1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help with Opening Doors to Next Dungeon

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Nippaditty, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Cool !!. I'd like to download some of those. After 15 or 20 years of seeing the same characters and same speech responses it'll be like a new game :D

Thanks again.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Takes a bit of work to get the ones for the BG series to work right however.
    I'd really recommend IRFanView's batch conversion/rename function.
    If you look carefully, there is an option to resize, and a way to quickly have it covert an entire directory tree including sub-directories.

http://www.irfanview.com

I know that there is Microsoft's "Image Resizer" that supposedly has a way to do something similar as a batch job, but I never really tried it.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/xp-downloads#2TC=powertoys
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=211477

And GIMP, but I haven't played around with the Graphic Image Manipulation Program in a decade.
    http://www.gimp.org/

Note that these utilities work for all your graphic resizing needs, not just for a few games. Wish I could suggest putting links to these programs on the same page that talks about using the portrait packs from one IE game to another as it would help a lot of users out.

4. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

I guess my pea brain can't figure out how to put those character images into the Icewind Dale game. I guess I have to turn them into something other then a BMP file. The same as the ones I downloaded.

Anyway I did follow a player with his party of players on the Icewind dale site.
    How could his characters have -3 to -7 Armor class ???
    They get into a fight and no one takes any damage. Does he ( or she ) have some kind or cheat download of weapons and armor ??.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I used custom portraits from this site:

http://www.drakonis.org/

6. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

Thanks Beren
    How do I install them into the game ?. Is there a read through with these Avatars ?.
    These are some of the best I've seen. Very Cool.
    I just need to know how to install them to the Icewind dale game. Another question is

(1) Do I have to remove the Images on the original game in order to make room for the new ones ?.

(2 ) Is there a limit to the amount to install ?.

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All you need to do is:

1) Use some sort of digital picture software (e.g. Gimp is a good free one) to scale them to 110 x 170. Sometimes those pics won't scale evenly to 110 to 170, so sometimes you have to play around a bit. For example, if you scale width to 110 and the height is less then 170, then undo it and scale to height of 170 instead. If you scale to height 170 and get a width of less than 110, undo it and scale to a width of 110 instead. This way, you avoid those annoying edges where the picture doesn't fill out the frame.

2) Once you're done, then export them as .bmp files (bitmap)

3) Now save them in the portraits subdirectory of your IWD game directory. If the portraits subdirectory doesn't exist in your IWD game directory, simply create it as a new one.

By the way, if you want to know why I do things in that particular way, I explain it here just under the video called 'The High Summoner:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD/Walkthrough2/chapter-2/dragons-eye-4.php

If you want to check out the guide itself, here's the intro page:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD/Walkthrough2/index.php

8. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

Thanks Beren.
    Others have mentioned this also. I will try my hand at is. I'm not a real techno head
    so I will do my best. It doesn't sound hard to do.

Thanks again

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    IMHO while GIMP is a more powerful tool overall, IRFanview and Microsoft Image Resizer are easier to use for this purpose.
    You can get Image Resizer from the PowerToys tab here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/xp-downloads#2TC=powertoys

For IrFanView, use "Resize/Resample" from the Image menu.

GIMP Is a VERY powerful graphic editing tool, on par with Photoshop. It might be overkill, but it can and will do the job just as well as the tools I mentioned.
    The other two tools are simpler, but can do this particular job just as well as GIMP, the only advantage these days is the UI.
    Technically they also use less memory, but that isn't the concern it was fifteen years ago or even ten years ago unless you're playing these old games on your old computers. In that case, Image Resizer is designed for and will run on any computer that will run XP, while IrFanView will work with Windows 95 (or at least version 3.something will, I know 4.33 will work with Windows 98SE, but I haven't used 95 in a LONG time).

Again, note that GIMP has other functions the two I mention lack. It's like [MIcrosoft] notepad, Notepad++ or Wordpad vs Open Office Writer rather than Microsoft Word vs Open Office Writer.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  10. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

Excellent,, thanks guys. I have to leave for the road but when I get back I will try all the recommendations listed.

Thanks again

11. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

Many things have happened with a family member getting sick and going into
    the hospital. That always comes first and I have no desire to play anyway.
    So I have not been able to continue the game. I'm hoping in the next few weeks
    I will be able to return to the game.

Thanks for all the help

12. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

Hope everyone had a fantastic Thanks Giving.

13. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

Merry Christmas

to all of you dungeon crawlers.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.