1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Divinity

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Vhailor, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

Has anyone played any of the Divinity games? I am considering playing them especially Divinity Original Sin.

2. Vhailor

*bump*
    seriously no one has played any of the Divinity games?

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I started on Divine Divinity, but it didn't really suck me in and there's so many other (unplayed) games vying for my attention, I still haven't gotten around to playing it much further than the tutorial.

4. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've played "Divinity II: Flames of Vengeance" and rather enjoyed it..
    I remember it as being more lighthearted and humorous than most other RPGS, but still with a decent enough story an some interesting NPCs.

I own the first one as well, but never got around actually playing it, so I cannot comment on that.

I've only played "Original Sin" briefly during beta.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Checked up on Original Sin and it looks very very interesting. The user reviewers tout it as the best RPG since BG2 and some even made PST comparisons.

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I began playing "Orignial Sin" yesterday, and I'm enjoying it so far. A little too early to say much about the story, but I like the turn based combat quite a lot. Plays a little like ToEE.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Also bought it, it seems like it has everything IE fans would want. I am a slow starter in games and this one doesnt hold your hand but all you old school fans should check it out.

olimikrig likes this.
  8. olimikrig

Media:
    I'll recommend it as well. The only "complaint" I have is that it really speak to the chronic restarter in me. I'm on my fourth attempt now :p.

In the beginning combat is pretty hard, and you really have to consider all your options (remembering that fleeing is also an option ;)). It gets easier though once you start hitting the "higher" levels (5+).

9. Vhailor

Where do the npc companions come from? Do you make your own or choose?

10. olimikrig

Media:
    You choose. There are two in the first city that you can get to join you, these have dialogue and will react upon the story.

Later on you will unlock the ability to hire a very wide variety henchmen at your homestead. To my knowledge these do not have any unique dialogue, but are just "troops".

You make two main characters, unless you play co-op, in which case you make one each.

11. joacqin

Media:
    But yeah, safe often, very often. The game is very unforgiving. A small mistake you didnt even know can turn an entire city hostile.

12. Vhailor

What is the story like?

13. joacqin

Media:
    Dunno yet, haven't gotten that far. Hasn't grabbed me.

14. olimikrig

Media:
    The story is all right. I've only just solved the murder (the initial main quest), so we'll see.

15. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Surprised there isn't a seperate board for this, as it's been pretty highly anticipated. Backed it back in the day and just started playing now that the patches are out, and I must say it plays pretty good, though it doesn't suck me in (so far) like BG2 did. But then again: no game has.

Anybody has a good idea for a stable build. Played through the first 'dungeon' (if one can call it that) and did all right with a priest and a paladin - as they just heal each other - but I might start missing "magic" soon, especially if the NPC's aren't mages. So I will check the city who could join and base my characters on those types and start over (as it's just been an hour anyway).

Tried to break from the usual approach and made the female a fighter and the male a nurse - I mean priest - but it just doesn't feel right. :D

16. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

1 of the companions is a mage the other is a fighter. So I have like 2 mages and a cleric with sword and shield and a 2hander fighter as my team right now.

17. olimikrig

Media:
    I would make one of you mains a wizard and put one point in each of the four elemental types and 1-2 points in witchraft. It's super powerful having more than one caster to setup Rain/blitzbolt combos, and Blind is borderline OP.
    I would then focus on 2 elements, probably geo and pyro seeing as Jahann's focus is on the other 2 elements.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  18. joacqin

Media:
    Magic is powerful, you want one of your characters to be a mage with focus on fire, earth and witchcraft.

I am finishing up the first zone and I must say that I am really getting into it. Still can't say much about the over arching story but the side quests and atmosphere are great. I am also really enjoying the combat, most fights seem impossible at first but with some tactics and thoughts they are doable.

19. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I am downloading, as this simply appears to be a game I have to have in my collection.

Between this, Wasteland 2, and the Pillars Beta launching on 8/18, I think I'm going to need to quit my job and become a recluse for a year or so.

What I wouldn't do for a little more free time.

20. joacqin

Media:
    Gotten quite a bit into the game, still very enjoyable but the combat has gotten a bit easy. Up to now the hardest fights were in the first zone. I might have gotten too good at computer games though. I am also very humble. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.