1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate Reloaded

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Laclongquan, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Finally start this module which give you BG1 in NWN2 engine.

From what's said, it seem max level is around 10 (if use a lot of grind), meaning a low level approach.

I am getting a human female Paladin, first time in a good looooong while.

We shall see what we shall see.

EDIT: hardest difficulty of course. Let's see how hard this module is.

EDIT: A word before you mess with Imoen. You are going to need a competent Rogue for disable traps duty. Lots of way to search for traps, discover hidden hostiles, but only Rogue can disable traps. Main campaign follow original BG design, so the traps are not too dangerous (up to Cloakwood Mines). But the TOSC, specifically the Durlag Tower, can be a challenge. I have encountered a pretty difficult trap in basement, and I leave it, because I dont like to save/reload to mess with it, and further in may be more of the same. So a pure rogue may be called for. Either you let Imoen be your pure Rogue and very heavy duty she will be, or dual her to Wiz as per BG policy. In the latter case, better think about another trap disabler, because the traps are deadly.

EDIT: Also, no Potion of Thief Mastery. There's less chance to boost the Disable Device skill, the most crucial Rogueish skill. Only way is potion and spell of Cat Grace, which only add +2.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Post some screenshots, I'm curious what it looks like.

3. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  4. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Why the heck do my (go advanced) post get a notice that it will must pass mod approved queue but my quick reply as well as thread creation go without trouble?

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I imagine they all need approval, you just don't get a notice. Don't worry about it, it's just spam protection.

I gotta say though, personally, I've never really liked the Aurora or Electron engines, so all these NwN1/2 modules hold very little interest for me. It's all rather visually unappealing compared to the isometric environments, plus the D&D system implementation has always annoyed me in both engines.

6. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

No, I mean if I use quick reply, I dont get that message and my quick reply go through

However, if I Go Advanced to make a post, it go to the queue.

If I edit the post the short way, also no prob.

If I edit the post the Advanced way, to the queue it goes.

---------- Added 0 hours, 12 minutes and 31 seconds later... ----------

Meet Edwin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It depends on what you have included in your post like links and pictures until you have a certain number of posts under your belt.

8. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Back to topic.

Due to art assets, Candle Keep, wilderness, and Friendly Arm seem more friendly and light than the original game. You know back it the day it feel pretty dark and depressed in that game? Well, with NWN2 engine it feel lighter. I expect this will maintain through out the whole game.

Bonus point, the BGR assets include a lot of other assets from other modders, so I could mod in a few sexy outfit. It cheer the eyes immensely.

9. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    None of those places feel particularly depressing in BG, except maybe when it's raining. Rain is surprisingly atmospheric in IE....

10. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Silke waxed my 1st level 6-man party so hard I ignore Garrick for now.

---------- Added 20 hours, 14 minutes and 46 seconds later... ----------

Six mem, and I look at the Three Flaming Fist south of Beregost with trembling knees. One guy kicked our asses during Viconia event, so three might just eat us for breakfast.

Though, we can pull a dialog move on them to get them to leave (unlike original?) I am of two mind about it. The last guy cost me 5 Good points, so we might have to choose peaceful method. And it's not like we can take three of them.

Decision, decision.

---------- Added 3 hours, 39 minutes and 45 seconds later... ----------

They havent implement all the small sidequests so the chance for easy xp is not high. Due to (almost) all the quest in Candlekeep is implemented (no martial training quests), the last fight with hobgoblin at south of Beregost got my MC paladin to level 2. No quest completed at FAI or beregost yet.
    2Dire Wolf +2Vampiric Wolf in Temple Beregost map? 8-9 Hobgoblin east side? Damn right we go around. The average party level is approaching 2, not there yet.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  11. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Only parts of the wilderness seemed depressing to me in the original, and that was in part because of the carnage scene with the PC's dead father. The crossroads wasn't depressing, and neither Candlekeep nor the FAI were depressing. Somewhat scary for a couple of 1st level characters afraid of things like bears and wolves, but not depressing.
    I find her difficult even with 2nd level characters unless I use cheap tricks to avoid her spells. Not impossible, just one of the more challenging encounters. I'm talking about the original 5-CD BG1, not this version. It sounds like they did this right.

I THINK you could have used Sleep or color spray on the guy in the Viconia event. I think he was level 4, so it was a "save or die" spell. Three of them is another matter, since sleep only affects one 4 hit die character.

Either avoid them until you are at least level 5 or use a peaceful method. If your PC is a paladin, you shouldn't be killing Flaming Fists like that, it should be an instant fall.

The lack of side quests is not good, they were important bits of XP, and I imagine with the NWN2 engine it is even more important.

As for the temple map, I always avoided that until at least after the Nashkel mines. I generally only had one or if I was lucky two magic weapons the first time passing through Bergost, and you needed a +1 or better to fight the vampiric wolves.
    Heck, I'd just head right for the temple to get the quest for the bezerking sword, then leave the map, and not come back until I'd explored the other areas of the wilderness nearby and gained a few levels and magic weapons.
    You REALLY need to gear up for this area with magic equipment more than leveling up. Just run for the temple, then get off the map ASAP.
    (Again, this is 5-CD original game, not the new implimentation).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  12. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Not enough sidequests. Candlekeep is the best done area out of three towns, and it still lacks the martial training quests. FAI? Naaah. And no Ring of Wizardry either. Beregost? Only Mirianne quest as far as I can see. Kagain's quest doesnt seem implemented.

As for how bad it is: Clean up the east of Candlekeep, then FAI (but not spider quest), then onward to Beregost and my paladin still hasnt hit the 1000xp threshold. Granted, it's 6-man, but still~ Look at Viconia's 6000 xp threshold and I know this black chick is going to stay level 1 for a while.

Clean up the hobgoblins in south beregost and get Imoen, Kagain, Khalid to level 2.

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Kagain's quest was screwy in the original BG1, so that one I can't blame them for. The weapons training provided by Obe provided no experience or items unless you used an exploit. I recall that there was a trick to stealing some of the items the other "simulated" party members had from them, especially the wand (which was great for facing the ogre.)

14. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Yeah~ Kagain after telling me to forget the checking, now leave me. well, just in time for Branwen, so no great loss.
    ---
    Dwarfie is back at his office. But. he's buggy. If talk, he repeat the quittan speech and go to the door.
    His office would have made for a nice central base to store all my shits, but the Beregost loading areas are 50+, making me a bit leery of visit here often.
    But we might have to. The damn thing is best place and nicely central~

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  15. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

After finish Nashkel Mine, Viconia left me. Time to pick up Minsc!

That Ro1/Wx build of Imoen can be quite troublesome, as she lagged behind in CL of wizard. If redo i might have to keep Rogue all the way. Find wizard power elsewhere.

EDIT: definitely pure casters all the way. This campaign is limited in total XP . Grind like hell and maybe you will get to level 10th. So 5th level spells are as far as your casters can go. Dilute them with other classes is bad idea. Ditto with ECL, though they might get away with it somehow.

multi-class builds only work with warriors, if that.

EDIT2: Rescue Dynaheir, but must choose firing one (Imoen, Ja/Kha, Branwen). They serve essential role in the party, and in the end it come down to Khalid is better than Minsc. IF Minsc can multiclass into Fighters, then the heavier armor would help him survive during rage, like Khalid survive on frontline. Since we can not multi Minsc... off to the bush go you and Dynaheir. Also, she's not that useful, that sorceress, her spell selection is not as versatile as Jaheira. Pity about Minsc voice, but such is the cold calculation of combat.

Kick Minsc out, we pick up Kivan which is a better alternative. That Ranger can put more arrows into the air than the whole party combined, counting the arrows in his quiver. pity about his manly and tragic face, but in a harem party there must be one guy, as Khalid got served the Feminity Belt long ago. I would make a joke on his ability to shoot many times, each time on target, but it would just be a cheap shot. Oops~

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  16. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Starting with v1.0 so there's a lot of bug.

Patch to 1.2 midway.

Then reinstall 1.4. It's said to fix a lot of bug.

Notably, the Vampiric Wolves in Beregost Temple are removed.Lucky I already clean up there before reinstall.

IT's a major battle, with 3 entangle , 2 web, and one Necklace of Missile for a fully buffed party.

The acid arrows, lightning bolts, and bullet+1 help greatly, cause those wolves are immune to normal damage. Also Kivan.

Enlarge Person on Khalid for better Knockdown.
    Bull Strength on my Paladin for better combat.
    And a lot of lvl2 buff spells in wizard, cleric, and druid magical arsenal.

Second better battle would be Iron Throne assassins in Valley of Tomb.

17. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I personally like the Module a great deal and I was having fun getting to see the famous places from a different perspective.
    True what was said above, the NWN1/NWN2 engine never had the charm or the sheer beauty of original. Not to mention the wonky Rules implementation.

But it is still a great adventure and all the Kudos to the Team for making this Module happen.
    And since the Icewind Dale remake was also released some time back it makes two of my favorites replays in NW2.

18. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

IWD NWN2 is my next.

Currently wasting around the bandit camp. Divide to Conquer by manually attack one gang first, either the human bandits or the orcs. The other gang will ignore this fracas. Clean them all up then move in to the Tazok's tent. Doing the tent first will aggro the whole camp and you could get swarmed that way.

That fireball trap is nasty~

Exploring Cloakwood Lodge. This time I wont spare Aldeth, but the moment Seniyad turn his back, I smash Ashideena on his head. Irritating nobleman is irritating, but treehuggers need some approriate treatment also.

----
    Clean up the mines. Selling equipments are rather profitable,much better than fighting wild life~

Flood the mine and can get to Baldur's Gate...

203 mini area loaded~ It's like SOZ overland loading... dejavu all over again. I get the Ulgoth Beard location and get the hell out of Dodge. Will take care of BG city once I have more time to waste on loading. Now to clean up small area.

Note to self: BG city require walkthrough to note all the notable quests to do it at minimum time, minimum reload. It's kinda like Ironman mode. I hate ironman.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  19. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Encounter nasty traps in Durlag Tower. Currently suspending tower delving to raise level before return, or somehow find a better thief. Disable Trap is something no one can do for Rogue.

Explore Ulcaster Ruin. Discover a bug/exploit: The book to satisfy Ulcaster is history of sisters light and darkness, somehow are multiple in the game. He take all copy on hand for 500 xp. Delving the ruin below for another copy = 500 xp. So one person could do the drop all but one copy and talk to Ulcaster to get 500xp each time. Tedious, but necessary since level 7 party find little worth fighting in the wilderness of the coast.

Firewine Ruins dont have commando anymore. The normal hostiles are just one xp each. Ogre Mage and the evil mage is some exception but not much.

I am convinced that this mod could use another round of fixing, this time concentrated on adding to dungeons with one or two spot of level-scaled respawning. Because otherwise a fully equipped party at level 7 can stomp most into ground.

------
    Note:
    To keep one half of a pair, like Minsc, or Xar, we can do the Basilisk/stoned trick

Get to the Mutamin Garden map. Send the one you want to rid of, like Khalid, toward the basilisk around. Bang! A new statue appear. The icon vanish from our party and we can get another NPC.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  20. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Revisit Durlag Tower Basement with an optimized rogue. Oh god~ It's a big help because those traps lower are brutal. Disable Device really help. You can skim on Open Lock (cause of thieves tool), or hide/move silently/spot/listen (cause of various Kaedrin spells) but god help you if you skim on Disable device and 5 Set Trap (to get +2 synergy for DD). Your only boost is Dexterity boost, by spells or potions. I run out of Cat Grace Potions~
    ----
    On EXP farming in NWN2 engine.

XP gain from killing a hostile scale with level average. Example: Before battle you summon a level 2 wolf which drove down your LA from 7.5 down to 6.5. The XP gain will be larger than without said wolf.

So there's merit in summon a wolf, lock it in a closed room, then initiate battle. Too fiddly perhaps, but exploit game engine is exploit game engine~

Because Kill XP scale with level average, but quest XP does not... It might be a worthwile strategy to explore and kill wherever possible, only deviate from too hard areas. After Kill XP fall to low level, would be the time to start harvesting Quest XP.

Baldur's Gate city is chock full of quest XP but not much kill XP, and in reverse, TOSC areas are dungeons full of Kill XP and not much Quest XP. So I am dungeon delving TOSC. Currently at level 9.
    The single Werewolf Island (and selaad battle ) is enough to push 5 members into level 10, with Kivan lack behind.I still got the whole Baldur's City quest XP waiting to be harvested, from chapter 5 onward, so it's possible to get to level 11. We shall see~

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.