1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bug fixing

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by MindChild, Jul 15, 2005.

1. beerbeer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Still a no go

Thanks for getting back to me, Mindchild, but I'm still having trouble. When I use your patcher (GOG version) I get this response: 'the flie to patch has an invalid checksum.'

When I use the patcher in post #93 it claims to install fine but the changes aren't present in the game.

Maybe Windows 7 is causing these snags?

Thanks

2. MindChild

MindChild Science should not set limits to imagination Resourceful Veteran

try this one: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxu7DFeKfYs5ekMxdTZhVmZEd00/edit?usp=sharing

once patched it will give file version and size. Then right click IWD2.exe and go to properties. click the details tab. If the "Product Version" entry is not CustomDLL, then it isn't patching.

If your user does not have write permissions to the file, you will need to run this patcher under a user that does have write permissions. (this is why i install all my old games on a different partition that isnt locked down the way "C:bad:program files" is)

3. beerbeer Gems: 1/31

Many thanks!

That one did the trick! Thanks again, Mindchild. This game is SO much more playable without the favored class, ECL & alignment restrictions.

4. MADMIKE815 Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Odd?

First of all love this mod your doing and excellent job. Have a couple questions.

Ok so I was also having the checksum error, and the patcher fixed it that i downloaded from your link. However now when I pull up my task manager in game, (I'm notorious for using walkthroughs so I can squeeze every bit of game knowledge together for a max exp. and reward scenario.) It does not show that the IWD2.exe is running so I can not minimize the game. I use Windows 7 SP1 updated with all the latest stuff for my windows software. Also I noticed since it's like the program isn't working my hacker from Archea that allowed me inf ability points, skill points, and feats (MUWHAHAHAHAHAH..........oh now I'm sad.) Isn't working. I figure this is because it seems to it that the game is not running since it's not in my task manger. I'm unfortunately not a code monkey, (not a derogative term, more a loving reference to the series code monkey......:banana:CODE MONKEY LIKE FRITOS, CODE MONKEY LIKE TAB AND MOUNTAIN DEW.:banana:Sorry back on topic.) and don't have a lot of experience with troubleshooting so this is my best guess.

And for my last trick...I mean question........What program do you use to edit the defaultchargenbank lines to adjust the starting stat points. I tried using a txt editor on my icewind2 file which I thought is where you said it was but under any of my options it was not there. I did however find it in another file in a bunch of jarbled code that I couldn't discern all the weird signs and hieroglyphics, but it had no point values after them. Was this the file you were referring to and did you use a special application to browse it and edit it.

Phew now that is over I humbly await your response, and once again love your work. Thank you.

5. MindChild

are you running it as another user? i would recommend clicking the "show all user processes" at the bottom. If it werent running, it wouldnt have a window.
    Are you using a hider of some sort that can hide windows on the fly?
    Are you using a preloader (open something else that opens iwd2.exe)?
    how are you opening task manager? why not alt tab, instead? or windows tab...
    did you rename the exe something else (i know, bottom of the barrel CSR line :p)
    also, it is inferred, but you are looking in the processes tab, yes?

You could also try ctrl+shift+esc to go straight to the task manager in case the ctrlaltdel is stopping it (highly unlikely)
    or alt+tab...or windows key to force a minimize.

it is a text editor. I prefer notepad++ but any text editor will work (vi anyone?) The option is not listed as it is a hidden option, you will have to add it to the bottom of the correct section (i think i mentioned it previously...i didnt go through the effort of finding that post again...sry)

6. MADMIKE815 Gems: 1/31

Veteran

No to all of the above, as it is running in the processes, however in the application tab it does not show the Icewind Dale 2 program icon as running. Alt+Tab after pressing it a couple times did indeed get me to the webpage so i can work with that but I'm still curious as to why it wouldn't show up in the applications tab and why the trainer isn't working either. When right clicking on the process it only lets me set priority, end process, process tree, etc.

Excellent sorry I didn't understand that bit earlier about having to actually add those lines of code into the game options in the Icewind2.txt file.

If you have any other ideas for me as to why the application tab is not showing the program running please let me know, because I think this is directly related to why the trainer for some reason is not acting like the game is running. Other than that HAPPY ONCE AGAIN for being able to have many stat points! Thanks MindChild as usual you've helped me greatly.

7. MindChild

have you tried windowed mode? is your trainer for version 2.01? have you tried running in windows compatibility mode as windowsxp? are you running the trainer as administrator (sometimes this is necessary to access memory of other programs).

Also, there is a bug with the rogue multiplier that i have been informed about. A fix has been developed and integrated into my new version, but that version is still in the works and has yet to be released (laptop died, had to get new one, now have windows 8...ugh the learning curve is VERY high...now working in VS 2012 express...)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  8. MADMIKE815 Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Yes; Yes; no will try when I'm off work Friday; Yes.
    So what I do know thus far if I delete the patch for the mod to work, it indeed shows up in my applications tab when windows button is pushed. When I install the patch for the mod to work it does not, but the IWD2.exe is in my processes tab on both accounts. However only when patch is installed does the trainer not work (I have checked and double checked to make sure I'm running everything as administrator, and also double checked the scenario of the patch situation. It is only when the patch is installed for the mod to work that Icewind Dale 2 does not show up in my applications tab in the task manager. Very odd indeed though I'm still using it cause I did the point pool work around and am able to use that now. Still I'm completely baffled. I'm curious am I the only one that has had this problem that has also had the check-sum problem or has any one else.

Ouch sorry to hear man......but I AM GLAD TO HEAR NEW VERSION!!!! Can't wait to see what stuff you have upcoming along with the normal upkeep.

9. dunehunter Gems: 1/31

I am glad your mod is still alive! Since i last emailed you about the sneak attack problem, my 3rd iwd ii playthrough was stuck in Chapter 1, i eager to see your new version very much !

10. dunehunter Gems: 1/31

@mindchild a quick question plz, will the the rogue's backstab multiplier followes 2e rules or be nerfed a bit? Since iwd2 is based on 3e, a 2e version of backstab may be too powerful. thanks!

11. EpitomyofShyness Gems: 1/31

I cannot get your mod to work, which is making me sad. I've tried your most recent patcher posted in this thread, but when I checked the version in details it was blank.

I was having the same checksum error as the others with the Ouinja Patcher, I installed on C but outside of program files.

Windows 7, 64 bit.

Your mod is the first I tried to install, I have the gog version.

12. roshan Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Spontaneous Casting doesn't work with the mod, I get a CTD when I shift click my cleric's spells.....

---------- Added 0 hours, 5 minutes and 23 seconds later... ----------

I just tested some more, clerics can't spontaneously cast, but the druid spontaneous casting works fine.....

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 1 seconds later... ----------

If I turn off the druid's spontaneous casting in the config file, then the cleric's starts working.....

13. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Well, I'm having the same issues with the patch. Just purchased the GOG version, followed the instructions, and tried the IWD2 Patcher from Googe Docs, but I get the checksum error.

I'm using Win8.1, 64 bit machine if that's where the issue lies.

14. nocker Gems: 1/31

I have the gog.com version and managed to install this mod using the google drive patcher. Everything seems to be working, with one notable exception: The weapon finesse feat became unselectable. I have a lvl 3 rogue with str 16 and dex 20 that was itching to get it.

Anything I should do about this?

EDIT: I figured it out: You need to get weapon focus on a weapon first to unlock weapon finesse.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  15. dunehunter Gems: 1/31

Applied the latest patcher, the file version is Customdll, but still get the checksum error.

Btw, i use my old pc, windows xp 32-bit, still dont get the luck to install it :/

16. gibberishh Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    First, thanks for the patch. I noticed the last post in this thread is almost 7 years old, so I don't know whether to expect a response. No harm trying, right?

I downloaded the 1.5.0 version that is publicly available from sorcerers. The gog patch ran correctly. I know it's working because SaveSkillPoints and EnableCheats both work. However, I'm having a problem with rogue sneak attack. On a successful hit, the info window says something like "Sneak attack -21450" (I'm writing from memory, the message is a little different and the number is definitely different, but it's a 20K+ amount). Then it seems nothing happens. The swing animation appears to miss, there is no 'thwack' sound, and the target's health still shows Uninjured.

I tried it on several targets to be sure that they can be backstabbed (I still call it that). I have now turned off the switch and reverted to regular sneak attacks. :(

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Also, is there a way to prevent the DLL from generating the log? Now that I know it works, I don't need to know it every time I run the game, or get a copy of my custom.txt.

Thanks!

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    @MindChild is probably subscribed to the thread, but it won't hurt if you PM him too.

18. Resto Gems: 1/31

A big thanks for the creator of patch. It brought some strange bugs through, namely, some feats are always available, regardless of prerequisits. So far I noticed the problem with Maximized Attacks and those worthless additional druid shapes. Well, taking Shambling Mound Shape for a low-level bard may actually be fun, but it'll be cheating.
    Edit: reinstallation fixed it. Either it was a random bug or I somehow cause it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  19. gibberishh Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Update: My sneak attack got fixed too, all of its own accord. Quite possibly I was doing something wrong. If the author ever reads this post though, I would still very much like to turn off the log output... :) I'm afraid he's left the site though... no response to PM either.

20. Urek Gems: 1/31

I know that the author is not on the forums anymore, but has anyone tried running it on multiplayer? Unfortunately, due to the fact that after installation of the mod it always has different versions on start I can't connect with the other player due to the version mismatch.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.