1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help with Opening Doors to Next Dungeon

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Nippaditty, Jul 16, 2014.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    IWD I and II are two completely different games. Different rule sets, different plots, different enemies, different final bosses. Some of the locations are the same, but that's about it.

2. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

OK,,great thanks. I have IWD II but I want to finish this game first. I'm embarrassed to admit that this is the farthest I ever got in this game in 10 years. One was I got to the Evil priests and my hard drive crashed and lost the game. I don't play all the time and that's another factor. I'm glad I got this far and will finish the game.

Once again thanks for all the help.

3. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

Another question. As I mentioned before I had in the party

Fighter
    Ranger
    two Mages
    Cleric
    Theif

But I found a sword and a shield that no one can use in my party.
    Can't be used by a
    Druid
    Mage
    Cleric
    Thief
    Why can't my fighter use it or my Ranger ???

4. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

Is there an alignment restriction? Do you have a two handed weapon equipted? What are their names?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are many items in the game that require a specific race, alignment, class, or (in at least one case IIRC) a specific multi/dual class combo.

6. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

I was going to get the names of the weapons but like I'm on the 4 or 5 level of the Severed Hand dungeon. It would really be tough to go back get the names from the weapons shop that I sold them to.

At this point I just walked into a level with Skelton's with blades for arms right there to meet us. No room to maneuver in and I can't use long distance mass weapons ( fire balls ) because I will take out my own characters . How do I handle this one,

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Violently. Remember they are undead (normal protection against undead apply) and, as skeletons, are vulnerable to blunt attacks while being partially immune to piercing and slashing attacks. You'll be running into more of these.

8. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

looks like I will be going back to the town anyway to get some Healing potions and some magical blunt weapons :D

9. T2Bruno

Media:
    Conlon's Hammer is a must to have. If you sold it buy it back. It is one of the few weapons in the game that can hit every opponent in the game.

p.s., please stop bolding everything.

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There are lots of Priest Spells that help against undead. Pause the game and read through your spell selection for your cleric. Blunt weapons are a must vs. anything Skeleton. Also, remember to Turn Undead.... if you have a single class Cleric, he should be pretty good at this by now.

11. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

Ok,, I think my Cleric is using the Conlon's Hammer but does not have good Armor.

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    How do you handle them? You have to be blunt with them to tell them you don't want to play with them. They don't have the brains to understand anything with more finesse like a sword. You've got to hammer the point home, and hit them over the head with it.

In other words, use blunt weapons on skeletons (I think these guys are boneguards or something like that) that aren't turned by your cleric or paladin, and have the guy in front buffed up to be really hard to hit while eveyone else wails on them with maces, flails, quarterstaves, morning stars, clubs, and hammers. Be rather blunt w

Have your cleric and/or paladin turn undead. That can take a lot of heat off of your party by making them flee. As skeletons they may be resistant to arrows and quarrels, but if you have ease-of-use or G3 treaks unlimited stacking, you should have plenty of ammo to burn on the scared undead. Slings work well too.

Also check out the spells specific for fighting undead, like hold undead, sol's searing orb, sunray, and sunfire among others.

13. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

OK, I'll do that :p:D

First of all all my Characters are Woman ( Elf ) and so the most buffed I can get her is a One ( 1 ) Armor.
    She does take hits and fast with the upper level Monsters. I do use the "Turn the Dead" inherent spell. I hear
    the spell Growl but the Skeletons don't run away. How often can you use that spell per battle ?.

What is that ?.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2014
  14. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    In general, in 2nd edition, gender shouldn't make any difference. Why can't you get a decent AC? Only thieves, druids, and magic users should have high AC, everyone else should be below zero.
    Elf chick or not, if she's a cleric or warrior type (Fighter, Ranger, or Paladin) she should be in the heaviest armor available. This isn't 3rd edition where you lose your DEX bonus to AC when wearing full plate. In 2nd edition, you might take movement penalties in certain armor types (not implemented in Infinity Engine games, those are P&P rules), but you keep your DEX bonus.

Turning Undead, like the Bard Song, is unlimited in 2nd edition. Use it much like you would the rogue's Detect Traps. Turn it on and let them turn the undead.
    Some of those boneguards should flee after a round or two, unless you're doing a low-level run or using a triple-classed Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User or a dual-class Cleric->Something else (figher,ranger,thief,magic-user) that's too low a level.
    The cleric cannot take any other actions other than movement while turning.

Look at the mods section of Sorcerers Place
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD/index_mods.php
    You'll find both the depreciated but still effective ease-of-use mod, and a link to the "Icewind Dale Tweak Pack" aka G3 Tweaks (that might just be the name for the BG or BG2 equivalent mod) at Gibberlings3.

The tweak pack can do everything ease-of-use did, and more. It's just that I'd been using ease-of-use since I got the game out of the box (having played Baldur's Gate first, and knowing my pack-rat tendencies, I looked for a way to increase the arrow stacking right away since I knew the game was a couple years old when I got it). The successor to ease-of-use only came about less than five years ago, while I'd played the game back in 2003. So I keep saying that name because I'd been advocating it for 10 years. It cuts down on some frustration with inventory management without adversely affecting gameplay.

15. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

turn undead is not always instant anyway. It takes a little bit of time to get working and if you have AI on (I don't but many people do) then she may start attacking which turns Turn Undead off. Make sure she does not attack and has it on and after a few seconds some of the undead may flee or if you are powerful enough they may explode.

Also make sure your characters stats are high enough to use the items in question. Granted in IWD that usually isn't a problem since many people tank non-combat ability scores to give most of their characters max stats to all important abilities but if your elf has lowish str then perhaps that is why she can't equip some stuff. If it is too low boost your str with a spell and then equip the item.

16. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

Ohhh,, I did not know that. Good info. Thanks.

Actually their all Elves. That is also good info.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  17. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I have only seen the weakest undead explode in IWD1 in normal gameplay when backtracking to previous areas to pick up loot left behind in containers where I find a skeleton I managed to miss the first time around (I didn't have HoW for the first five years I owned the game, and thus didn't have the bags of holding or other portable containers). Usually the undead you meet are too powerful or you're too low level to make things explode.

Now importing a high-level party to Easthaven in normal mode (NOT Heart of Fury mode) is another matter entirely.

Also to clarify from earlier, if you have a dual-classed cleric, who started as a cleric, only the cleric level matters.
    A cleric who dueled to a thief at level 2 that is now a 12th level thief probably won't be able to turn those boneguards. When turning, he's treated as a 2nd level cleric, along with everything else related to cleric abilities, such as being a 2nd level divine spellcaster. For saves, he's treated as a 12th level thief, since those are lower than a 2nd level cleric across the board.
    On the other hand, a 3rd level fighter dualed to a cleric, that is now a 9th level cleric (figher 3->Cleric 9) would have a decent chance at making a few of those boneguards flee. Said cleric is treated as a 9th level cleric, and the fighter levels only provide those extra weapon proficiencies (provided they were in weapons allowed in a cleric's ethos) and the fighters CON bonuses to HP and exceptional strength.

18. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

19. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    You're welcome.
    Just a reminder, in case you are confused by my posts, as a lot of people have trouble remembering this.
    In AD&D 2nd edition, lower THAC0 (replaced by BAB in 3E where higher is better), AC (Opposite of 3E), and saving throws is better.

20. Nippaditty Gems: 2/31

Just to see what is going on,, I started playing "Ice Wind Dale II "
    I noticed that Wizards can use Shields and Swords. What's up with that?
    Are they using newer or different rules ?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.