liked that it was not a hack and slash game.

16. Lukki Gems: 5/31

Veteran

[​IMG] How do you change your class in Torment?
    How do you change your outlook?

17. Myrthos Gems: 2/31

Talk to a thief, you can become a thief. Talk to a mage, you can become a mage. Talk to a fighter, you can become a fighter.
    Want to dress up? kill a dustman and take his robe.

See, easy...

[This message has been edited by Myrthos (edited January 09, 2001).]

18. Myrthos Gems: 2/31

Lol, he moved it. Tal you're a purist.

19. Lukki Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I can't use the dustman robes outside the mortuary...

20. Taluntain

Media:
    I'd never dream of moving it. If anything, it should've started in Whatnots and I'd move it there.
    But since it was Syl's post, I left it.
    He moved it here actually. Surprised me as well...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.