1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Flashing Graphics Glitch in Fullscreen

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Darek Death, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Darek Death Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The Problem:
    The Mac version of Icewind Dale hasn't worked in ages so I got the full set (IWD, HOW, IWD2, et cetera) for Windows and I've installed them on a Wineskin wrapper I generated with Wineskin Winery. I'm also writing a Launcher.exe for them so I can have them both on the same wrapper and be able to switch between them without going into Wineskin and changing the run.exe.

They work perfectly except for this one graphic glitch; the screen flashes super fast in Fullscreen and I see parts of my Desktop or windows or whatever would be behind the game in some frames, they're jumbled up in some frames, and some frames have random colored blocks spread over the area. But in some of the flashing frames I do see what I should be seeing. I was able to fix this in the first game in Config by turning on the 3D Acceleration. Default OpenGL Driver since the 3D Setup program fails to connect or whatever, and 32-Bit Textures is checked.

However there is no option to do this in the Config for IWD2. Because of the look of it and how I fixed it in IWD1 I think it might be a frame rate issue. Anyway, I searched online about it and I saw recommendations to install the fixes and tweaks and stuff at Gibberlings3 so I did hoping they'd fix the glitch but they haven't. I searched online more and found an Install Guide which said that Giberlings3 Widescreen Mod helps fix graphic glitches which sounded similar to my issue but that didn't help either.

What I've Done:
    By opening icewind2.ini and changing "3D Acceleration=0" to "3D Acceleration=1" the start logos and video run perfectly, it loads the first menu which looks perfect, but then when I select any of the menu options the problem starts again, and returning to menu the glitch is still in effect. Checking the icewind2.ini after shows that 3D Acceleration has returned to =0. I researched this online and I got mixed answers. Most sources say that 3D Acceleration was never added to IWD2 due to time constraints, others say the reason the option isn't in Config.exe is because it cannot run without 3D Acceleration so its always on. However I'm thinking it's the former.

I tried messing around in the icewind2.ini some more but nothing helped. Increasing Maximum Frame Rate has no effect. Trying to get a fullscreen window by setting it to Window mode and changing Resolution=1024 to Resolution=1920 (like IWD1 has with the Widescreen Mod) doesn't work because it just reverts to 800x600. Changing the resolution with Widescreen Mod to 1920x1080 doesn't work because the Mod forces Fullscreen, if anyone knows a way around Widescreen Mod forcing Fullscreen that might help me too.

I've tried dozens of solutions to what sounded like this issue online, and none of them worked. Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit won't run through Wineskin at all; likely missing required Operating System files since Wineskin does not contain a full copy of any Windows OS. DDrawFix installed fine but didn't fix the glitch. Et cetera.

Reducing my refresh rate to a lower hertz through System Preferences doesn't work either, since the monitor; regardless of what resolution the game is running in; always runs at 1920x1080 60Hz. It works in window mode because then it sets the game to my system preference setting of resolution and refresh rate, but when it goes into fullscreen it presents itself at a lower resolution and refresh rate which conflicts with the monitors refresh rate. Does anyone knows how to fix this issue or how I can set IWD2 to 60Hz in Fullscreen to test if that fixes it? It would really help me.

Further Information:
    I've also posted this information about this on the Gibberlings3 forum within my thread asking for help with the Widescreen Mod.
    http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=26617

2. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Are you sure? I could've sworn I saw a framerate option in the config. Check carefully.

If not, i guess I'm confusing it with another game.

If I understand you, you're running ID2 for Windows on a Mac with an emulator. That's probably beyond the expertise of this forum, though you could try here.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Such issues are best posted in the game's forums since they're game-specific, so the thread's in the right place.

4. Darek Death Gems: 1/31

Thank you for your reply. Under AI Options in the Config it has a framerate option, but like I said in paragraph 5 (paragraph 2 of What I've Done) I adjusted that and it has no effect. I was hoping there was a mod out there to add the 3D acceleration (or something like that) like in IWD1 because that fixed the same issue in IWD1.

Wine isn't exactly an emulator. Mac programs work by containing many different kinds of files within them so that it can call everything it needs from within 1 file.app. Wine is a way of structuring the app so that when it reads the .exe data and that program calls on Windows OS frameworks and other files those files are also in the app and it can locate them within the app so that it doesn't crash.

I'll try installing IWD2 on Windows 8.1 Pro which I can run simultaneously (in a different screen which I can slide through using ctrl+arrow keys on a single monitor) using Parallels 8 and seeing if it still has the problem. But I think it will since Windows software tends to act mostly the same on Mac.

The reason I don't just play it on Windows in the first place is because running two Operating Systems simultaneously eats up a lot of RAM. And because I want a single file that can run IWD + expansions + additional content + IWD2 + additional content, which can only be done on Mac. Plus I can delete the content that comes on the game discs and give it to my friends who are Mac users who don't own Parallels or Windows OS and they can install it onto the app and play the games.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Is there Mac-specific additional content?

Maybe you can refer me to it. It can't play it, but at least I can add it to the mod list sticky

6. Darek Death Gems: 1/31

Just stuff from Gibberlings3, like the IWD/IWD2 Fix and Tweaks and UB and such for the most part. I'm using the data for the Windows game so the Windows based stuff is what works with it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.