1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Backer Beta Updates

Discussion in 'Pillars of Eternity' started by Marceror, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Remember this is a 2D game, so there aren't too many environment animations, but what there is generally is pretty good.

Water animations are excellent. Spell animations look great (though could stand to be scaled back in my opinion -- just a little over the top for my taste). You'll see birds and other things flying by, and it looks really good.

It appears that animated plants were removed. There were definitely swaying trees and grass in some of the earlier videos. Not sure if they will be coming back.

The 2D painted backgrounds are absolutely top notch.

2. Hugin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG]
    Not necessarily for the better, no. But not because of D&D either.

I really want to love this game - It could be so awesome. But ALL those changes being made? I was not expecting so much stuff to be changed, when I heard of a "spiritual successor" to the old IE games.

MANY of the changes made, were simply because the dev's didn't like the way it worked in the IE games.

I will give examples if you like, but that is why I am feeling a bit sad about Eternity. Unnecessary changes that feel.... Just WRONG....

Sorry 'bout my little rant. I am generally a positive person :)

Hey, and they still have 3 months to make the game better. I believe they can do it... :)

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    One small "win" is that in the next release character inventory will be increased from 8 slots to 16 - and in fact there is a fan made mod recently created that makes this change.

Only having 8 inventory slots per character has been a sore spot for many beta testers, as it feels distinctly unlike the Infinity Engine for no good reason. Tactical inventory? Who thought that would be fun?

Screen of the mod created by Sensuki
    [​IMG]

4. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Definitely a change for the better, now you'll be able to carry 16 mountains instead of a mere eight :p.

5. Marceror

Media:
    Backer Beta version 301 was released last night. The patch notes are included:

Looks like a pretty nice collection of improvements, and generally speaking the feedback has been positive at the Obsidian boards. I haven't had the chance to try it out yet personally, and likely won't spend much time with it any time soon due to WL2.

But I did want to share.

olimikrig and Taluntain like this.
  6. Shardnax Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Thanks for the update.

7. Marceror

Media:
    Backer Beta 333 now live

8. Hugin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

bb 392

Backer Beta 392 is up, and there has been many small changes :

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have been playing the Backer Beta. My personal opinion is that the devs rushed this update out to us for Christmas. Although we appreciate their doing that there are some bugs some more important than others.
    1) You cannot create a custom party unless you kill off the BB party members. There is no problem creating your player character or the sixth member of the party. The bug seems to be in dismissing one of the BB party members. The game hangs when you try to leave the inn.

2) On the world map there are three areas you can go to. The village where you start, Stonewall Gorge and Dyrford Crossing which does not appear at the very start. People have reported issues with transition if they go to Stonewall Gorge before Dyrford Crossing appears on the map. However I tried it recently and it appeared to be working for me.

3) The paladin has a bug when you use Zealous focus. After the battle when he tries to disable the talent it goes into a loop. I have never been able to get him out of the loop but others have reported and posted workarounds. Which didn't work for me but who knows I may have missed something.

There are of course other things but nothing game breaking that I have seen. Combat is still being heavily discussed. I find that Easy modeis just that easy, Normal is harder and does require using tactics. I find it challenging. I haven't played hard and that is where the major discussion lies. Seems there still needs balancing there.

I am enjoying the BB. I was hesitant about trying but there are no spoilers and it gives me a chance to relearn how to play a game that needs some real thinking right from building your player character.

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    On the Obsidian BB forum we have been told we will have one more Backer Beta. BAdler stated that they do not know how much longer they will keep things open.

I assume this means that any backer who wishes to update his or her pledge should do so now. Currently the devs are working on the PAX build. Two months to go.

11. eumelzan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

Bought this game. I can't wait!

12. Nakia

Media:
  13. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

It looks like the game is going to come out right in a part of the year when I am extremely busy. I'll probably not have much time to play it until a month later.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Playing games right after they come out isn't something that I subscribe to personally since I don't really enjoy wasting my time on beta-testing games. Pretty much anything released in the last 10+ years needs several rounds of patching to bring it to something resembling an enjoyable playing experience and I'm not really expecting PE to be any different in this regard.

15. Shardnax Gems: 6/31

Veteran

I've encountered two audio bugs so far, if you don't close the tutorial pop-up the sound loops (quitting to menu and reloading fixes) and sometimes the fade for voices is way off and it sounds distant when the character is on screen. Other than that it's been smooth sailing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.